[discussion]Is Mikheyev Un-tradeable?

He has a M-NTC (submits 12 team no trade list).  Coming off an ACL injury.  Playing not great.  Gets paid 5.3ish million in actual dollars next year.  

I hope he can bounce back but I dont think the Canucks have the luxury of waiting.  If he can be moved at all-where?

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

He's certainly tradeable but he's not going to be worth much.

image.png.f7068af26a182d5959c8e04432afdebc.png

At the risk of stating the obvious, if his "finishing" hadn't dropped off a cliff he wouldn't be in the "let's trade the plug" discussion even with being half a step behind. I would suspect the Canucks would hang on to him and give him the full summer to recover / rehad / strengthen / etc. the knee and see what the next season brings.

However this is a results oriented business with a "what have you done for me lately" mentality (fair or not is besides the point) so who knows. My opinion, worth about 5 cents, is PA / JR won't pay a premium to offload him but having him packaged up for a player or two coming back with some minor pieces and/or B-prospect added then maybe.

Where, probably not a contender so maybe somewhere like Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim or San Jose - setting aside the 12 team no trade list for a second given PA / JR got Kuzmenko to waive his NTC. The aforementioned teams have players the Canucks could be interested in. If rumours about Gunner in Pittsburgh are true then could see that at least being in the realm of possibilities but probably would cost way too much thus I personally don't believe that would happen.

Fun to speculate, dream, put up proposals and at the end of the day no one has a clue what PA / JR will do - even most of the "insiders".

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, if his "finishing" hadn't dropped off a cliff he wouldn't be in the "let's trade the plug" discussion even with being half a step behind. I would suspect the Canucks would hang on to him and give him the full summer to recover / rehad / strengthen / etc. the knee and see what the next season brings.

However this is a results oriented business with a "what have you done for me lately" mentality (fair or not is besides the point) so who knows. My opinion, worth about 5 cents, is PA / JR won't pay a premium to offload him but having him packaged up for a player or two coming back with some minor pieces and/or B-prospect added then maybe.

Where, probably not a contender so maybe somewhere like Buffalo, Arizona, Chicago, Anaheim or San Jose - setting aside the 12 team no trade list for a second given PA / JR got Kuzmenko to waive his NTC. The aforementioned teams have players the Canucks could be interested in. If rumours about Gunner in Pittsburgh are true then could see that at least being in the realm of possibilities but probably would cost way too much thus I personally don't believe that would happen.

Fun to speculate, dream, put up proposals and at the end of the day no one has a clue what PA / JR will do - even most of the "insiders".

Honestly, it's indeed his horrendous finishing that's completely cratered his value as a player.  Take that away and you still get a solid two-way forward who's lost a step but can still drive play on both sides of the ice.

Much of what you said I agree with, and that does make me concerned.  When you combined that results-oriented approach with an aggressive trading mindset of PA/JR, you don't great value out of your trades.  We got max value out of Horvat and Schenn last year; we did not trade Kuzmenko and instead dealt him out this year when his trade value was at an all-time low.  He wasn't getting results and we dumped him for cheap.  Same thing with Beauvillier too, although we took advantage of a depleted Blackhawks team there.

So to that end, what value does Mikheyev have in a trade package?  Obviously, any player that we're looking for will be: 1) a player heavily coveted by other playoff contenders, and 2)on a tanking team that wants futures in return.  For example, Arizona has some great players who could help us in a playoff push, but they're only going to sell to the highest bidder.  Mikheyev isn't going to help a tanking team like Arizona that wants to get younger and save as much money as possible.  Tucker Poolman might have more value to the Coyotes than Miky. 

So for us to win any trade bid that includes Mikheyev, it'd take a good chunk of picks/prospects to make it work.  I don't think minor pieces and B-prospects would be enough for any player who can actually improve our team.  Mikheyev would essentially be a cap dump.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Honestly, it's indeed his horrendous finishing that's completely cratered his value as a player.  Take that away and you still get a solid two-way forward who's lost a step but can still drive play on both sides 

So to that end, what value does Mikheyev have in a trade package?  Obviously, any player that we're looking for will be: 1) a player heavily coveted by other playoff contenders, and 2)on a tanking team that wants futures in return.  For example, Arizona has some great players who could help us in a playoff push, but they're only going to sell to the highest bidder.  Mikheyev isn't going to help a tanking team like Arizona that wants to get younger and save as much money as possible.  Tucker Poolman might have more value to the Coyotes than Miky. 

So for us to win any trade bid that includes Mikheyev, it'd take a good chunk of picks/prospects to make it work.  I don't think minor pieces and B-prospects would be enough for any player who can actually improve our team.  Mikheyev would essentially be a cap dump.

Now there is an interesting possibility ... forgot about him. 

Yes, Mik probably won't be moving thus year so hope he recovers his step and gets back to finishing... dude certainly has his chances to bury then and even scoring 1 goal every 3 or 4 games would make a difference to the Canucks.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Wiener 1

11 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Now there is an interesting possibility ... forgot about him. 

Yes, Mik probably won't be moving thus year so hope he recovers his step and gets back to finishing... dude certainly has his chances to bury then and even scoring 1 goal every 3 or 4 games would make a difference to the Canucks.

Right, but for everything I just said, we go back to your "results-oriented business" model.  If we are to make any more moves to acquire playoff talent, we gotta move salary, right?  And who better to deal away than Ilya Mikheyev, who isn't pulling his weight?

