Round 1 - Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs Nashville Predators (WC1)

Guess the series outcome!  

265 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win and in how many games?

• Canucks in 4
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 7
    • Predators in 4
    • Predators in 5
    • Predators in 6
    • Predators in 7
  2. 2. BONUS - Bring Ryan Kesler out of Retirement to beat the Predators one last time!

• YES!
    • No (Explain why you are wrong in the comments)

On 4/22/2024 at 11:08 PM, greenbean30 said:

This might've been answered already, but how come we don't have a watch party like all the other Canadian teams do?

Was this a Canucks decision or was this the city of Vancouver not allowing it?

No indoor viewing party either for game 4 due to Justin Timberlake concert. 

• Sad 1

I'm no city planner so there's likely many challenges or drawbacks to this than I can think of but, it just seems to me, the simplest solution would be to encourage multiple neighbourhoods to host smaller viewing parties. Same number of people but spread out all over the lower mainland from Cloverdale to Kits to West Van and on to Delta etc.

Keeping it within the City of Vancouver conversation, the mayor and his cronies could chip in to distribute say a dozen or more outdoor viewing screens to various communities like Hastings Park, Mt Pleasant, the West End, Crab Park, Marpole, UBC, Collingwood, QE Park, Champlain Heights etc etc and have small teams of security on hand in each, likely much smaller numbers in total than what would be presumed necessary to handle a massive crowd downtown

Some will want to but most will agree they don't NEED to gather with tens of thousands at the same time to enjoy the camaraderie of cheering on the team with fellow Vanouverites

I walked up to the store after tonight's game and saw 4 people on a nearby street outside wearing their jerseys. I had mine on and we all shared a bunch of whoots and hollers of Go Canucks GO! together and it was freaking awesome

They just need to get creative and focus on the simple aspects of fun and safety. Maybe look at what other cities who've never had our problems do when their teams go on playoff runs

There's gotta be a way to do it that won't create a powderkeg of drunken idiots and bad-intentioned non-fan troublemakers

• Like 1

Today the Preds player was fined 2k for goalie interference. Preds fans claiming the replay shows their player making a strong effort to mitigate the hit and should not have been penalized or finded - also Joshua's hit in their view was a clear intent to injure and the replay the claims shows Joshua leaping off the ice for the hit 

Now I get team homerism but this is interesting that their belief of devine innocents is ..... Bizzare

Joshua deserved 2 no more ... The Preds player should have gotten 5 and tossed. Fining after the game is pointless other than admitting the obvious ..... It was not called right at the time 

The 2011 “riot” is overhyped for some reason. Lots of other cities have experienced crowd control issues after their team wins or loses the big game. In many instances there are people maimed and murdered. 
But Vancouver…..

Every year the Celebration of Lights festival is held in Vancouver, crowds of people attend the PNE, etc,

It’s not as if Vancourites can’t congregate without having the uncrontrollable urge to vandalize property. 

It’s time to put this talk about the 2011 Vancouver “riot” to rest, is it not?

4 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The 2011 “riot” is overhyped for some reason. Lots of other cities have experienced crowd control issues after their team wins or loses the big game. In many instances there are people maimed and murdered. 
But Vancouver…..

Every year the Celebration of Lights festival is held in Vancouver, crowds of people attend the PNE, etc,

It’s not as if Vancourites can’t congregate without having the uncrontrollable urge to vandalize property. 

It’s time to put this talk about the 2011 Vancouver “riot” to rest, is it not?

that's what we thought about the '94 riot. 

6 minutes ago, tas said:

that's what we thought about the '94 riot. 

Plenty of much worse riots In other cities. Chicago had riots three years in a row. People were murdered. Denver 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2001.  Very common in other cities.Time to let it go.

22 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Plenty of much worse riots In other cities. Chicago had riots three years in a row. People were murdered. Denver 1997, 1998, 2000 and 2001.  Very common in other cities.Time to let it go.

or to be proactive? how does it happening in other cities make it acceptable?

2 hours ago, tas said:

or to be proactive? how does it happening in other cities make it acceptable?

Not was I was trying to imply. My point was that Vancouver isn’t unique, so why single Vancouver out?

That is very different than saying it is acceptable.

It goes without saying that every city that holds an event that will attract large crowds, should be proactive and take the necessary precautions to ensure that everyone can safely enjoy the event.

I think we both want the same thing here. 

9 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Not was I was trying to imply. My point was that Vancouver isn’t unique, so why single Vancouver out?

That is very different than saying it is acceptable.

It goes without saying that every city that holds an event that will attract large crowds, should be proactive and take the necessary precautions to ensure that everyone can safely enjoy the event.

I think we both want the same thing here. 

the only ones singling out vancouver is the city itself. why is it wrong for them to decide to err on the side of caution?

On 4/27/2024 at 9:38 PM, tas said:

the only ones singling out vancouver is the city itself. why is it wrong for them to decide to err on the side of caution?

I think being afraid to do this in round 1 is ridiculous.   It's the SCF.  

Besides, they are hosting world cup soon. That's a much bigger tournament. 

41 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I think being afraid to do this in round 1 is ridiculous.   It's the SCF.  

Besides, they are hosting world cup soon. That's a much bigger tournament. 

doesn't have the emotional investment that the canucks do. there was no riot after team canada won gold in 2010, either, but 2011 still happened. 

59 minutes ago, tas said:

doesn't have the emotional investment that the canucks do. there was no riot after team canada won gold in 2010, either, but 2011 still happened. 

Still the bottom line is, no one riots after the first round. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Still the bottom line is, no one riots after the first round. 

the bottom line is you can't host watch parties for early rounds and then cancel them for the later ones, because that's asinine. 

• -AJ- unfeatured and unpinned this topic