PWHL...Any love?

Right off the bat....I'm a fan of the women's game. I was hooked watching them during the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics. Quite frankly, it's easy to cheer for team Canada no matter the discipline.

As well as the Olympics, I follow them in the Worlds, their Canada/USA tourneys and any sport specials. Like the Hayley Wick one. I intend to watch the draft tomorrow morning too. So.....with that being said............

A six team league, all eastern region teams. I love that this is finally coming to fruition. My only hope is that it expands. I'm not sure if it's a product that'll fill top NHL arenas. But I could see that to start, it can be successful in an AHL way. As it stands right now, the salaries are crap for the PWHL. I understand that they gotta start small, but start small correctly. I dunno. I so want it to work. Whadda'yall think?!?!??!?!?!?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sativika said:

Man. After taxes and such, those salaries aren't even good enough for a living wage! Sadly, a day job in the off season is a must. 

Ya, there is no way anyone is living in Toronto or NYC on $35,000/year. Minimum living wage in Vancouver was calculated at $47,000 last year and I'm sure Toronto and NYC aren't much different. However it at least will provide a professional opportunity for women's hockey and hopefully grow quickly enough to at least match AHL salaries within a couple years. 

Edited by Diamonds

I was hopeful that somehow a unified women's league would tie into the NHL. Like imagine Vancouver men's team is in Calgary playing the Flames at the exact same time the Vancouver Lady Canucks host the Lady Flames in VAN. That would be epic. However, I watched the draft, I like the three Canadian clubs in their original 6 and I hope to watch the season!

• 2 months later...
On 12/19/2023 at 8:08 AM, Sativika said:

Okay. Because of news of Cassie moving on from HNIC to the PWHL, I felt it pertinent to bump this thread from the kinda' almost dead!

The women have a game of their own, (Mostly differing rules to men's hockey.) and it's high time for it to come out of hiding. Not that it's hiding. It's just that it gets no respect from the likes of many in CFF. (I'm aware of comments in here, good and BAD!!!!)

I get it. We're Canuck fans. It's the big, bad, and wonderful NHL. Yes. WE love it and so do I. As much as I'm a Canuck fanboy, I'm a fan of any underdog too. (Guess that holds true somewhat with our 'Nucks, huh!) 

Believe me, I'm not trying to convince anyone in here of the virtues of the women's game. Just to say that it's something that we should endear in our hockey loving' lives. 

It could just be me. I mean, I got just as excited when the women got gold in 2010 as I was with the Golden Goal! As a proud Canadian, and I'm sure there's quite a few of us in here; tell me that it didn't affect you.

Think of the opportunity that your lil' grade school age, hockey playing daughter can have if this takes off.  That lil' baby girl that you took to Canuck games with ear mufflers on her and to this day, cheers alongside you for our Canucks. And plays hockey because you took her to games since day one. 

Think of when you asked her what she wants to do and she answered, "I wanna be like Henrik Sedin," or "Elias Pettersson." You might've given her an answer that satisfied her and made her happy, but knowing full well that'd never happen. 

Well. It can. Only it's name like Marie-Philipe Poulin, Sarah Nurse, Hilary Knight, that she'll be saying. And Dad/Mom? You won't be lying to your kid anymore!

Okay. I bolded what I said earlier. I guess I am trying to convince you. What can I say, man.......I believe !!!!!!!!

Women's hockey is in a promising place.  Tickets are selling out fast, and a lot of the best talent is actually still playing college puck.

Hannah Bilka, KK Harvey, Nella Laitinen, and our own Sarah Fillier are all ripping it up in NCAA.  Hopefully the North American skaters make their way into the PWHL after grad.

The PWHL will likely put out a decent product. Ticket prices will likely be cheap enough that families can afford to go. Families with girls playing hockey might prefer to go. Women in the NCAA will be educated for careers that likely pay better than hockey. As is the PWHL has lobbied the NHL for financial support. 

All this aside the women's game has and is improving in a major way. I watch the international play and is very entertaining. Fillier is particularly good. 

I have no interest, not because it's a women's league, but it's because there's no Vancouver team, or even a western team.  Honestly if there was a Vancouver franchise I would totally be into it.  Just can't get behind Toronto, or NY, or Boston, etc

• Like 1

Hopefully they come to Vancouver soon. 
My daughter would be so stoked to go see women’s pro hockey. 

I really hope women come to games and support the hell out of the league, because it is going to need them to survive. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Hopefully they come to Vancouver soon. 
My daughter would be so stoked to go see women’s pro hockey. 

I really hope women come to games and support the hell out of the league, because it is going to need them to survive. 

A lot fewer women are sports fans than men. So it’s going to be a struggle for that league if women are to be their biggest audience. They will need nhl support. 

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

A lot fewer women are sports fans than men. So it’s going to be a struggle for that league if women are to be their biggest audience. They will need nhl support. 

No true anymore Alf. Nearly half of baseball viewers are women. Not sure what the NHL numbers are.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is true, which is why it kinda feels like a future flop waiting to happen IMO. 

The WNBA has never turned a profit and only has about 60-80 mill revenue per year.  
Without the NBA, the league would be gone long ago.  
You shouldn’t need to rely on another league to pay for your survival for 25 years, but the NBA has deep pockets.  
Also, men are 66% of their viewers.  
What a shame.  

What’s going to happen when hockey gets 1/3 of the viewers the WMBA does? (because Americans watch more bball than hockey)

NHL doesn’t have the cash the NBA does, and the NHL owners definitely seem to be more curmudgeonly and cheap. 

• Vintage 1

Can someone explain why this went to a shoot out?

Boston was leading 3-1 at the end of the 3rd... and Ottawa scored 1 goal but credited with 2?

Screenshot 2024-01-01 104957.png

Edited by Heretic

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Can someone explain why this went to a shoot out?

Boston was leading 3-1 at the end of the 3rd... and Ottawa scored 1 goal but credited with 2?

Screenshot 2024-01-01 104957.png

a mistake to get you to look. Women do this kinda magic all the time. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I have no interest, not because it's a women's league, but it's because there's no Vancouver team, or even a western team.  Honestly if there was a Vancouver franchise I would totally be into it.  Just can't get behind Toronto, or NY, or Boston, etc

I get that, but its just starting.

Basically Toronto vs NY is like watching the Canada vs USA teams.

But one day these teams will be the "Originals"

5 minutes ago, Tusk said:

another thing to consider, is the expense of travel. If this does take off out east here, I am sure they could create a Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton/Seattle/Colorado kinda league. East and West Conference/ 

• Like 2

Right now its really fast, playoff style hockey.

Im sure thats because every woman is a previous Olympian... it seems.

As it grows, the skill will get spread out. I like that the team names are just Toronto and New York for example. Maybe when its 16 teams it gets fancy.

20 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I get that, but talk about isolating a huge chunk of North America.