[Speculation] Myers wants to extend with Nux

4 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Myers and Cole have no place next year on this team.To expensive for what they give back

Cole, I think depends on what his asking price is right? If it's 3M, then hard pass

7 hours ago, Combover said:

Yeah but we don’t need him (Myers)

Juulsen has been more than adequate 

we can save cap by going with youth, brisebois was playing good before his injury to.

im a pass on Myers I’m glad he finally managed to improve his play just in time  for his contract year……

I think Myers can be had for cheap, you have to sign him, and the Canucks has always had a history of depleted depth on the backend. So the more depth we have back there, the better we'll be. 

8 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm hoping one of our young d from abby can fill that spot at league minimum. 

Don't think any of them are ready. 

Which ones are you referring to, and hoping that could make an impact on the bottom pairing defense? 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Myers can be had for cheap, you have to sign him, and the Canucks has always had a history of depleted depth on the backend. So the more depth we have back there, the better we'll be. 

Unless he's willing to take ~1/2 his market value, which doesn't make sense for Myers, it makes little sense for the Canucks.

Sign another guy to maintain depth.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Unless he's willing to take ~1/2 his market value, which doesn't make sense for Myers, it makes little sense for the Canucks.

Sign another guy to maintain depth.

I guess it depends on how desperately he wants to remain here in Van. 

He's a local guy in the sense that he lives in Kelowna, and he's got a family. Moving to another team means uprooting his family. I'm not sure if there's a will to doing that at this stage of his career. 

On 3/19/2024 at 1:16 AM, Miss Korea said:

His kids are still very young and he's from  Calgary.  And guess which team just dumped all of their defencemen? 

He was born in Houston, Texas actually, but he maintains dual citizenship due to his growing up in Calgary. He has stated his love for Kelowna and the BC province overall so this makes sense and if he sees it as his twilight tour before retirement, he may be willing to give a sweetheart deal for the stability of his family.  

16 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Which ones are you referring to, and hoping that could make an impact on the bottom pairing defense? 

Any of Mcward  Hirose  woo wolanin 

Although wolanin isn't young he could be a cheap option. And what about that pettersson dude?

18 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Wolanin.  I really like Mcward and hirose.

I'm thinking in terms of cap.  Unless Myers signs really cheap then we need someone to step up in a limited role.  

Well see how they do in camp. 

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Any of Mcward  Hirose  woo wolanin 

Although wolanin isn't young he could be a cheap option. And what about that pettersson dude?

D-Petey? He's nowhere near ready for even a bottom pairing role in the NHL. Need to allow that kid to cook down in the AHL, and allow Ryan Johnson and his staff work with him for at least a season or two if not three seasons. He needs to get used to the smaller rink (as is the case with most European players), and pace. 

McWard is interesting. I don't think Hirose is ready, and I'm not sure if Woo is even NHL calibre at this point. Isn't he waiver eligible next year? He's almost at that age where what you see is what you get, so if he doesn't start getting some limited NHL ice, looks like to me he could be another Christian Wolanin, minus the NHL games (at least Wolanin has played in some?). 

8 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

We need to pinch some money somewhere.Juulsen is ready.Abby give as one more?Maybe

Yeah, I would agree that Juulsen could be an option, but I'm not sure if he's an everyday option with the team. He's very good depth, just don't know if he's dependable depth on a regular basis. 

30 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I would agree that Juulsen could be an option, but I'm not sure if he's an everyday option with the team. He's very good depth, just don't know if he's dependable depth on a regular basis. 

It is big difference with him between last year and this.Who"s to say he cant go one more natch.Maybe some young guns from Abby can contribute,or be traded for something we could use.

53 minutes ago, Lemon Face said:

It is big difference with him between last year and this.Who"s to say he cant go one more natch.Maybe some young guns from Abby can contribute,or be traded for something we could use.

I'm skeptical with what we have defensively in Abby. Out of the young defensive prospects - Defensive Petey, and McWard jump at me. Everyone else is either AHL defenseman, and journeyman, or they're not going to cut it in North American ice, and going to Europe to play out their careers. 

Your right, though, I'd never say never. I mean, if any prospect was going to make the jump, I'd hope it would be Woo. He profiles to me as an Bieksa kind of player, old school, hits, is physical. I just don't know if he can read the ice fast enough at the NHL level. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not sure if Woo is even NHL calibre at this point. Isn't he waiver eligible next year? 

Woo is allready waiver eligible, he was waived and passed through at the beginning of the season.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Every club has at least one guy like Woo. He’s not playing Myers’ minutes. 

If Meyers can’t be had at a reasonable price then the question might become whether Juulson can play 2RD on a regular basis z? He has had a real solid season. His growth through the season has been hard to believe. Meyers at 34 becomes more of an outlier on the team demographic. He won’t get much term from PA. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

D-Petey? He's nowhere near ready for even a bottom pairing role in the NHL. Need to allow that kid to cook down in the AHL, and allow Ryan Johnson and his staff work with him for at least a season or two if not three seasons. He needs to get used to the smaller rink (as is the case with most European players), and pace. 

McWard is interesting. I don't think Hirose is ready, and I'm not sure if Woo is even NHL calibre at this point. Isn't he waiver eligible next year? He's almost at that age where what you see is what you get, so if he doesn't start getting some limited NHL ice, looks like to me he could be another Christian Wolanin, minus the NHL games (at least Wolanin has played in some?). 

I agree.  Time is running out for woo for an nhl career.   Mcward is the best bet for making the team next year but you never know who might surprise in camp 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

If Meyers can’t be had at a reasonable price then the question might become whether Juulson can play 2RD on a regular basis z? He has had a real solid season. His growth through the season has been hard to believe. Meyers at 34 becomes more of an outlier on the team demographic. He won’t get much term from PA. 

Yup. Or management finds a 2RD in free agency? Sign another guy like Cole. Soucy plays right side too. Plus, Big Z can play right side. Multiple options to play 2RD. The Empties trust this management group to make a good choice. Unlike the previous GM; the moran. 

• MillerTime 1

3 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I agree.  Time is running out for woo for an nhl career.   Mcward is the best bet for making the team next year but you never know who might surprise in camp 

There is always 6/7's available in free agency and this pro scouting department has a great track record of finding diamonds. I'm not worried about filling holes lower down the lineup.

• Cheers 2

On 3/18/2024 at 11:33 PM, chaoticmonkey said:

I'd expect something like 2.5-3 x 2 years. Anything more than that and we should move on.

He lives in the Okanagan in the summer, was born in Texas and played Jr in Kelowna, but did grow up in Calgary.  He's the epitome of a hybrid!

• chaos 1

On 3/21/2024 at 6:31 AM, Alflives said:

Yup. Or management finds a 2RD in free agency? Sign another guy like Cole. Soucy plays right side too. Plus, Big Z can play right side. Multiple options to play 2RD. The Empties trust this management group to make a good choice. Unlike the previous GM; the moran. 

I think playoffs will tell the tale Alf. Meyers has never been a banger, not like Juuls or Zad. Meyers plays a decent game but is it good enough to want to resign him? If he has a solid playoffs how he is viewed might change. Players Meyers age might realize a Cup is within reach and this is their last crack at it.

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think playoffs will tell the tale Alf. Meyers has never been a banger, not like Juuls or Zad. Meyers plays a decent game but is it good enough to want to resign him? If he has a solid playoffs how he is viewed might change. Players Meyers age might realize a Cup is within reach and this is their last crack at it.

I think Myers is looking at this more from a family and home context.

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's his last opportunity to earn. He'll do that.

It is and he might, but if Van is close to a decent number, I think he'll stay put