[Speculation] Myers wants to extend with Nux

West Notes: Myers, Lekkerimaki, Markstrom, Bjugstad

March 18th, 2024 at 7:28pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Defenseman Tyler Myers is one of several Canucks veterans that are set to hit the open market in July and the team won’t be able to afford to keep all of them.  CHEK’s Rick Dhaliwal reports that the veteran has told his agent that he’d like to remain with Vancouver. 

The 34-year-old is in his fifth season with the Canucks and while his $6MM price point is above market value, he’s still logging important minutes, especially on the penalty kill where he ranks second in shorthanded ATOI. 

While a $6MM contract isn’t likely coming his way this summer, Myers should still command interest from several teams on a multi-year deal which should help land him a contract somewhat close to that price tag.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/03/west-notes-myers-lekkerimaki-markstrom-bjugstad.html#ref=home

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Myers as a bottom pairing dman is more than fine. He won't be making his current 6M but he is still serviceable in that role and by all accounts a great teammate. The price and term have to be right, of course. All that being said, both Hronek and Zadorov are of much higher priority.

As a veteran guy he may be inclined to reup at 3-3.5 to continue his career close to home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

As a veteran guy he may be inclined to reup at 3-3.5 to continue his career close to home.

His kids are still very young and he's from  Calgary.  And guess which team just dumped all of their defencemen? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

His kids are still very young and he's from  Calgary.  And guess which team just dumped all of their defencemen? 

I don't think he is from Calgary. He played junior in Kelowna from 2005 and spends the off-season there every year. I think it's safe to say his permanent home is in Kelowna. Now he may end up in Calgary, and if GM Conroy offers him 3x3M, I'm sure he'd listen, but there may be other options if he makes it to July 1st.

34 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

I don't think he is from Calgary. He played junior in Kelowna from 2005 and spends the off-season there every year. I think it's safe to say his permanent home is in Kelowna. Now he may end up in Calgary, and if GM Conroy offers him 3x3M, I'm sure he'd listen, but there may be other options if he makes it to July 1st.

If Kelowna is his summer home, then that is indeed his home.  I believe he grew up in Calgary but Kelowna being his true home is... a good thing for us.

If I had to pick between Zadorov and Myers, I'd choose Zadorov.  I'd only bring Myers back if he is willing to sign for dirt cheap.  Doubt it though as I think he could get upwards of $4m on the open market.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)

I think Myers will have at least a couple offers from elsewhere at 3.5 per. That’s going rate (maybe less) for what he can contribute.

Posted the article to see what some posters think is realistic in terms of his next contract. 

Edited by RWJC

9 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Ewe no. I mean his market value probably sees him sign elsewhere for $3.5-$4.5, but we in no way can afford to pay him that. We need a legit top 4 guy here (Tanev?) with those dollars.

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

1.5 million.  2 max.

This. If he's willing to come back at/under $2m x 2, great! But that's roughly half his market value and we can't afford his market value. Especially with what almost assuredly includes trade clauses.

• Cheers 1