1 hour ago, rmok said:

He absolutely did not sign a contract under market value. He did demand/suggest other players do that.. like Burrows. He also signed an offer sheet forcing the canucks to pay him way more than his value at the time. 
Oh look you are one of those people that doesn't understand what a no trade clause is. A no trade clause is negotiated so that a team can't just choose to trade a player.. or trade them to certain teams.. It is not negotiated so you can demand a trade when the team doesn't actually want to trade you and then use it to hamstring the team to only trade you to the team you want to go to. 
Ya he wanted to win.. for him, not the team and when things got tough he didn't play better he demanded to go leach off Kane and Toews or Perry and Getzlaf... in other words he didn't give a damn about vancouver and he doesn't deserve to be in the ROH because he had one really good year. 

Incorrect.  He did take a discount on his last contract with the Canucks.  He could have demanded much higher on the open market.  Signing an offer sheet on his earlier contract was well within his, or any other free agents rights, like it or not.

I understand no trade clauses.  No need to be rude.  I also understand that he asked for a trade, and limited the teams that the Canucks could send him to, which, like it or not, is within his rights too.  The Canucks did not need to trade him, but they chose to trade him rather than deal with an unhappy player.

Yes, he wanted to win for the team he played for.  While he played in Vancouver, he wanted to win for the Canucks.  When that wasn't going to happen, he asked for a trade.  I always saw him as a mercenary for hire type of player, so I wasn't upset when he wanted out.  Whether he gave a damn about Vancouver or not is really irrelevant.  He was a very good player for us, and he played the right way.  I'll take that any day, regardless of his personality (which I didn't care for TBH).  Given his style of play, I figured he was going to decline sharply anyhow, and that is what ended up happening.  Based on his numbers alone, he should make the ROH, but if he doesn't, I won't really care.

I just want a cup already.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

You have to look at cap percentage and what that player did UP UNTIL then.   The Sedins and Kesler were all paid handsomely for that.   The one player who took a discount,  and was paid later, was Burrows. 

Agreed, but Kesler could have, and would have commanded a higher yeild on the open market.  He took less to play here.  Yes he was still paid well.

7 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

I have always maintained that I had no problem with Kesler wanting out.

He served this team faithfully.  He put the team on his back during the finals run.  He earned the right to ask out.

However, as I said, its how he handled the trade negotations.

His first order of business was telling everyone who would listen during the 2014 Olympic break that he was done with the team and wanted a trade.  This obviously became public knowledge very quickly.  He quickly denied it publically but the damage was done.  A much more classy thing to have done would be to have privately asked for a trade and allowed the team to shop him around.  Yes, it may have leaked that we were exploring a trade, but it would have been much less chaotic and embarassing for the team in general.

His next order of business was putting only 2 teams on his NMC list.  One was Chicago who 1) had enough superstars already that they were having trouble retaining and 2) a bitter rival who was unlikely to give up any serious assets to acquire him (even if they had the cap space and desire to add him).  One was Anaheim.  This was effectively a 1 team list.  It is impossible to get any sort of leverage in negotiations when you are only dealing with one party.  We needed some semblance of a bidding war and this was made impossible by Kesler.... likely by design.  

Benning should have known this and demanded he expand the list to 7-8 contenders.  I believe Kesler had 2 years left on his deal and I am sure he would have caved.

Kesler's agent applied pressure and I suppose Benning just wanted to cut his losses, be done with it, and get a fresh start without causing too much of a distraction.  While Benning's incompetence is not Kesler's fault, Kesler sullied his legacy here by the way he and his agent acted and I (personally) will never honor him.  I will happily boo him at his inducton ceremony if it ever comes to it.  

And that is your right as a fan.  I understood who Kesler was from a very early point in his career, and didn't care as long as he played hard, and played well, which he did.

