Tanner Pearson | #70 | LW

-AJ-

In making this thread, I just realized that Pearson now doesn't have any form of trade protection. Not that he really has any value right now anyway, but if he performs well this year, that could maybe be something going for us.

1 hour ago, canucks curse said:

I wonder if he will just get waived 

I’m happy for him but he was already slowing down and that was another bad Benning contract - he had a lot of those in his last 2 years with the team 

Pearson was the underrated player on the team.  He ran into injury trouble last year, but before that, every single line he was on, magically became the Canucks top line.  Coincidence?  I think not.

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Pearson was the underrated player on the team.  He ran into injury trouble last year, but before that, every single line he was on, magically became the Canucks top line.  Coincidence?  I think not.

He has seemed to always elevate the play of the line he's on even if his own numbers don't always show it. Whether it's just providing a defensive conscience to the line or making space for the more skilled guys to do their thing, I think his contributions have often gone underappreciated. 

At this point I'm just hoping he's truly healthy and can get back to game speed quickly and not trying to come back too quickly. He could still be an excellent 3rd liner for us. 

3 hours ago, canucks curse said:

I wonder if he will just get waived 

I’m happy for him but he was already slowing down and that was another bad Benning contract - he had a lot of those in his last 2 years with the team 

I'm going to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one. Pearson's been steady and consistent his entire Canucks tenure, and has been productive for his contract. He's got some great traits as well; toughness, grit, leadership, championship pedigree. He also seems to excel no matter what role or line he's thrust into. He can play with Pettersson, or grind on the 4th with Aman and Joshua. A jack of all trades ala Hansen

On 9/15/2023 at 11:22 PM, -AJ- said:

In making this thread, I just realized that Pearson now doesn't have any form of trade protection. Not that he really has any value right now anyway, but if he performs well this year, that could maybe be something going for us.

Guess it was.

• Haha 1

A deal made out of necessity, the team had too many forwards under contract, and they were in cap hell. This will give the next gen, Hogz or Podz, of both a shot at meaningful minutes. Thanks for you effort Tanner, but most of all for your willingness to stand up for your teammates and drop the mitts when necessary. He was the toughest non-tough guy I can remember.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

How people still gripe about his salary is mindboggling. puts up good numbers and effort for the money. 

He wasn't a steal, but not overpaid either. Probably one of the few players we've had recently who just played exactly at his contract level. Just a utility forward who was kind of good at everything but not amazing at any one thing and I do do think his presence was missed last year.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

I know it's early, but Pearson is leading the Canadiens in points. If he was still on the team, he'd be tied with Hughes in 4th place. Is it a small sample size? Yes. But it still gives me pause. I said it before and I'll say it again, Beauvillier is the one we should have moved. 

Frankly, even OEL isn't looking horrible with Florida, although I'm not too upset about that loss as he just made way too much.

It's a shame management messed up our cap situation so badly that we have to hurt the team just to remain compliant.

1 hour ago, Reznor said:

I know it's early, but Pearson is leading the Canadiens in points. If he was still on the team, he'd be tied with Hughes in 4th place. Is it a small sample size? Yes. But it still gives me pause. I said it before and I'll say it again, Beauvillier is the one we should have moved. 

Frankly, even OEL isn't looking horrible with Florida, although I'm not too upset about that loss as he just made way too much.

It's a shame management messed up our cap situation so badly that we have to hurt the team just to remain compliant.

I always liked Pears' game; especially when he was riding shotgun on Miller's line.  Very Higgins like.

It ended up being a hockey trade for both teams, with the Canucks finally acquiring a great backup

'tender.

I wish him all the best; he sure deserves it after the last couple of years.

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I always liked Pears' game; especially when he was riding shotgun on Miller's line.  Very Higgins like.

It ended up being a hockey trade for both teams, with the Canucks finally acquiring a great backup

'tender.

I wish him all the best; he sure deserves it after the last couple of years.

Indeed. I felt that primarily due to his physical game along with some decent skill his contract was never that bad. I only think he was moved because a) It was unclear how he would perform after all his wrist issues, and b) We badly needed the cap space. Too bad - would have also liked to see him stick around.

• 2 weeks later...