2024 College UFA season

Its a little early but I have so much time on my hands these days so I'd figure we could get a discussion on the amazing prospects this year

Here is the holy grail of prospects which is like picking up a late 1st...

Collin Graf, Quinnipiac University

Playing Position: Right Wing/Centre Height/Weight: 6-foot-1, 194 pounds Age: 21 years old

In the quest for promising free agents with potential, discovering individuals with a winning history adds an extra layer of appeal.

Collin Graf, an exceptional junior player at Quinnipiac, stands out as a highly sought-after undrafted forward emerging from the collegiate arena.

During the previous season, Graf showcased his skills by securing the third spot nationally with 21 goals and 59 points, placing him just behind Adam Fanitlli and Logan Cooley.

His remarkable performance extended into the playoffs, where he contributed eight points in six games, playing a pivotal role in guiding his team to a National Championship. Notably, Graf scored a crucial, game-tying goal in the third period of the Championship match, ultimately leading to their victory.

Despite facing some limitations due to injury, Graf has maintained his stellar form this season, amassing an impressive 29 points. These statistics not only rank him fourth nationwide but also establish his 1.93 point-per-game ratio as the leading figure across the entire field.

Recognized for his proficiency as a skilled winger, Graf possesses an impressive shot, but it's his vision and playmaking prowess that truly set him apart. Whenever he handles the puck, it often results in a creative play.

On the power play, Graf has proven to be a potent shooter, strategically positioning himself along the half-wall and utilizing his right-shot advantage for effective one-timers from the left side.

While his skating remains a work in progress, Graf compensates with deceptive hands and strong vision, allowing him to generate considerable speed during rushes.

Having previously participated in NHL development camps for Florida and Nashville, Graf is anticipated to attract significant interest once again this year.

Many in the hockey community believe he possesses top-six potential at the NHL level, making him a compelling prospect for the upcoming season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Reg said:

In my mind unless you can currently skate at a pro-level it is hardly worth investing time with a player from the NCAA.

What kind of thought process is that?  We just brought in a ton of free agents from college.  Akita Hirose made the jump immediately and would be playing on a rebuilding Canucks team.  The most coveted piece of trade bait is a college free agent we signed 13 years ago - Chris Tanev.  DeSmith and Di Giuseppe were also undrafted college kids.  

The thing about NCAA free agents is that they are 22, 23, even 24 years of age.  They've been under full hockey development for almost a decade at that point.  Those who decide to go pro believe they are NHL-ready or maybe just one year away.

If they look good in the NCAA, there's a decent chance they'll look good in the NHL.  It's a wonderful option for lower end guys still looking to go pro past the age of 20.

With us now being at or near #1 in the league, will any top college FA's want to sign with us?  Will they see any openings on our roster in the near future?  Maybe, but I have to think that most will aim for teams where they see some glaring holes that they can step into sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

With us now being at or near #1 in the league, will any top college FA's want to sign with us?  Will they see any openings on our roster in the near future?  Maybe, but I have to think that most will aim for teams where they see some glaring holes that they can step into sooner rather than later.

some may covet the chance to win a cup early in their careers... Justin schultz?

2 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Think being in a good organization also matters too right. Some NCAA free agents signed with teams that were bad, and their development suffered as a result of it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

Its a little early but I have so much time on my hands these days so I'd figure we could get a discussion on the amazing prospects this year

Here is the holy grail of prospects which is like picking up a late 1st...

Collin Graf, Quinnipiac University

Playing Position: Right Wing/Centre Height/Weight: 6-foot-1, 194 pounds Age: 21 years old

In the quest for promising free agents with potential, discovering individuals with a winning history adds an extra layer of appeal.

Collin Graf, an exceptional junior player at Quinnipiac, stands out as a highly sought-after undrafted forward emerging from the collegiate arena.

During the previous season, Graf showcased his skills by securing the third spot nationally with 21 goals and 59 points, placing him just behind Adam Fanitlli and Logan Cooley.

His remarkable performance extended into the playoffs, where he contributed eight points in six games, playing a pivotal role in guiding his team to a National Championship. Notably, Graf scored a crucial, game-tying goal in the third period of the Championship match, ultimately leading to their victory.

Despite facing some limitations due to injury, Graf has maintained his stellar form this season, amassing an impressive 29 points. These statistics not only rank him fourth nationwide but also establish his 1.93 point-per-game ratio as the leading figure across the entire field.

Recognized for his proficiency as a skilled winger, Graf possesses an impressive shot, but it's his vision and playmaking prowess that truly set him apart. Whenever he handles the puck, it often results in a creative play.

On the power play, Graf has proven to be a potent shooter, strategically positioning himself along the half-wall and utilizing his right-shot advantage for effective one-timers from the left side.

While his skating remains a work in progress, Graf compensates with deceptive hands and strong vision, allowing him to generate considerable speed during rushes.

Having previously participated in NHL development camps for Florida and Nashville, Graf is anticipated to attract significant interest once again this year.

Many in the hockey community believe he possesses top-six potential at the NHL level, making him a compelling prospect for the upcoming season.

There's always room in the top six for Graf here in Canucksland. I can't see Mik being a permanent fixture in the top six with his lack of production, and Suter can't be a serious consideration for permenancy in the top six either. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 8:22 PM, Miss Korea said:

What kind of thought process is that? 

I think you might have missed  "unless they can" part in his post.

I'd presume he thinks that, if by the end of college years you are not an NHL level skater, you are unlikely to improve that skill, and thus unlikely to stick in the 'show'.

However- that discounts the fact that some players can improve their skating like- Bo Horvatt, for example.

• Cheers 1

Canucks are likely too good a team to get many chances with this years Collage guys, at least as far as them getting into games this season.

That said, they have a lot of empty spots to fil next year.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Canucks are likely too good a team to get many chances with this years Collage guys, at least as far as them getting into games this season.

That said, they have a lot of empty spots to fil next year.

the only player good enough is Graf and he might be too weak on the forecheck to fit our playing style... but many many teams scouted him and Jacob Quillian recently when they played on the 25th.

• Cheers 1

• 4 weeks later...