Vaccine thread

Gurn

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What do anti vaxxers have to do with someone dying of measles?

???  Have you really not heard about the recent trend of (some) parents choosing not to have their kids vaccinated for the things we were all vaccinated against?

Just now, Satchmo said:

???  Have you really not heard about the recent trend of (some) parents choosing not to have their kids vaccinated for the things we were all vaccinated against?

According to the article, there were several people who got the measles even after being immunized.  Anti vaxxers sounds like code for people who refused the COVID vaccine.  There are LOTS of people who don't get vaccinated for other things.  In Muslim countries for example there are places where vaccination is lower than in other areas due to religious beliefs.

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What do anti vaxxers have to do with someone dying of measles?

The kid that died was not vaccinated.  Anti-vaxxers have dropped the percentage of people who have immunity (which was due largely to vaccinations until recently) to levels where larger outbreaks of things like measles happen.  Leading to deaths, that haven't been a thing for decades.

And it will get worse with all the Covidiots who've latched onto the anti-vaxx death cult train.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to the article, there were several people who got the measles even after being immunized.  Anti vaxxers sounds like code for people who refused the COVID vaccine.  There are LOTS of people who don't get vaccinated for other things.  In Muslim countries for example there are places where vaccination is lower than in other areas due to religious beliefs.

We were talking about a death of a child in Ontario Canada.   'Covid anti-vaxxers' in Canada have started to have their kids miss other vaccinations.   We can discuss semantics if you wish but whatever words you wish to use an unvaccinated 5 year old has died from a disease no Canadian kid has died from in about 35 years.

What point are you trying to make here?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The kid that died was not vaccinated.  Anti-vaxxers have dropped the percentage of people who have immunity (which was due largely to vaccinations until recently) to levels where larger outbreaks of things like measles happen.  Leading to deaths, that haven't been a thing for decades.

And it will get worse with all the Covidiots who've latched onto the anti-vaxx death cult train.

According to this article, most measles cases are from people who travel and then come back home.  Immunization of kids in other countries slowed down considerably because of the lockdowns and never ramped back up.  I don't think it had anything to do with "anti vaxxers" as you claim, although I am sure there are some folks out there who refuse to vaccinate their children.  Is there some statistics that show that anti-vaxxers have stopped vaccinating their children from measles, chickenpox, polio and all the other things we were all vaccinated for as children?  I'm genuinely curious...

https://time.com/6835635/measles-outbreak-2024/

The term anti-vax was gaining strenght before covid. Been around for a while. Had heard of stories about families making silly decisions etc... 

I remember Jenny Mcarthy and others offering dodgy advice. 

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

We were talking about a death of a child in Ontario Canada.   'Covid anti-vaxxers' in Canada have started to have their kids miss other vaccinations.   We can discuss semantics if you wish but whatever words you wish to use an unvaccinated 5 year old has died from a disease no Canadian kid has died from in about 35 years.

What point are you trying to make here?

Are their stats that show that these anti-vaxxers have stopped immunizing their children?  I have a friend who lives in Chilliwack and is not vaccinated along with her entire family.  However, her son has two small kids and both kids are fully vaccinated with all of the child vaccinations that are available.  So, my friend's hesitancy and her family's hesitancy was with the COVID vaccine only.  You know, because she is a conspiracy theorist and also believes in chemtrails.  That was my point...

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The term anti-vax was gaining strenght before covid. Been around for a while. Had heard of stories about families making silly decisions etc... 

I've never heard of anti-vaxxers who have stopped giving their children the measles vaccine.  This is news to me...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Are their stats that show that these anti-vaxxers have stopped immunizing their children?  I have a friend who lives in Chilliwack and is not vaccinated along with her entire family.  However, her son has two small kids and both kids are fully vaccinated with all of the child vaccinations that are available.  So, my friend's hesitancy and her family's hesitancy was with the COVID vaccine only.  You know, because she is a conspiracy theorist and also believes in chemtrails.  That was my point...

You just have to get out there and meet more people.   We need a bigger sample size.   

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yup.  There was a whole (bowel) movement about how immunizations were giving kids autism. :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2
  • Wiener 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I've never heard of anti-vaxxers who have stopped giving their children the measles vaccine.  This is news to me...

I haven't read much about it, not an area I follow too much. 
i was just mentioning hearing about folks that were anti-vaccines before covid came around.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yup.  There was a whole (bowel) movement about how immunizations were giving kids autism. :picard:

i was just mentioning hearing about folks that were anti-vaccines before covid came around.

Some bedtime reading, should you feel so inclined... 😉

https://time.com/5175704/andrew-wakefield-vaccine-autism/

• Cheers 1

Covid just gave the antivax movement more ammo and fear. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

its one of those weird "U" shaped political things where the far left and far right come together on an issue. 

It would be one thing if the dumb dumbs were the ones paying the price, but sadly its innocent kids. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its one of those weird "U" shaped political things where the far left and far right come together on an issue. 

It would be one thing if the dumb dumbs were the ones paying the price, but sadly its innocent kids. 

Good point. 

I remember some lefty hippies being anti vaxx/med growing up. 

Edited by bishopshodan

Yes, that's why I asked if you had any stats.  Obviously one family that lives in Chilliwack isn't much of a sample size...