I thought he was an arrogant, pompous jerk.  However, he was a key player for us for a long time.  Whether he makes the ROH or not, I don't really care.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I was just pointing out that his offense alone, even disregarding his defense, was worth more than $5M in 2010. But he was also among the elite defensively in the NHL. You can also look at his closest comparables when he signed his contract and he took less. Mikko Koivu signed the same summer for $6.75M (11.36% of cap) and Mike Richards was making $5.75M which was signed a couple years earlier. Bergeron also signed for the same $5M as Kesler that summer and at the time Kesler was the better of the two.

He was the ideal guy to get fed by the Sedins on the power play (made actually Burrows offensive production during this time even more considering he rarely to my memory got that "privilege" on the power play during the peak Sedin years.

On the fence with this one....

Kessler was a warrior for us then. Similar to what Miller is now, but probably better in his best season.
So much so I thought, he should have been the Captain.

Still remember him taking the team on his back v Nashville and carried them.
And as @IBatchsaid, he dropped them with Iginla, and was a fabulous shit stirrer... and a fantastic hockey players and selke winner... its not as if we have had too many of those...

The return easn't chopped liver neither. A good first, a player who went on to win the SC and a throw in...

And yet.... Kesler burnt his bridges behind him, and couldn't care less at the time.
It was Kasler first and Canucks and their fans second. 
Seeing Burr, Bieksa and Hansen (the class he came through with) all still being loved up here, will hurt him no end. Nobody cares about him in Anaheim. They had their stars and cup winners there...

Had he kept it private within the group, the fans would not have complained, as they all knew a rebuild was needed. 

In saying all the above, if FA had allowed Gillis to make a total rebuild, when he said so, this would never had been an issue. And we would have had to wait 12 years to have a proper team again. 

So would not be upset (used to be) if he got included, but would definately also understand, if he didn't. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

16 hours ago, Thundernuts said:

Incorrect.  He did take a discount on his last contract with the Canucks.  He could have demanded much higher on the open market.  Signing an offer sheet on his earlier contract was well within his, or any other free agents rights, like it or not.

I understand no trade clauses.  No need to be rude.  I also understand that he asked for a trade, and limited the teams that the Canucks could send him to, which, like it or not, is within his rights too.  The Canucks did not need to trade him, but they chose to trade him rather than deal with an unhappy player.

Yes, he wanted to win for the team he played for.  While he played in Vancouver, he wanted to win for the Canucks.  When that wasn't going to happen, he asked for a trade.  I always saw him as a mercenary for hire type of player, so I wasn't upset when he wanted out.  Whether he gave a damn about Vancouver or not is really irrelevant.  He was a very good player for us, and he played the right way.  I'll take that any day, regardless of his personality (which I didn't care for TBH).  Given his style of play, I figured he was going to decline sharply anyhow, and that is what ended up happening.  Based on his numbers alone, he should make the ROH, but if he doesn't, I won't really care.

I just want a cup already.

If a player want out, and tells the club he wants out, he gets traded. 
However, if a player wants out, and limits the trading area to 2 teams, then its not just about wanting out, but to have a cake and eat it.... 

He had agreed to a contract, so either honour it or keep it private and take, what you get...

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Kesler also took a discount. Following two Selke finalist seasons (with 59 and 75 points respectively) he signed a contract for 8.42% of the cap. That would have been $7M last season. In 2009-10 he was 22nd in league scoring and 11th among centers. He was effectively playing at a 1st line level so yes, signing for what would be the equivalent of $7M today was a discount.

Prior to his RFA/UFA big money deal,  Kesler's previous 3 seasons were 16,  37 and 59 points.    The deal was signed when he was 25 year much like EP (ok August instead of Nov).  And it was a big money deal for a one time 59 point scorer, Selke finalist or not.   The fact this deal went on to look very good for us, doesn't take away at the time, a lot of "holy shit that's a lot of money for one good season" was written heavily about, and scared a lot of fans.    ANA signed even a bigger deal after correct?   All UFA years.   There were plenty of fans who recalled his previous season and were concerned.   It was for sure more than fair.      Was he Kris Draper?   Or Madden?  Or something else.    Deals for RFA's bet on improvements, they don't always happen.    At the time there were people on this site who felt Burrows was just a valuable, he took a discount, and was rewarded for it.   Kesler didn't take one IMO anyways.    Today Ryan O'Reilly is a good comp.   What was he making?   At 26,27 etc and what's he making now?  4.5.     

