[Rumour] Sabres shopping Mittelstadt, seeking #1 goalie

• Coconuts changed the title to [Rumour] Sabres shopping Mittelstadt, seeking #1 goalie
13 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

They have Levi developing but I'm guessing they want a true #1 to bring him along slowly.  That or they don't believe he can be a true #1

Buffalo, like Ottawa, needs to take the next step and exit their long-term rebuild by making the playoffs

Adding a surefire #1 is probs key to doing that, although that doesnt necessary make Levi or Luukkonen expendable 

It makes a lot of sense to try and bolster that area

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

He is too old for the Sabres rebuild I guess

image.png.db0be7336ffc62b5021a6b61d5745d2d.png

He's also due for a sizeable raise, he's a good trade chip

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

DeSmith for Mittelstadt?

At least Mittelstadt is a RFA and a C..... and we'll struggle to hold on to DeSmith this off season...

Yeah I know, they are not going to let go of Desmith with the run we are on... 

As a Canuck fan-I'd do that trade.

As to letting DeSmith go- why not?  it isn't like he gets to play a lot anyhow.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Boston might do well to trade one of their duo if they can secure a backup.

That actually makes a lot of sense

Swayman is a pending RFA as well an Ullmark has another season after this one at 5M, though he's 31 in July

Ullmark has a M-NTC though, so it may have to be Swayman in such a swap

They could sell high and bolster their forward group, though Swayman could be tough to part with 

Edited by Coconuts

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ANA makes sense... 10 team NTC so hard to say if Buffalo is on that. I'd guess no-Canada, no AZ, but after that hard to say. 

It's a good question, Buffalo's arguably closer than Anaheim is to being competitive though

Just now, Coconuts said:

It's a good question, Buffalo's arguably closer than Anaheim is to being competitive though

3+ years tho... thats a long time if you're not all that thrilled on the location. But he's also from Pittsburg so maybe Buffalo is fine for him, its pretty close to home. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

3+ years tho... thats a long time if you're not all that thrilled on the location. But he's also from Pittsburg so maybe Buffalo is fine for him, its pretty close to home. 

You're not wrong, location is a curveball

But the Sabres should be better than they have been, addressing their inability to keep goals out of their net should be top priority 

They're lacking offensive juice this season, missing Thompson for a while didn't help with that, but they could probably assume their offense is capable of bouncing back

Their faceoff win ratio, goals for,  shooting percentage, and powerplay are all towards the bottom of the league, but they're likely also related to a degree

They do put a lot of shots on net, could require a systems or coaching tweak

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Boston might do well to trade one of their duo if they can secure a backup.

Makes sense. Boston would be interested in Mittelstadt both in the short-term and long-term. 

Swayman for Mittelstadt who adds? 

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

They'd want someone younger imo, but maybe

I could see them targeting a shorter term dude. Levi is in the pipeline. So they only need 3-4 years of somebody. Maybe less depending on his development. But Markstrom seems pretty deadset on staying put. Lots of talk that he gets annoyed when asked about a trade. I don't think he'd waive for Buffalo. I think we all agree Gibson makes the most sense. 3 years left on his deal after this season. Perfect for the Levi timeline.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I didn’t think we’d get Lindholm or be able to re-sign him passed this season. Mittlestadt was number 1 on my trade wish list! We already got our guy I don’t see what we could give and if we did we’d never be able to retain everybody.

Three team trade we throw in Podz, Suter,Woo and a third.