[GDT] Around the NHL [April 2024]

Can’t believe the Oilers challenged for goalie interference on that! 😂

Guess they thought they were owed one? That was the most obvious non goalie interference call ever. If they had set that as a precedent for goalie interference this league would be so soft.

The Blues challenging made sense at least. The Oilers player clearly made contact and spun him to the side before the goal.

Anyways always fun so see them lose and whine like always.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Can’t believe the Oilers challenged for goalie interference on that! 😂

Guess they thought they were owed one? That was the most obvious non goalie interference call ever. If they had set that as a precedent for goalie interference this league would be so soft.

The Blues challenging made sense at least. The Oilers player clearly made contact and spun him to the side before the goal.

Anyways always fun so see them lose and whine like always.

Coilers will lose in round one to Vegas. It’s going to be fun watching McWhiner Baby cry. 

• ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It's not meaningless though, this is Colorado's game in hand on Dallas (who leads the central division), and they're three points back 

I guess, but it's a good example of how teams can phone it in at this time of year.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Imagine drafting a player of Crosbys calibre... !9 seasons a point / game... unreal..

He is an incredible talent. I can't imagine where his point total would be had he not missed a lot of hockey with concussion issues. All in his "prime" years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Imagine drafting a player of Crosbys calibre... !9 seasons a point / game... unreal..

For real, he's arguably a top 5 player all-time

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For real, he's arguably a top 5 player all-time

Yup. Was key in his club winning three Cups too. Got to be key in winning at least one (two is better) Cup to get into the group of the greatest. Crosby is right there at 5. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Was key in his club winning three Cups too. Got to be key in winning at least one (two is better) Cup to get into the group of the greatest. Crosby is right there at 5. 

As @Johngould21 said, that's with him having missed significant time during his prime as well

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Diamonds said:

92-93 was a crazy year. 4 of the 9.

It was a random throwback to the 80s for one year.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm talking out of my ass, but I'm guessing that it's probably a case by case thing regarding ownership and the NHL brass 

It's not very often there's a legit chance that a team moves

It could be seen as a way to get the dc mayor to pay for upgrades. DC agreed to help fund it so he dropped the alexandria push. 

It's pretty easy to get to the caps arena, trains get crowded but otherwise good. Biggest issue is that one intersection is a bit sketchy and not where you want to walk unless there is a crowd. The alexandria thing would have screwed over virginia folks. 

I'm happy for no change.

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm talking out of my ass, but I'm guessing that it's probably a case by case thing regarding ownership and the NHL brass 

It's not very often there's a legit chance that a team moves

Putting aside tax jurisdictions, this is like moving the Canucks from downtown to Burnaby.  Short distance from Caps arena to Alexandria. Similar to when the Coyotes moved to Glendale.

Would assume no big deal from Bettman's perspective. Whether it would be as dumb as the Coyotes move is another story.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

Putting aside tax jurisdictions, this is like moving the Canucks from downtown to Burnaby.  Short distance from Caps arena to Alexandria. Similar to when the Coyotes moved to Glendale.

Would assume no big deal from Bettman's perspective. Whether it would be as dumb as the Coyotes move is another story.

I would guess that at least 60% of all fans live in northern virginia which is basically from alexandria to arlington to fairfax out to dulles. The caps practice rink is in arlington (within 10 mins of me) so i think there was some thought that alexandria would make it easier for many of those - trains are about the same distance but dc driving is confusing and annoying. 

I agree that bettman wouldn't care, i mean the dc nfl team plays in maryland, the giants play in jersey etc 

All about the $$$

• Upvote 1