Edited by IBatch

11 minutes ago, spook007 said:

On the fence with this one....

Kessler was a warrior for us then. Similar to what Miller is now, but probably better in his best season.
So much so I thought, he should have been the Captain.

Still remember him taking the team on his back v Nashville and carried them.
And as @IBatchsaid, he dropped them with Iginla, and was a fabulous shit stirrer... and a fantastic hockey players and selke winner... its not as if we have had too many of those...

The return easn't chopped liver neither. A good first, a player who went on to win the SC and a throw in...

And yet.... Kesler burnt his bridges behind him, and couldn't care less at the time.
It was Kasler first and Canucks and their fans second. 
Seeing Burr, Bieksa and Hansen (the class he came through with) all still being loved up here, will hurt him no end. Nobody cares about him in Anaheim. They had their stars and cup winners there...

Had he kept it private within the group, the fans would not have complained, as they all knew a rebuild was needed. 

In saying all the above, if FA had allowed Gillis to make a total rebuild, when he said so, this would never had been an issue. And we would have had to wait 12 years to have a proper team again. 

So would not be upset (used to be) if he got included, but would definately also understand, if he didn't. 

Time heals all wounds.  Or so the saying goes.    Kesler was a unique player.   The only other guy we had somewhat like him, was Mike Peca.   Who we traded Mogilny for.    Different players (still haven't seen a 5'11 175lb guy explode guys with hits quite like Peca did).    Both special talents. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 7:05 AM, Alflives said:

Kesler won the Selke. He was the best at what he did in the league. He was great for us. He’s absolutely an ROH guy. Edler not so much. He was a good player but never one of the top guys, at his position, in the league. Kesler was. 

With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about? It's baffling that you'd say Kes is a ROH guy and then exclude a much more tenured Canuck in Edler.

Kes wanted out, Eddie stuck with us through most of the tough years with little to help him on D beyond Tanev.

Edler is 4th all-time for Canucks with 925 games played, every other guy ahead of him is in the rafters.

Quinn will pass him eventually but he also leads Canucks D in goals with 99, and in assists with 310. 

He's 12th all-time in points for Canucks, and leads all Canucks D, with 409.

He's 10th all-time in playoff points, 8th all-time in playoff assists. 4th in playoff games played, 2nd in playoff points for D.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Prior to his RFA/UFA big money deal,  Kesler's previous 3 seasons were 16,  37 and 59 points.    The deal was signed when he was 25 year much like EP (ok August instead of Nov).  And it was a big money deal for a one time 59 point scorer, Selke finalist or not.   The fact this deal went on to look very good for us, doesn't take away at the time, a lot of "holy shit that's a lot of money for one good season" was written heavily about, and scared a lot of fans.    ANA signed even a bigger deal after correct?   All UFA years.   There were plenty of fans who recalled his previous season and were concerned.   It was for sure more than fair.      Was he Kris Draper?   Or Madden?  Or something else.    Deals for RFA's bet on improvements, they don't always happen.    At the time there were people on this site who felt Burrows was just a valuable, he took a discount, and was rewarded for it.   Kesler didn't take one IMO anyways.    Today Ryan O'Reilly is a good comp.   What was he making?   At 26,27 etc and what's he making now?  4.5.     

I certainly won't argue that Kesler's deal with Anaheim was too much. It definitely was for a guy already in his 30's who had a lot of wear and tear. He did get two more Selke finalist nods with them though.

