[Speculation] Chychrun's Ottawa future in question?

He's got one season left at 4.6M, and if he plays as an LD he's jockeying with both Sanderson and Chabot (who are both signed to term)

It'd make sense for Ottawa to move him to bolster their RD, they need another top 4RD to go with Zub

Whether that'd be a straight ahead trade featuring top 4D or a trade for assets that could be sent elsewhere is anyone's guess

He may very well stay but he doesn't sound all that interested here, and the Sens can't afford to let him walk for nothing

• chaos 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's got one season left at 4.6M, and if he plays as an LD he's jockeying with both Sanderson and Chabot (who are both signed to term)

It'd make sense for Ottawa to move him to bolster their RD, they need another top 4RD to go with Zub

Whether that'd be a straight ahead trade featuring top 4D or a trade for assets that could be sent elsewhere is anyone's guess

He may very well stay but he doesn't sound all that interested here, and the Sens can't afford to let him walk for nothing

Chych 'n' Chuk to Chic?

1 minute ago, Chickenspear said:

Chych 'n' Chuk to Chic?

I don't think Tkachuk goes anywhere, doesn't make a lot of sense for the Sens, moving Chychrun makes a lot of sense though

He holds a lot of trade value at that cap hit, and he put up 14 goals and 41 points while averaging 22:23 per game

If the Sens rejig their defense it'd make sense for a Chychrun trade to be how they do so, and he'd likely be a first pairing LD on several teams around the league

He's only got a 10-team NTC, so Sens have options even if he's only rented, but I think an extension would likely be worked out beforehand

• Like 1

Never liked that trade for them to begin with. Now it sounds like he doesn't even want to be there. Lol. Some good sound bites there though. Smells like Vegas will acquire him. They'll find a way to cheat the system some more.

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think Tkachuk goes anywhere, doesn't make a lot of sense for the Sens, moving Chychrun makes a lot of sense though

He holds a lot of trade value at that cap hit, and he put up 14 goals and 41 points while averaging 22:23 per game

If the Sens rejig their defense it'd make sense for a Chychrun trade to be how they do so, and he'd likely be a first pairing LD on several teams around the league

He's only got a 10-team NTC, so Sens have options even if he's only rented, but I think an extension would likely be worked out beforehand

I know, the wordplay was too enticing to not.

• Cheers 1

Devils make a lot of sense to me

a package around Dawson Mercer

Devils are weak on LD and I don't see Luke Hughes being a 1LD in the near future...

Chychrun could complement Dougie Hamilton well

Chychrun - Hamilton

Hughes - Marino

?? - Nemec

8 minutes ago, Caboose said:

?

Years of mismanagement from the worst GM in the salary cap era did that.

And Aquilini allowed him to stay on well past his welcome. 

Ottawa's record since they traded for him has been horrible, of course, you don't blame it on one guy but they acquired him at a time when they were challenging for a playoff spot then subsequently went into a tailspin.  This year has been no better.  A trade might be better for both sides.

22 hours ago, bh90 said:

Devils make a lot of sense to me

a package around Dawson Mercer

Devils are weak on LD and I don't see Luke Hughes being a 1LD in the near future...

Chychrun could complement Dougie Hamilton well

Chychrun - Hamilton

Hughes - Marino

?? - Nemec

How could you not see Hughes as a 1LD for the Devils?  The kid is 20 years old playing over 21min per night and just put up 47 points for the season.  I suspect in a couple years Luke will be a 70+ point 1LD playing 23min+ per night.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How could you not see Hughes as a 1LD for the Devils?  The kid is 20 years old playing over 21min per night and just put up 47 points for the season.  I suspect in a couple years Luke will be a 70+ point 1LD playing 23min+ per night.

Only 47 points in 82 games? Quinn put up 53 in 68 as a rookie. Bust.  