Do your own research.....

The Time article you posted does everything but say it out loud.  But it does link to another article that whispers it:

Why measles cases are climbing

Not enough kids are getting vaccinated.

Why fewer kids are getting vaccinated

Growing vaccine-refusal is one reason. 

https://time.com/6311276/antivax-movement-adapt-essay/

• Thanks 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Good point. 

I remember some lefty hippies folks being anti vaxx/med growing up. 

RFK would have been right at home in the Ottawa convoy, along with evangelicals who think mint oil will cure measles. 

Its quite the basket of head-up-ass syndrome sufferers. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

The Time article you posted does everything but say it out loud.  But it does link to another article that whispers it:

Antivax is the main reason there is measles still period. 

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

First off, stop snapping at me, I was simply asking a question.  You've done this a few times lately, so not sure what your problem is.

Secondly, I did do a google search and found this...

Measles vaccination rates in Toronto-area kids are lower than the rest of Ontario. Why? | CP24.com

While the older cohort has consistent immunization rates above or near 90 per cent across the board and over the years, vaccine coverage has slipped for the younger group since 2019, specifically in public health units located in the GTA.

For example, in Toronto, the percentage of seven-year-olds fully vaccinated for measles dropped from 80.2 per cent in the 2019-2020 school year to 38.9 per cent in the 2021-2022 school year. The situation appears to be worse in Peel Region, where rates have fallen from 77.7 to 37.2 per cent in the same time period.

In fact, every city in the GTA has seen a dramatic drop off in measles vaccination rates since 2019, led by York Region at 31.9 per cent.

WHY THE DROP OFF IN VACCINE COVERAGE, PARTICULARLY IN THE GTA? 

COVID-19 is at least partially to blame for the reduced immunization coverage, according to the PHO, which says it caused “significant disruptions” to the delivery of routine vaccines.

The report notes that because primary care offices were limited to virtual visits at the height of the pandemic, the “deferral of nonessential” medical treatments, like immunizations, followed.

Beyond that, Kulik said some patients in Ontario have had trouble accessing their family doctor in recent years, due in part to a province wide staffing shortage – more than half a million people in Toronto don’t have a family doctor, according to recent numbers released by the Ontario Medical Association.

As well, vaccine hesitancy in the wake of the global COVID-19 vaccine rollout continues to be a factor. “By and large, measles is a pretty benign illness for most people. However, if you have enough people that get it, just like COVID, just like flu, just like other illnesses, there are risks and some kids do get very, very sick, and some kids can die from measles,” she said.

So, it seems there are a number of reasons why vaccinations in kids are dropping.  It doesn't seem to be just "anti vaxxers", although that could be one reason why.  Seems like disruption of vaccination schedules during the pandemic was another reason why.  I highly doubt a drop in vaccinations from 80% to 30% in the GTA had to do with all anti vaxxers.  Also, staffing shortages seems to be another reason.  500,000 people in the GTA don't even have a family doctor.

The GTA seems to be a good sample size, however these numbers may be different in other parts of Canada...

First off, stop snapping at me, I was simply asking a question.  You've done this a few times lately, so not sure what your problem is.

My apologies if I sounded terse.  TBH, I just couldn't understand why you weren't on Google looking for that stuff about 5 posts ago.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

My apologies if I sounded terse.  TBH, I just couldn't understand why you weren't on Google looking for that stuff about 5 posts ago.

No worries.  I was legit asking a question.  Thought someone already had some stats because somebody usually does when a question gets asked...

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/the-incredible-life-of-polio-paul-the-man-who-lived-in-a-metal-tank-for-70-years/ss-BB1jSbDk?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=5de4871674dc4231a1db2469d4431c52&ei=59#image=1

He spent his life in an iron lung, but that didn’t stop Paul Alexander from achieving some truly incredible things. When Paul contracted polio when he was just six years old, doctors didn’t think he would live to see his teenage years. But he defied all expectations. Paul became a lawyer, wrote a memoir, and broke a world record, all while dealing with the debilitating impacts of polio that left him dependent on an iron lung. He passed away on Tuesday at the age of 78, leaving behind an inspirational legacy. This is the true story of how he survived polio and lived in an iron lung against all the odds

BB1jSknu.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

10 more paragraphs and pics at link.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/the-incredible-life-of-polio-paul-the-man-who-lived-in-a-metal-tank-for-70-years/ss-BB1jSbDk?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=5de4871674dc4231a1db2469d4431c52&ei=59#image=1

He spent his life in an iron lung, but that didn’t stop Paul Alexander from achieving some truly incredible things. When Paul contracted polio when he was just six years old, doctors didn’t think he would live to see his teenage years. But he defied all expectations. Paul became a lawyer, wrote a memoir, and broke a world record, all while dealing with the debilitating impacts of polio that left him dependent on an iron lung. He passed away on Tuesday at the age of 78, leaving behind an inspirational legacy. This is the true story of how he survived polio and lived in an iron lung against all the odds

BB1jSknu.img?w=800&h=435&q=60&m=2&f=jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

10 more paragraphs and pics at link.

here's a true hero, I'd like to put the anti-vax morons in this guys life for 1 day. 

• Vintage 1