Kesler signed his $5Mx6 when at the end of March 2010 when the season was almost finished and he was well on his way to his 75 point seasonand Selke runner-up. Also the prior 59 point season he was a Selke finalist so it wasn't just one good season, and it was a trend going in the right direction. You're correct that Ryan O'Reilly is another decent comparable to Kesler and they signed their deals around the same age. O'Reilly signed for $7.5M in 2015 which was 10.5% of the cap. So again, Kesler's 8.42% of the cap was still a deal.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about? It's baffling that you'd say Kes is a ROH guy and then exclude a much more tenured Canuck in Edler.

Kes wanted out, Eddie stuck with us through most of the tough years with little to help him on D beyond Tanev.

Edler is 4th all-time for Canucks with 925 games played, every other guy ahead of him is in the rafters.

Quinn will pass him eventually but he also leads Canucks D in goals with 99, and in assists with 310. 

He's 12th all-time in points for Canucks, and leads all Canucks D, with 409.

He's 10th all-time in playoff points, 8th all-time in playoff assists. 4th in playoff games played, 2nd in playoff points for D.

Edler was a good player but was never even close to the best at his role on the nhl. Kesler was the best (Selke winner) in his role and among the best for several years with us. Bure wanted out too and his number is in the rafters. 
IMHAO a player needed to be a great player and not just a good player to be in the ROH or have the number retired. Twins, Bure, Naslund, Trevor, Luongo, and (maybe?) a couple others. But certainly not Edler. And for sure Kesler. 

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Time heals all wounds.  Or so the saying goes.    Kesler was a unique player.   The only other guy we had somewhat like him, was Mike Peca.   Who we traded Mogilny for.    Different players (still haven't seen a 5'11 175lb guy explode guys with hits quite like Peca did).    Both special talents. 

And thankfully so... old grudges is a waste of time....

Had you asked me 5 years ago about Kesler, I would have said a massive NO. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Edler was a good player but was never even close to the best at his role on the nhl. Kesler was the best (Selke winner) in his role and among the best for several years with us. Bure wanted out too and his number is in the rafters. 
IMHAO a player needed to be a great player and not just a good player to be in the ROH or have the number retired. Twins, Bure, Naslund, Trevor, Luongo, and (maybe?) a couple others. But certainly not Edler. And for sure Kesler. 

Doesn't exactly align with what the Canucks have done with the ring thus far, the Canucks have used the ring to celebrate and acknowledge players who made a lasting impact on the Canucks. It's about Canucks not about the rest of the league, one doesn't need to have won awards or have been a cream of the crop player to have been important to the Canucks organization. 

Using recent comparables, Burrows was never a top of the league player either, he was a top six winger, he's in the ring. Ohlund was a top pairing D for a while, the same way Edler was, and led Canucks D in most categories until Edler supplanted him. 

Using a couple older Canuck examples, Gradin was a top six player during the 80's, but didn't put up numbers that had him towards to top of the league in the 80's. Still finished as the highest producing center in Canucks history though, he was an impactful Canuck. Snepsts was a top four D similar to Edler, and led the Canucks in games played and penalty minutes at one point. 

Edler's supplanted Ohlund regarding Canucks offensive records and passed Snepsts in games played. He played over a hundred more games as a Canucks than Burrows. One can attribute it to his longevity as a Canuck in part, but Edler is one of the best D in Canucks history as far as numbers go, and if anything his loyalty is to be commended, not used to diminish his accomplishments as a Canuck. 

Edler's one of seven players to play 800+ games as a Canuck, and one of only four to play 900+. Kesler played 665. It's tough to reasonably argue that Kesler should be in the ring but Edler shouldn't be, he should be, and I've no doubt he'll get there. 

• Cheers 1

I'd rather give the ROH to someone who stuck through the thick and thin. Players that contribute on and off the ice and still call Vancouver home and not just in it for a bag and bounce. Bieksa still does charity work here and deserve the recognition. That's a heart of a Canuck.

