[Speculation] Where will Patrick Kane end up?

Buffalo Sabres Showing Interest In Patrick Kane

September 21st, 2023 at 9:33am CST • By Josh Erickson

Since it became apparent Patrick Kane would hit the free agent market this summer, speculation immediately turned toward him joining the up-and-coming Buffalo Sabres. After all, they are his hometown team, and without a return to either the Chicago Blackhawks or the New York Rangers due to cap constraints in the cards, it seemed like a logical option.

However, throughout the summer, multiple teams were mentioned as having shown interestin one of the greatest American wingers of all time, including teams such as the Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars and New York Islanders. Buffalo’s name never truly came up outside of pure speculation – until today. TSN’s Darren Dreger reports that as Kane nears recovery from offseason hip surgery, the Sabres do indeed have interest in adding him to their roster.

Dreger added that Kane’s rehab is going well and that he continues to train in Toronto, as he’s been doing for the past two months. He’s not expected to be ready for opening night should a team sign him before then, however, and requires at least another month before he’s ready to play. That’s still just a four-month recovery window from when he had the surgeryin June, certainly on the short end of his timeline.

While Colorado always seemed like a natural fit given their vacancy in the top six left by captain Gabriel Landeskog‘s injury, they decided earlier this month they weren’t willing to wait around for Kane to get healthy. They used most of their remaining LTIR relief from Landeskog to sign Slovak winger Tomas Tatar to a one-year deal, all but eliminating them from the running for Kane. Detroit had also been mentioned as a possible destination in some circles, but that had to do with Kane’s interest in playing there – not the other way around.

It leaves Buffalo as the only apparent option with a demonstrated interest in Kane that makes much sense. While the team is certainly of the mind to prioritize ice time for their young talent, the early-season absence of Jack Quinnwill leave a noticeable void in the team’s top nine that could very well hamstring them out of the gate in a tough Atlantic Division. Banking on March trade acquisition Jordan Greenway to recoup much of Quinn’s lost value would be an unwise move given his own recent injury history and poor possession metrics.

Buffalo certainly has the cap space to make a deal work with $8.78MM in projected space remaining, per CapFriendly. It’s unlikely a short-term deal for Kane would cost anywhere close to that amount.

It’s also unlikely head coach Don Granato would consider breaking up the team’s top line of Jeff SkinnerTage Thompson and Alex Tuch, which appears well on its way to being one of the best three-man units in the sport. He could, however, slide into a second-line role alongside Dylan Cozens and Casey Mittelstadt, which would allow Buffalo to drop Victor Olofssondown to a third-line spot – his ideal role at even strength. While skilled, he’s widely viewed as too much of a defensive liability to serve in a contending team’s top six.

The same could easily be said for Kane, although it remains to be seen how his hip procedure could impact his play for better or for worse. Kane has never been a dominant possession force, but his play-driving at both ends of the rink at even strength has ranked near the very bottom of the league for the last three seasons. That’s not to discount his skill fundamentals and power-play ability, which both remain well above average even as he enters his mid-30s.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/buffalo-sabres-showing-interest-in-patrick-kane.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

Not surprised by this at all since he will come prorated mid-season and is a Buffalo boy. I also think it could be a means of keeping him from going back to NYR since they may very well be competing against them for a PO spot. I am sure PK wants to stay in NY if possible. He would even fit in with NYI on Bo's wing, but I do not see them being on his radar. 

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sabrefan about to shoot you into space 

I’d take that bet at even odds.  Sabres do or do not make they playoffs? I say they do all day.

Easy to assume that they’ll miss if you are simply basing it on past years.  But I don’t think you’re paying attention if you assume that the future will be the same for them.

Man the Sabres have a ton of cap space. They sure are being awfully careful with spending it. 

I guess they do have Dhalin and Power to resign next year. Both likely longer term deals based on what they've been doing. Also a forward or two to resign. Patty Kane for 1 year at whatever cost makes a lot of sense. 

They almost made the playoffs last year right? I feel like they will need to make the push soon. Also need a starting goalie. Might be what they are saving for. Boston has 2, so perhaps a deal there could be worked out. I wonder if Van moves Demko in a year or two if they feel Silvos is starter quality?

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I’d take that bet at even odds.  Sabres do or do not make they playoffs? I say they do all day.

Easy to assume that they’ll miss if you are simply basing it on past years.  But I don’t think you’re paying attention if you assume that the future will be the same for them.

I think them or Ottawa could grab a spot

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rubik said:

@Sabrefan1 opinion?

If he has a better option than the Sabres, he'll take it.  He sold his Buffalo (Hamburg-suburb) home years ago.  He cut his Buffalo ties in the Blackhawk's heyday and became a Chicagoan.  

As for the Sabres, if they can get him on a reasonable short-term contract, he'll offer veteran leadership with a bit of upside.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Baratheon said:

If they avoid the double mid-season funks, they're for sure good enough to get in.  They go through those weird funks again, they'll miss out  for the umpteenth year in a row.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Sabres have as good a chance as any.  The only 2 teams in their division that are actually good are Florida and Tampa.  Ottawa and Buffalo both have a good chance at that 3rd spot.

Leafs

Bruins

Lightening

Panthers

Senators

Huge gap to the LOSERS

Wings
Habaroos

Puck Sucker Sabres

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Leafs

Bruins

Lightening

Panthers

Senators

Huge gap to the LOSERS

Wings
Habaroos

Puck Sucker Sabres

Toronto still has multiple AHLers on their blueline and Boston got decimated in the off-season.  Both those teams will be extremely lucky to be bubble teams.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Toronto still has multiple AHLers on their blueline and Boston got decimated in the off-season.  Both those teams will be extremely lucky to be bubble teams.

Agreed. And that just shows how crappy the Sabres (joke of a team) really is. The Sabres are the worst club in a horrible division. 

Just now, Alflives said:

115 points to 87 says you’re wrong. But you’re entitled to your opinion. 

Buffalo has actual NHL quality blueliners and forwards who care about winning.  Toronto is in big trouble after replacing their best D in Schenn with another AHL pylon in Klingberg.