It's a conundrum for sure.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Everyone is tradable but you aren't getting value added assets by trading Mikheyev. Likely it's going to be a another player with a similar cap hit and term that is struggling with the other team.

Think of the Neal-Lucic swap between Edmonton and Calgary.  

Only way we trade him is 1-for-1 with a similar 4-5M cap hit guy, and if they're better then we have to add a piece/prospect/pick. I'm all for sending a mid-round pick + Mikheyev to anyone (namely Pittsburgh) for one of their many 5M wingers. Take Rust, Rakell or Smith for example, but there's loads of similar guys out there. 

Shame, I really thought Mikheyev would be the perfect playoff winger - big, fast and strong forechecker, but he's not shown us any signs of that this season. He was brilliant last year with Petey but the surgery must have really taken it's toll on him and we don't have time to wait around for him to fully recover.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, AngryGoose said:

He has a M-NTC (submits 12 team no trade list).  Coming off an ACL injury.  Playing not great.  Gets paid 5.3ish million in actual dollars next year.  

I hope he can bounce back but I dont think the Canucks have the luxury of waiting.  If he can be moved at all-where?

He's not untradable if you're willing to take on a bad contract (i.e. Logan Couture, Huberdeau, etc.)

Drance was asked if Mikheyev was negative value quite recently by Halford & Brough. He explained that Mikheyev has a lot of respect around the league, and that most think he'll be much better next season, once his ACL is fully healed. So by his estimation, you could probably find a team willing to take him without sweeteners. One that is out of it this year, but has designs on being much better defensively next season.

I think Pittsburgh might be a fit. Mikheyev+ for Rielly Smith makes a lot of sense.

just a thought......

Mikheyev for Tarasanko 

we save a bit on the cap plus T is a ufa in the summer, let him walk if he doesn't work out and we put $5 in the free agent pool or for player raises.

T has stated that he would accept a trade to a cup contender and I think he would have more finish than Mik. Whether he is a Tocchet stype of player or not remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

I could see him as part of the cap going back for a guy like Guentzel, should that materialize. Crosby could make him look good and they can likely bank on him being better next year after a full year of rehabbing his knee. It's the only way I see us moving him though.

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Ryan Johansen for Mik?

Similar contracts, and contract hits.

I doubt they do this, they're short on adequate centers as it is (neither RyJo or Colton are all that great offensively), and they have average wings (Drouin, Wood, O'Connor, Parise...) while Mikheyev certainly shouldn't be in the top-6 over there along with Rantanen, Lekhonen and Nichushkin (presuming Gabe is out awhile).

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Only way we trade him is 1-for-1 with a similar 4-5M cap hit guy, and if they're better then we have to add a piece/prospect/pick. I'm all for sending a mid-round pick + Mikheyev to anyone (namely Pittsburgh) for one of their many 5M wingers. Take Rust, Rakell or Smith for example, but there's loads of similar guys out there. 

Shame, I really thought Mikheyev would be the perfect playoff winger - big, fast and strong forechecker, but he's not shown us any signs of that this season. He was brilliant last year with Petey but the surgery must have really taken it's toll on him and we don't have time to wait around for him to fully recover.

Ilya Mikheyev was essentially used as such In the two playoff appearances he had with the Leafs. And everyone knows of how that turned out for them. BUT, it wasn't Ilya Mikheyev's fault. 

I don't know if he's gonna be moved at TDL. I don't think he's completely untradeable, but he could be difficult to move with that cap hit.

However if he doesn't get moved, then you can look at him as such regarding the bolded statement above. He can play a shutdown role for us. Therefore his value to us in the playoffs for such ends up being a positive. Plus if he can pot a goal or two here and there for us? Well that's gravy, man!

Edited by Sativika

17 hours ago, Sativika said:

Ilya Mikheyev was essentially used as such In the two playoff appearances he had with the Leafs. And everyone knows of how that turned out for them. BUT, it wasn't Ilya Mikheyev's fault. 

I don't know if he's gonna be moved at TDL. I don't think he's completely untradeable, but he could be difficult to move with that cap hit.

However if he doesn't get moved, then you can look at him as such regarding the bolded statement above. He can play a shutdown role for us. Therefore his value to us in the playoffs for such ends up being a positive. Plus if he can pot a goal or two here and there for us? Well that's gravy, man!

Yup, I'm not opposed to moving him as part of the cap going back if we're to add a higher end, 2 way, top 6 winger in trade for him.

But if not, even in this "down" year, recovering from knee surgery, he's still a VERY good defensive forward. And he's likely to have a rebound year next year after he recovers more from his knee surgery. No reason to pay to move him now IMO.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2024 at 9:42 PM, AngryGoose said:

I believe any player can be traded.

In Mikheyev's case; What is PA willing to add, subtract, or maybe both, to make it happen?

For example; What is Mikheyev, Lekkerimaki, and 50% salary retention worth to another team?

I think this still gets us something really good.

Might this get us a player I've been talking about a lot in Dmitri Voronkov?

Lekkerimaki is definitely superior in skills; something Columbus still needs a lot of.

I think he'll have a better year next season, but I'm still open to upgrading on him now if there is a taker. 

Mik + our 1st round pick (+ maybe a little extra) for Lawson Crouse. 

I wonder if a deal like that could work. I know Crouse is signed to a sweet deal for a few more years and looks to be a consistent 20/25 goal guy while being physical.