Edited by Canuck You
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I'd rather give the ROH to someone who stuck through the thick and thin. Players that contribute on and off the ice and still call Vancouver home and not just in it for a bag and bounce. Bieksa and Maclean still do charity work here and deserve the recognition. That's a heart of a Canuck.

McLean was inducted in 2010 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

If a player want out, and tells the club he wants out, he gets traded. 
However, if a player wants out, and limits the trading area to 2 teams, then its not just about wanting out, but to have a cake and eat it.... 

He had agreed to a contract, so either honour it or keep it private and take, what you get...

Obviously, that is not how it always works. 

On 4/23/2024 at 10:42 AM, Canuck You said:

I'd rather give the ROH to someone who stuck through the thick and thin. Players that contribute on and off the ice and still call Vancouver home and not just in it for a bag and bounce. Bieksa still does charity work here and deserve the recognition. That's a heart of a Canuck.

According to you. Did Bure stick with the club through thick and thin? His jersey is retired. 

On 4/24/2024 at 12:29 AM, IBatch said:

I think Kesler did take a discount.

Whether he took a discount at the signing of his contract. Or he outplayed his contract. Either way he was worth way more than the 5million AAV when he was being traded. 

To argue otherwise, would be the same as saying McKinnon didn't take a discount for Colorado under his 6.3million AAV contract. Which would make no sense at all. 

In fact, a 6milx6years contract right after the entry contract was quite popular back in those years. And I view those as a loyalty contract. It was decent money for the player and many of the times it worked out for the team by saving a lot of cap. The players can easily bet on themselves, demand a bridge contract of 3 years, get paid 6million x 3 years, and ask for more AAV at the age of 25-26. In fact, this is what we see with Matthews and Pettersson lol. And in Kesler's case, it's 5milx6years. 

Edited by Drakrami

Posted (edited)
On 4/23/2024 at 1:42 PM, Coconuts said:

Doesn't exactly align with what the Canucks have done with the ring thus far, the Canucks have used the ring to celebrate and acknowledge players who made a lasting impact on the Canucks. It's about Canucks not about the rest of the league, one doesn't need to have won awards or have been a cream of the crop player to have been important to the Canucks organization. 

Using recent comparables, Burrows was never a top of the league player either, he was a top six winger, he's in the ring. Ohlund was a top pairing D for a while, the same way Edler was, and led Canucks D in most categories until Edler supplanted him. 

Using a couple older Canuck examples, Gradin was a top six player during the 80's, but didn't put up numbers that had him towards to top of the league in the 80's. Still finished as the highest producing center in Canucks history though, he was an impactful Canuck. Snepsts was a top four D similar to Edler, and led the Canucks in games played and penalty minutes at one point. 

Edler's supplanted Ohlund regarding Canucks offensive records and passed Snepsts in games played. He played over a hundred more games as a Canucks than Burrows. One can attribute it to his longevity as a Canuck in part, but Edler is one of the best D in Canucks history as far as numbers go, and if anything his loyalty is to be commended, not used to diminish his accomplishments as a Canuck. 

Edler's one of seven players to play 800+ games as a Canuck, and one of only four to play 900+. Kesler played 665. It's tough to reasonably argue that Kesler should be in the ring but Edler shouldn't be, he should be, and I've no doubt he'll get there. 

This won't be popular, but I do get some of where @Alflives is coming from, and don't think players should get in based simply on longevity, Edler was more then just a warm body for sure.   There are lots of players who were with us for around a a decade, a decade verus a decade in a half ... ok.   As far as Edler goes, he was steady but far from our best D.   Wasn't our top pairing in the peak Sedin era.    And didn't "take over from Ohlund" either, we had Jovo for most of that era too, and Salo and Mitchell was our best D when he was around. 

And don't think that if players goes elsewhere to chase a cup they should be penalized, Edler was paid handsomely to stick around for the down cycle and cliff this team was facing,  "loyal like Tanev" one could say, "refused to waive when asked" is another angle.  

