[News] Dillon Dube has been granted an indefinite leave of absence

Don’t like to speculate but I do wonder if this relates to the 2018 incident.

He was captain of that team after all. Whether he was involved or not I would think it would take its toll knowing what happened.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rubik said:

Team asks for his privacy to be respected- in the same freakin tweet they say he's taking time to deal with his mental health.

Arseholes don't even respect his privacy, but want everyone else to.

bush league.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Team asks for his privacy to be respected- in the same freakin tweet they say he's taking time to deal with his mental health.

bush league.

Mental health can mean many different things. They can’t say he’s gone indefinitely for no reason at all. We’ve seen how that goes over when people are left to speculate. This kind of language is standard around the league. 

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He was captain of that team after all. Whether he was involved or not I would think it would take its toll knowing what happened.

If you don't like to speculate, you probably shouldn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

bush league.

Probably the safest way to actually get people to leave him alone while still saying relatively little imho. 

• Cheers 1

Statement that should have been made

"Dillon has been granted an indefinite leave, and we look forward to his return. We ask for privacy for our player, and will have no further comment".

No need to say why he left, and then ask others to do something, the team did not.

26 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"Dillon has been granted an indefinite leave, and we look forward to his return. We ask for privacy for our player, and will have no further comment".

No need to say why he left, and then ask others to do something, the team did not.

Mental health is pretty broad and nothing to criticize here. 

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Mental health is pretty broad and nothing to criticize here. 

It's something I feel we should commend the Flames for handling.  I cannot imagine a hardcore GM like Lou Lamoriello would tolerate anything like that.

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2024 at 12:55 AM, Gurn said:

Why?

Today people can talk about mental health.

It’s not the dark ages anymore.

This kids mom was one of my teachers in grade 8.  
Sweetest lady ever and I assume she was a great mother.  
However, that little town is a toxic little coke shanty. 
Also, Calgary is a bigger version of said toxic coke shanty.  
I hope he isnt mixed up in some bad shit 

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Because other peoples mental health is none of your business…….

If he wanted to talk to you about it, he would 

Think about ir for a while… The stigma of mental health problems is almost gone.

Today we can talk to each other about it and I can promise you one thing and that is that he and others are less likely to take their own lifes if they can talk to others without feeling shame or embarressment over their problem.

When we can talk about mental health problems as if we does when we get a cold we are where we should be.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, LillStrimma said:

Think about ir for a while… The stigma of mental health problems is almost gone.

Today we can talk to each other about it and I can promise you one thing and that is that he and others are less likely to take their own lifes if they can talk to others without feeling shame or embarressment over their problem.

When we can talk about mental health problems as if we does when we get a cold we are where we should be.

I don’t disagree with this at all.  
However.  
It’s his business and his only.  
Of he wanted to come out and publicly say what he is going through, great. Be an example and break down that stigma.  
But that’s only up to him.  

14 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t disagree with this at all.  
However.  
It’s his business and his only.  
Of he wanted to come out and publicly say what he is going through, great. Be an example and break down that stigma.  
But that’s only up to him.  

To be honest, I believe they already got his permission. 
I know how bad Benning was at this but I really hope his behaviour isn’t standard NHL.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:05 PM, DeNiro said:

With Carter Hart announcing the same thing today, this could be the start of more to come. 

Hate to speculate but I'm not a believer in coincidence.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

20 hours ago, JayDangles said:

With Carter Hart announcing the same thing today, this could be the start of more to come. 

Hate to speculate but I'm not a believer in coincidence.

This is not a coincidence. These guys were clearly given the heads-up that they were about to be revealed as the ones involved in that incident. My guess is that they have all been notified they will be charged, and are preemptively taking time off to deal with it. Once the names are released, they would be suspended from the NHL anyway.

If the evidence proves the NHL knew the names and the teams did as well .... The fall out could be very costly to the entire league as corporate sponsors look to distance themselves from teams that coddled those players and a league that is clearly not capable of policing themselves 

9 minutes ago, Sapper said:

If the evidence proves the NHL knew the names and the teams did as well .... The fall out could be very costly to the entire league as corporate sponsors look to distance themselves from teams that coddled those players and a league that is clearly not capable of policing themselves 

Agreed, although it depends on the level of evidence behind it for the NHL. If its wasn't substantial then its hard to expect them to run people out on rumours. How helpful and upfront they were to the police about what they found out is definitely important to know. Ottawa clearly knew something and acted on it with Formenton, I imagine they would have helped the police based on their stance. I wonder if he was the one with the most obvious evidence against making it easier for Ottawa to act, or were other teams just not as ethical.