[Weekes] Markstrom on the Move?

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

There are quite a few playoff calibre teams that need goaltending upgrades.  I can see the appeal of Markstrom.

EDM and TOR are probably knocking down the door to get to Marky.  Neither team has a lot to offer, but I think TOR might have the edge in terms of tradeable assets.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

EDM and TOR are probably knocking down the door to get to Marky.  Neither team has a lot to offer, but I think TOR might have the edge in terms of tradeable assets.

Don't forget Carolina and New Jersey, both teams could use a major G upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Nylander would probably fetch a pretty good haul :classic_dry:

• Haha 2

He's had a pretty strong rebound year, but the Flames suck right now. A contender could use him if they need a good starting goalie. A bit old for a long-term investment though.

• Cheers 2

Teams like the Oilers and New Jersey NEED better goaltending. They have the punch to score, but can't keep it out of their own net and need to figure that out if they want any chance of winning a cup. If Calgary can't get into the playoff picture before the deadline I can totally see them moving him along with a assuming a questionable contract for futures. (Along with their other high profile players like Tanev, etc)

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Let's take a moment to appreciate the fact we have not had to worry about that position for nearly 2 decades.  Big kudos and respect for Ian Clark.  Thank goodness we kept him.

Here's a reminder of what things looked like in 2005-06 (pre-Luongo, Marky, and Demko):

Alex Auld - 67 GP

Dan Cloutier - 13 GP

Mika Noronen - 4 GP

Maxime Ouellet - 4 GP

Rob Mcvicar - 1 GP

The Luongo acquisition was one of the best trades we've made, it also got us Makrstrom in the end

But Markstrom and Demko highlight why being able to develop players is important, and Demko is an example of why 2nd round picks aren't the throwaway currency some folks make them out to be 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

The Luongo acquisition was one of the best trades we've made, it also got us Makrstrom in the end

But Markstrom and Demko highlight why being able to develop players is important, and Demko is an example of why 2nd round picks aren't the throwaway currency some folks make them out to be 

I think being able to develop players is hugely important.  Draft all the talent you want, but if you don't develop them properly, you're hooped.  If Oilers didn't luck out and stumble into 1st OA while McDavid was available, where would they be?  Their player development is terrible.  Same with the Canucks for years.  We just didn't have the fortune of drafting 1st OA and picking a generational talent.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I think being able to develop players is hugely important.  Draft all the talent you want, but if you don't develop them properly, you're hooped.  If Oilers didn't luck out and stumble into 1st OA while McDavid was available, where would they be?  Their player development is terrible.  Same with the Canucks for years.  We just didn't have the fortune of drafting 1st OA and picking a generational talent.

Agreed

The best way to acquire top end talent and maintain a sustainable competitive window hinges upon being able to not only draft, but properly develop and integrate your own talent

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ah yes, the Luongo trade.  Almost as good as the Bertuzzi trade.  The almighty Linden trade tree - went on for over 15 years.  Thank you, Mike Keenan!  He ironically shaped the course of this franchise in a good way, and continued to do so as Panthers GM!

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Ah yes, the Luongo trade.  Almost as good as the Bertuzzi trade.  The almighty Linden trade tree - went on for over 15 years.  Thank you, Mike Keenan!  He ironically shaped the course of this franchise in a good way, and continued to do so as Panthers GM!

This is true, but that being said.. fuck Mike Keenan..

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I wish we had traded Markstrom instead of letting him walk so that we could have kept the trade tree going.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed

The best way to acquire top end talent and maintain a sustainable competitive window hinges upon being able to not only draft, but properly develop and integrate your own talent

Or trade for guys like Hronek. Top 10 D man in the league and we got him at 25, so just entering his prime years. 

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Ian Clark AND Rollie Melanson transformed Vancouver from a legit goalie graveyard to a goalie factory.  From a declining McLean to Garth Snow to Kevin Weekes (underrated) to Bob Essensa to Dan Cloutier to Alex Auld... sheesh.  Times were tough.

Oh man, those were tough years.  Vancouver was truly known as a goalie graveyard.

Now we're a goalie factory, and I really have high hopes that with Foote and Gonchar, we are now gonna be a defenceman factory too.  Just imagine how strong the Canucks will be if we constantly produce high quality goalies and defencemen.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2