Charity work and community work and where players retire, their alumni - do they "identify" as a Canuck?   I'd rather see Bieksa in the ROH if I had to choose.   Another close to decade long player.    Who absolutely identifies as a Canuck (so does Eagle), and creates positive impacts every week as media personality now, plus has a memorable moment in his Stanchion goal, how he made Eager go mad so we didn't have a situation like we currently have playing NSH, SJ was definitely getting better as the series went on, Luongo and Bieksa saved the day... Bieksa was a Conn Smythe candidate heading  into the Boston series, and Babych's pick on our team  ...).   Lasting impact, not as big as Burrow's goal, but most impactful player in that SJ series, and for me anyways, my favourite player with Burrows and Kesler, on that team.   Guys willing to do a anything for their teams.

Kesler vs Edler is easy too.    But also get where Alf is coming from, it can look like celebrating mediocrity.    Half his career we were a decent to great team, the other half yikes, terrible.   We've absolutely had better, and a lot around the same.    Quite a long list.    "Lasting impact"  is one of the requirements or the key metric.   The fact he went to LA and chased the money and not a cup is a box that Edler can't tick.    And why did it have to be LA?   Not quite as bad as CHI, or Boston but pretty close.    To me anyways, he seemed fine collecting his pay cheques, and like Salo, playing 2/3 - 3/4 of a season.   Like Salo too, our winning percentage went up with him on the team.   Not as much though.    

When it comes to longevity, i'd pick a better player who was around for around a decade, who played at a higher level and made a bigger impact, then one who was steady and played 40-50% more games.  Lumme, Jovo, Bertuzzi, Ronning, Kesler, Bieksa... what if Aucion played all his games with us instead?   He'd be in the ROH too.   Or Hedican.    Jovo possibly have his number retired.

Don't have any problem with Edler going to the ROH, but do understand those who might.   Not waiving hurt this team a lot.   Edler and Tanev, as soon as one went down so did our season, and those years were always going to be bad regardless, seemed like a waste of Edler's talents.   Hard to win hockey games with one legit top four pairing, a couple 6-7's and the rest AHLers.   We could have used both his cap and the better picks if he waived.   Money seemed important to him.   Got more than he should have his last deal, and it's telling 6 million down to 1 million what the market felt about his services by that point, if he waived, it wouldn't have been much of a haul by then even with 50% retention.

Couldn't keep up his final year with us,  was sad to see him lose his speed. 

Also aside from a couple years when the team had 3 top four pairings,  seriously struggled compared to his peers to keep the puck out of our net, and to a degree compared to his peers then as well.     People must have short memories, for years he was our whipping boy.   Right up until Myers and took some of that away.  

Maybe some of that persists.    Again, if it was Aucion or Hedican instead, they'd get in as well.   Think some fans were expecting more from him after he almost scored 50, and waiting for that plus watching him lose his early physicality led to unfair whipping.   Steady Eady, nothing wrong with that either. 

He's one of the better D's in team history that goes without saying.   Don't think he was better than Ohlund, Mitchell, Jovo, Hamhuis and pretty much on par with Salo, although  Salo was better defensively.   That's just the guys he played with.   

Lasting impact, he's got that given he's our leader in games played.   QHs will have obliterated his scoring records by the time he's done his current deal. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

On 4/21/2024 at 7:08 PM, BTueyCanucksFan said:

So, I haven't seen this posted here yet so I am posting it for people's perusal. Even though the interview was with Kesler, I would take this with a grain of salt. Canucks Army is not the most credible of shoes most of the time but the interview was certainly interesting. Personally, if true, I would love to see it happen. Enough time has passed and he has made attempts to mess the bridges that were burned on his departure. Of course there is another former Canuck who has not officially retired, who would be with of the same gesture. Two actually: Matthias Ohlund and Alexandre Burrows. All three have so much to this team and should never have left, in my opinion. The article along with the line interview are included below. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/love-retire-canuck-ryan-kesler-talks-possibility-ring-honour

I'm confused. ohlund and burrows are both in the ring of honour already.