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

They also have Siegenthaler locked in for 4 more years at just $3.4M. He might not provide much offense but he's a very solid defensive defenseman and is only just about to turn 27. Plus Kevin Bahl seems to have finally taken the next step.

Honestly NJ has a pretty enviable and young D corps (other than Hamilton). Marino and Siegenthaler at 26 (turning 27), Bahl at 23 (turning 24), and Nemec and Hughes at 20. They could really use a better starting goalie though (or for Daws/Schmid to take a major next step).

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

I said in the near future

Just like Quinn he will need another 3-4 years at a minimum to round up his all around game. His defensive game is much worse than Quinns when he first started with the Canucks.

And Luke is no Quinn my friend. Not even close 

• Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, bh90 said:

I said in the near future

Just like Quinn he will need another 3-4 years at a minimum to round up his all around game. His defensive game is much worse than Quinns when he first started with the Canucks.

And Luke is no Quinn my friend. Not even close 

Quinn played 21min+ his rookie year, 22min+ his 2nd year, and by the 3rd year was 25min+.  I'd argue 22min+ is top pairing minutes already if you look at what the top 50 TOI minutes are across the NHL.  Realistically Luke will be playing 22min+ next year.  That puts him in 1LD territory already.

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Quinn played 21min+ his rookie year, 22min+ his 2nd year, and by the 3rd year was 25min+.  I'd argue 22min+ is top pairing minutes already if you look at what the top 50 TOI minutes are across the NHL.  Realistically Luke will be playing 22min+ next year.  That puts him in 1LD territory already.

Since when is minutes played an indicator of how good a player is? Luke Hughes got a lot of minutes because the devils were decimated by injuries and he was the best option for PP. I'm quite shocked you think Luke Hughes is anywhere close to be a 1D

70% of his shifts were ozone shifts, and saw a total of 7 minutes on the penalty kill all season. His positioning, stick work, and ability to win board battles are not good

His advanced defensive metrics are also Not good.

Luke Hughes rookie year was more reassembled of Shayne Gostebeire (sp?) than Quinns and it's not even close if you ask me.

Devils were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. They can absoloutely use a guy like Chycrun to stabilize the back end with Dougie Hamilton return while their young guys develop

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Also it took Quinn Hughes.. who many say is a generational talent... until his 4th full season (some may argue) his 5th season to establish himself as a true #1 defenseman so not sure why anyone would expect Luke Hughes to be close to a #1 after his rookie year

41 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Since when is minutes played an indicator of how good a player is? Luke Hughes got a lot of minutes because the devils were decimated by injuries and he was the best option for PP. I'm quite shocked you think Luke Hughes is anywhere close to be a 1D

70% of his shifts were ozone shifts, and saw a total of 7 minutes on the penalty kill all season. His positioning, stick work, and ability to win board battles are not good

His advanced defensive metrics are also Not good.

Luke Hughes rookie year was more reassembled of Shayne Gostebeire (sp?) than Quinns and it's not even close if you ask me.

Devils were one of the worst defensive teams in the league. They can absoloutely use a guy like Chycrun to stabilize the back end with Dougie Hamilton return while their young guys develop

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/new-jersey-devils/line-combinations

Top pair: Hughes-Marino

/thread

41 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Also it took Quinn Hughes.. who many say is a generational talent... until his 4th full season (some may argue) his 5th season to establish himself as a true #1 defenseman so not sure why anyone would expect Luke Hughes to be close to a #1 after his rookie year

Here are some ACTUAL facts for you to digest and argue against (even though 1LD is slapping you in the face):

For NJD, Luke Hughes was:

1st in TOI among all players

7th in CF% with 54.54%

8th in FF% with 52.55%

Offensive Zone Start % = 54.88% (no idea where you got 70% from)

All while playing his 1st full year in the NHL on a pretty crappy team this year.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=N.J&pos=S&loc=B&toi=200&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

REAL stats show he's gonna be a 1LD very, very soon.  Your opinion doesn't change the facts.