[discussion]Is Mikheyev Un-tradeable?

On 3/2/2024 at 7:06 AM, D-Money said:

Drance was asked if Mikheyev was negative value quite recently by Halford & Brough. He explained that Mikheyev has a lot of respect around the league, and that most think he'll be much better next season, once his ACL is fully healed. So by his estimation, you could probably find a team willing to take him without sweeteners. One that is out of it this year, but has designs on being much better defensively next season.

I think Pittsburgh might be a fit. Mikheyev+ for Rielly Smith makes a lot of sense.

So were stuck with him.

Makes no sense to trade one of our best and most valuable players, especially since our club is so good. Mik is a big body who helps any line he’s on. We need heavy bodies along the walls. It would be a moranic to trade him. 

• 2 weeks later...

A GM would 100% buy low on Mik if given the chance. His play will be completely different after this season. Knee injuries for players who's primary skill is skating take a long time to fully recover. The fact his skating is starting to improve so much recently is a glimpse of that. I don't care if we trade him or not, since the cap space would be helpful, but Mik is not untradeable. he's just currently distressed. 

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Echoing others' comments, just let him recover and get better.  Garland and Boeser show how big a difference a new season makes.

Yup. Like Garland and Boeser, when playing well Mikeyev is a very valuable player, who contributes to winning. And, of course he is tradeable. All player can be traded. It’s just with players who are needed for winning, it’s a moran’s move to trade them. And our former GM is gone. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Like Garland and Boeser, when playing well Mikeyev is a very valuable player, who contributes to winning. And, of course he is tradeable. All player can be traded. It’s just with players who are needed for winning, it’s a moran’s move to trade them. And our former GM is gone. 

valuable player sure for his defensive side of the game.. but he's really not a top 6 player.. between him and garland one of them needs to be gone and preferably without retention. cant afford to have almost 10mil worth of players rotating between 3rd and 4th line and once in a while in the top 6.. mikheyev is looking like one of those poolman ferland signings.. 1st year injured.. 2nd year ineffective waiting for the whole season almost for recovery.. 3rd season ??? but based on his injury history i wouldn't be surprise he's injured somewhere in there again.. 50% of the contract gone already and he haven't provided much of anything due to injuries and recovery

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

valuable player sure for his defensive side of the game.. but he's really not a top 6 player.. between him and garland one of them needs to be gone and preferably without retention. cant afford to have almost 10mil worth of players rotating between 3rd and 4th line and once in a while in the top 6.. mikheyev is looking like one of those poolman ferland signings.. 1st year injured.. 2nd year ineffective waiting for the whole season almost for recovery.. 3rd season ??? but based on his injury history i wouldn't be surprise he's injured somewhere in there again.. 50% of the contract gone already and he haven't provided much of anything due to injuries and recovery

I think both Mikeyev and Garland will be gone within the next 2 years.  Neither one is a top 6 player really and we need the cap space to re-sign Hronek, Boeser, Hughes eventually.  And maybe Lindholm too if we can get him under $7 million.  Zadorov and Joshua are high priorities too, so we will need every dollar of cap space moving forward.  Even Hoglander will be due a big raise in 2 years...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think both Mikeyev and Garland will be gone within the next 2 years.  Neither one is a top 6 player really and we need the cap space to re-sign Hronek, Boeser, Hughes eventually.  And maybe Lindholm too if we can get him under $7 million.  Zadorov and Joshua are high priorities too, so we will need every dollar of cap space moving forward.  Even Hoglander will be due a big raise in 2 years...

2 years tbh is too long.. one of them needs to be gone this off season.. preferably both.. so they can actually get some players that can play and produce in the top 6 but at the same time looking at the ufa list there's not really that many if any top 6 i'd go after.. so might have to be thru trades but we don't really have anything to trade with coz everything with value is prolly off limit.

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

2 years tbh is too long.. one of them needs to be gone this off season.. preferably both.. so they can actually get some players that can play and produce in the top 6 but at the same time looking at the ufa list there's not really that many if any top 6 i'd go after.. so might have to be thru trades but we don't really have anything to trade with coz everything with value is prolly off limit.

I don't see much on the free agent market either.  And even if there is someone like Guentzel, he will want $8 million+.  I don't think we can afford that.  I am hoping Lekkerimaki is ready next year to play with Petey.  Maybe Podkolzin is ready too.  There is a scenario where we can keep both Mikheyev and Garland next season.  But it will be tight and we'd have to sacrifice a dman or two or not re-sign Lindholm...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't see much on the free agent market either.  And even if there is someone like Guentzel, he will want $8 million+.  I don't think we can afford that.  I am hoping Lekkerimaki is ready next year to play with Petey.  Maybe Podkolzin is ready too.  There is a scenario where we can keep both Mikheyev and Garland next season.  But it will be tight and we'd have to sacrifice a dman or two or not re-sign Lindholm...

Unless mik and garland lights it up in the playoff. Or like u said lekkerimaki is ready.. this top 6 is not good enough to stay status quo. Unlikely we will have as good of a pdo as this season so next season we will prolly see regression a la devils unless we do something with the top 6