Speculation- Hughes wanting Canucks to trade for Tanev

https://apple.news/AM6SYbZcQT62mm0TraI2qPA

I hope this link works.  First time trying this.

Tanev was always one of my favourite Canucks.  Much like Bieska he bled blue.  If we are going for a cup I couldn’t want any other Dman to join our roster for this run.  It seems Hughes is advocating for this to happen.  Discuss.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Reported price a 1st round pick. Add a cheap prospect for Calgary to retain a serious % on his contract. 

If I'm PA, I wouldn't want to give up a first. I'm too lazy to look, but how much term is left on Tanev's contract?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EB43 said:

Who sits when everyone’s healthy? Tocchet seems to like Myers..

He also seems to be favourable to Juulsen. Good situation to have though, as we in this market know how injuries come into play with this team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hughes plays over 24min a night.  No way Tanev can keep up that pace over a long playoff run.  If he's brought in to play 2nd pairing, I'd be ok with that, but I'd drop his minutes substantially.  I'd imagine a shutdown pair of Soucy and Tanev would be incredible.

Just now, HKSR said:

Hughes plays over 24min a night.  No way Tanev can keep up that pace over a long playoff run.  If he's brought in to play 2nd pairing, I'd be ok with that, but I'd drop his minutes substantially.  I'd imagine a shutdown pair of Soucy and Tanev would be incredible.

Throw in a bit of pk time too!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

https://apple.news/AM6SYbZcQT62mm0TraI2qPA

I hope this link works.  First time trying this.

Tanev was always one of my favourite Canucks.  Much like Bieska he bled blue.  If we are going for a cup I couldn’t want any other Dman to join our roster for this run.  It seems Hughes is advocating for this to happen.  Discuss.

They've got one injury prone dman, they don't need another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Jim Tim said:

We don't really need him if I'm being honest? If we're fully healthy, Juulsen is our #7, Friedman/Hirose/Woo/McWard first call up from Abby. That's pretty strong depth IMO

Friedman is actually on our roster. He is being loaned to Abby on a conditioning stint. He would have to pass though waivers to go down otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

We don't really need him if I'm being honest? If we're fully healthy, Juulsen is our #7, Friedman/Hirose/Woo/McWard first call up from Abby. That's pretty strong depth IMO

35 minutes ago, EB43 said:

Who sits when everyone’s healthy? Tocchet seems to like Myers..

Adding a Dman at the TDL is not about when we're healthy, it's about covering a key position if/when key guys are injured during the playoffs.

I agree we have some good depth for the bottom 2 pairings (Zad, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen, Friedman, McWard).

But I think the team is specifically looking for someone that can pair with Hughes in case of a Hronek injury. Imagine Hronek is out injured for the playoffs, we can't rely on Myers or Juulsen to fill that 1RD spot. 

Puck moving Dmen that might be available at the TDL are: Tanev, Carrier, Fabbro, Jokiharju,...

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

The Canucks have been very lucky this year, but they've gone through 10 or 12 defenceman some years. You can never have too much D depth. Having said that, no way I'm giving up a 1st for a rental of Tanev. The ask would have to be lower, but some other team with a less solid defence core than Vancouver is going to overpay.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, BigTramFan said:

Adding a Dman at this point is not about when we're healthy, it's about covering a key position if/when key guys are injured during the playoffs.

I agree we have some good depth for the bottom 2 pairings (Zad, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen, Friedman, McWard).

But I think the team is specifically looking for someone that can pair with Hughes in case of a Hronek injury. Imagine Hronek is out injured for the playoffs, we can't rely on Myers or Juulsen to fill that 1RD spot. 

I'd rather just send a late pick for another Juulsen type instead of spending a 1st or whatever crazy price they're asking for Tanev - he's known to be injury prone, getting older and slower, and just isn't worth that from a financial standpoint. Rather we go after some younger more cost-controlled guys if we're giving up our 1st.

Also, how would we fit Tanev/other trade acquisition under our cap?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Strawbone said:

The Canucks have been very lucky this year, but they've gone through 10 or 12 defenceman some years. You can never have too much D depth. Having said that, no way I'm giving up a 1st for a rental of Tanev. The ask would have to be lower, but some other team with a less solid defence core than Vancouver is going to overpay.

I find that interesting, since didn't we change up our strength and conditioning coaches/medical staff last year?

6 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

I'd rather just send a late pick for another Juulsen type instead of spending a 1st or whatever crazy price they're asking for Tanev - he's known to be injury prone, getting older and slower, and just isn't worth that from a financial standpoint. Rather we go after some younger more cost-controlled guys if we're giving up our 1st.

Also, how would we fit Tanev/other trade acquisition under our cap?

Yeah I agree with the sentiment, but a Juulsen type is not going to be capable of playing 25 mins/night with Hughes. Look at what playing with a defensively responsible PMD has done for Hughes' game this season - we need a guy that can emulate that (won't be as good as Hronek of course). We don't need more third pairing depth like Juulsen.

Loved Tanev when he was on our team, but don't want to overpay for an older guy that we probably won't resign. Would rather target one of those younger players I mentioned, like Carrier or Fabbro. Mgmt needs to consider long term fit and what they are doing with all of the UFA Dmen next season too.

How will we make the cap work this year? I expect they will be shipping out cap (most likely Kuz) which will give them some space to add a top 6 forward and a PMD (perhaps with salary retained).

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 1