Science

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/technology/live-reveal-euclid-space-telescope-s-first-glimpse-of-the-dark-universe/ar-AA1ju4jk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7408c001298f4bcc8a010820fed14808&ei=32

"

The European Space Agency’s $1.4 billion Euclid space telescope is charged with revealing the dark universe—the 95% of the cosmos we don’t see. On Tuesday, the telescope’s first images will be revealed live.

The image reveal will be broadcast live on ESA Web TV at 8:15 a.m. ET tomorrow. ESA will also have a YouTube livestream of the reveal which can be watched below. According to an ESA release, the image reveal will include five Euclid images of the universe, and high-resolution versions of the images will be accessible at this link.

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

Euclid's first images: the dazzling edge of darkness

What makes Euclid’s view of the cosmos special is its ability to create a remarkably sharp visible and infrared image across a huge part of the sky in just one sitting.

The images released today showcase this special capacity: from bright stars to faint galaxies, the observations show the entirety of these celestial objects, while remaining extremely sharp, even when zooming in on distant galaxies.

Photos and more at:

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Space_Science/Euclid/Euclid_s_first_images_the_dazzling_edge_of_darkness?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Finally get to see the universe's scaffolding and that Neanderthal man did in fact have a good barber for his well trimmed beard. 

Science has proven that the world's oldest profession is actually hairdressing.   Nice to see old myths debunked.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Finally get to see the universe's scaffolding and that Neanderthal man did in fact have a good barber for his well trimmed beard. 

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Science has proven that the world's oldest profession is actually hairdressing.   Nice to see old myths debunked.

My question is: are they sure Neanderthals no longer exist?  Slap a pair of glasses on them, and he'd be a dead ringer for Barry Trotz!  :classic_ninja:

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My question is: are they sure Neanderthals no longer exist?  Slap a pair of glasses on them, and he'd be a dead ringer for Barry Trotz!  :classic_ninja:

Not to get all nerdy and spoil a good joke but they do in a way.   There's a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA still found in many humans.

Once it gets to last call and closing time we humans are not that picky.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

Not to get all nerdy and spoil a good joke but they do in a way.   There's a small percentage of Neanderthal DNA still found in many humans.

Once it gets to last call and closing time we humans are not that picky.

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were small pockets of peoples who were direct descendants of Neanderthals that are still around.  People seem to still make the assumption that Neanderthals were dumber than rocks and had no means to communicate coherently, but I think that they are more intelligent than they are being given credit for, and given the pre-historic interactions between the two species, it's entirely possible (as research papers suggest) that some degree of co-mingling preceded the "disappearance" of Neanderthals - and in my mind, not to extinction in the traditional sense, but perhaps to change of ways and diet resulting in the slow evolution of H. sapiens traits also becoming H. neanderthalensis "adopted" physical and mental traits. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if they were also more "street smart" than us H. sapiens, given they were able to live in harsh climates and environments and still manage to proliferate in relative stability while we get lazy, then greedy, and then unable to protect ourselves from the climate and environment we've created (poisoned, becoming extreme, and getting worse by the day).

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if there were small pockets of peoples who were direct descendants of Neanderthals that are still around.  People seem to still make the assumption that Neanderthals were dumber than rocks and had no means to communicate coherently, but I think that they are more intelligent than they are being given credit for, and given the pre-historic interactions between the two species, it's entirely possible (as research papers suggest) that some degree of co-mingling preceded the "disappearance" of Neanderthals - and in my mind, not to extinction in the traditional sense, but perhaps to change of ways and diet resulting in the slow evolution of H. sapiens traits also becoming H. neanderthalensis "adopted" physical and mental traits. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if they were also more "street smart" than us H. sapiens, given they were able to live in harsh climates and environments and still manage to proliferate in relative stability while we get lazy, then greedy, and then unable to protect ourselves from the climate and environment we've created (poisoned, becoming extreme, and getting worse by the day).

Yeah, I think they have peeled back the idea that Neanderthals were dumb.

https://www.newsweek.com/2023/01/13/neanderthals-were-smart-sophisticated-creative-misunderstood-1769443.html

They have come out with a few things that differ from what we thought about early hominids

Like, the oldest found structures were not made by us.

https://nationalpost.com/news/worlds-oldest-wooden-structure#:~:text=Scientists working in Zambia have,than the Pyramids in Egypt.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Satchmo said:

How do you know they paid for the privilege ?

Seriously though, it isn't only humans that will engage in some form of prostitution. 

Monkey's even Penguins have traded meat, stones and in one experiment silver discs. 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2012/03/rush-limbaugh-calls-sandra-fluke-a-prostitute-is-prostitution-really-the-worlds-oldest-profession.html

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

https://www.newsweek.com/2023/01/13/neanderthals-were-smart-sophisticated-creative-misunderstood-1769443.html

They have come out with a few things that differ from what we thought about early hominids

https://nationalpost.com/news/worlds-oldest-wooden-structure#:~:text=Scientists working in Zambia have,than the Pyramids in Egypt.

So, aliens then?

It burns my cookies how little disrespect ancient cultures get for innovation. They were just as smart as we are, just didn't hit the industrial revolution yet. There's a old Inuit kayak at the UBC anthropology museum that's an incredible piece of engineering. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thanks - these articles are fascinating!

