[Waivers] Islanders place F Gauthier on waivers

The New York Islanders placed forward Julien Gauthier on waivers on Friday. 

Gauthier, 26, has scored five goals and four assists over 27 games with the Islanders in 2023-24, his first season with the team. 

The Canadian signed a two-year, $1.575 million contract with the Islanders this summer after spending last season with the Ottawa Senators. The deal carries an average annual value of $787,500.

Gauthier was selected 21st overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft. He has 19 goals and 22 assists over 180 career games with the Hurricanes, New York Rangers, Senators and Islanders. 

https://www.tsn.ca/new-york-islanders-place-f-julien-gauthier-on-waivers-1.2070989

6'4", fast, and hits a lot. Maybe worth it as a 13th forward while PDG is injured?

You do have to wonder why he's had issues sticking on teams though. Is he just terrible defensively or something?

This is the kind of guy we still need to add as playoff depth:  a big-bodied player with speed who can get in on the forecheck and hopefully throw some hits.  It's no coincidence that the two teams who made it to the Finals last year are stocked with these type of players.  If we can grab Gauthier and he can actually play like this, that would be a big coup, as it would allow us to avoid giving up any assets to bring someone like this in before the TDL.  Gauthier has been very inconsistent and underwhelming in is career so far, but he has all the skills to be physically dominant bottom 6'er.  Fingers would be crossed that Tocchet is a coach who could finally bring this out of him.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

This is the kind of guy we still need to add as playoff depth:  a big-bodied player with speed who can get in on the forecheck and hopefully throw some hits.  It's no coincidence that the two teams who made it to the Finals last year are stocked with these type of players.  If we can grab Gauthier and he can actually play like this, that would be a big coup, as it would allow us to avoid giving up any assets to bring someone like this in before the TDL.  Gauthier has been very inconsistent and underwhelming in is career so far, but he has all the skills to be physically dominant bottom 6'er.  Fingers would be crossed that Tocchet is a coach who could finally bring this out of him.

Pettersson    Lindholm    Mikheyev 

Höglander     Miller          Boeser 

Joshua          Blueger       Garland 

Suter             Lafferty       Gauthier 

Yes I like the look of that 4th line. Can be big and nasty. Having Åman as your 13th forward is ideal. Nice depth. 

Let’s go Allvin. Tell JR to put his teeth back in. We have another move to make. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Pettersson    Lindholm    Mikheyev 

Höglander     Miller          Boeser 

Joshua          Blueger       Garland 

Suter             Lafferty       Gauthier 

Yes I like the look of that 4th line. Can be big and nasty. Having Åman as your 13th forward is ideal. Nice depth. 

Let’s go Allvin. Tell JR to put his teeth back in. We have another move to make. 

Exactly how I had it planned out in my mind, except that I still had Hoglander on the 4th line.  He could be that line's agitator.

Will be interesting to see if someone does pick Gauthier up by noon tomorrow though.  If there is any interest in him around the league, I don't like our chances, considering that we'd probably be slotted last in line to get him.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

He's cleared.  Guess we'll have to give up assets to find someone to help us go to war with the Vegas's and Jets of the league.

This is my concern. Vegas and Winnipeg are generally very physical and very big. Our forwards aren't small by any stretch of the imagination, but in a 7 game series, do they survive the rigors of the physicality of the postseason? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

He's cleared.  Guess we'll have to give up assets to find someone to help us go to war with the Vegas's and Jets of the league.

A supposed playoff team waived him, something tells me he isn't a difference maker for a playoff bound team. Cause all the other teams also passed on him. On his 4th team, doubt team number 5 will make it work. If we can't contend with Vegas and Winnipeg, Gauthier wasn't gonna be the tipping point. Lol.