Still haven't finished reading the first article, but my guess is that perhaps our species is just generally "better" (being a relative term) at fucking around - both in terms of copulation, and in terms of the types of non-sexual activities that bear consequences.  :hurhur:  Breeding faster and harder than the others, and screwing around with the environment around them, could be the primary reasons why we've become the dominant species.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Thanks - these articles are fascinating!

Still haven't finished reading the first article, but my guess is that perhaps our species is just generally "better" (being a relative term) at fucking around - both in terms of copulation, and in terms of the types of non-sexual activities that bear consequences.  :hurhur:  Breeding faster and harder than the others, and screwing around with the environment around them, could be the primary reasons why we've become the dominant species.

I think we were  a bit more nomadic.

When it got cold we moved, maybe they stayed in camps and hunted on expeditions..their meat/food became scarce? Our hunter gatherer strategy might have been better. Or they just bred into us and dissipated

• Upvote 1

Some interesting science here but I have to admit this kind of stuff gives me some serious willies.

Scientists create chimeric monkey with two sets of DNA

Scientists based in China have created a monkey chimera with two sets of DNA, experimental work they say could ultimately benefit medical research and the conservation of endangered species.

The monkey, which lived for 10 days before being euthanized, was made by combining stem cells from a cynomolgus monkey — also known as a crab-eating or long-tailed macaque, a primate used in biomedical research — with a genetically distinct embryo from the same monkey species. It’s the world’s first live birth of a primate chimera created with stem cells, the researchers said.

The term chimera originated from the monstrous hybrid creatures that populate Greek myths.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/09/world/chimeric-monkey-live-birth-stem-cell-scn/index.html

Better living through chemistry they say.   And help for population control too.    I know this is just one study but I found it interesting.  It also mentions cell phone use, among some other things.

Common pesticides in food reducing sperm count worldwide, study says

Pesticides used in our homes, gardens and lawns and sprayed on foods we eat are contributing to a dramatic decline in sperm count among men worldwide, according to a new analysis of studies over the last 50 years.

“Over the course of 50 years, sperm concentration has fallen about 50% around the world,” said senior study author Melissa Perry, dean of the College of Public Health at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia.

“What is not known is the culprit,” Perry said. “While there are likely many more contributing causes, our study demonstrates a strong association between two common insecticides —organophosphates and N-methyl carbamates — and the decline of sperm concentration.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/15/health/sperm-damage-pesticides-wellness/index.html

• Sad 1

There's a nice piece about space history over at The Conversation (UK edition).  It's a real pain to copy/paste their formatted text here, so I'll just provide the URL and if you're interested, you can mosey on over.

https://theconversation.com/earthrise-historian-uncovers-the-true-origins-of-the-image-of-the-century-217720

They're all head...

...crawling around on their lips.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/starfish-are-heads-just-heads/

At first glance, starfish seem to be all limbs, with five appendages lined with rows of tube feet giving them their signature shape. Marine scientists have long wondered how they evolved to have such anatomy—and where their head might be.

It turns out that, genetically speaking, the animals are actually almost all head and no trunk, according to a new study published in Nature. The finding upends previous hypotheses about the body plans of starfish and is outright surprising, even to experts. “They’re all head?! wrote Gail Grabowsky

• Thanks 1

th?id=OIP._mwRde_6URcidwh6CWOhWQHaFm&w=287&h=217&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&pid=3.1&rm=2
"

SpaceX's uncrewed spacecraft Starship, developed to carry astronauts to the moon and beyond, failed in space shortly after lifting off on Saturday, cutting short its second test but making it further than an earlier attempt that ended in an explosion.

The two-stage rocketship blasted off from the Elon Musk-owned company's Starbase launch site near Boca Chica in Texas, helping boost the Starship spacecraft as high as 90 miles (148 km) 

----------------------------------------

more at link.

4 hours ago, Gurn said:
th?id=OIP._mwRde_6URcidwh6CWOhWQHaFm&w=287&h=217&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&pid=3.1&rm=2
"

SpaceX's uncrewed spacecraft Starship, developed to carry astronauts to the moon and beyond, failed in space shortly after lifting off on Saturday, cutting short its second test but making it further than an earlier attempt that ended in an explosion.

The two-stage rocketship blasted off from the Elon Musk-owned company's Starbase launch site near Boca Chica in Texas, helping boost the Starship spacecraft as high as 90 miles (148 km) 

----------------------------------------

more at link.

It seems that rocket explosions aren't that big a deal.  At least, not in the start of their development.

The first three launches of the Falcon 9 rocket ended in such explosions.  And now the Falcon 9 is a success - so far, in this year alone, there have been 79 Falcon 9 launches.

Here's an excerpt from an article about the first SpaceX explosion earlier this year:

"Again, just for the record, the 40-story rocket—whose upper stage is intended to serve as the lunar landing vehicle on NASA’s crewed Artemis 3 mission in the late 2020s—blew up rather than going to space. There is no prettifying that unhappy fact. But there is no arguing with one other fact too: Blowing up or crashing is what rockets do—lots of times, over and over, throughout the history of uncrewed space flight. And this inevitable part of the testing process is essential to success in space."

https://time.com/6273472/spacex-starship-explosion-no-big-deal/

• Cheers 1