[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

DeSmith played great against the Oilers, has experience against them and it's not like he played poorly against Nashville.  The oilers are going to come out guns a blazing and CD might be the better option.   If Silovs goes in against the high Octane and Oilers and gets shelled early in game 1, that would be bad, imo.

How about we shell the crap out of the Coilers goalie. What do the Soilers do? 

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

DeSmith played great against the Oilers, has experience against them and it's not like he played poorly against Nashville.  The oilers are going to come out guns a blazing and CD might be the better option.   If Silovs goes in against the high Octane and Oilers and gets shelled early in game 1, that would be bad, imo.

Silovs is seeing things so well right now tho. There's a lot to be said about staying with a hot goalie.

Not sure it's the defining factor either way if we stay out of the box. I'd go with Silovs but can see why Tocc might go back to desmith.

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

I say you stick with silovs until he falters and then go to the veteran backup. I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 goalies win a game again this round. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, spook007 said:

I'd even suggest Garland is just about as good at it....

As Tic Toc always preaches, and most of us know sitting here in an armchair swilling Beringer, keep your feet moving and you will draw penalties.

I will admit to being on the fence at the beginning of this year on Gnarly Garly but his motor is ALWAYS running thus has endeared himself into my heart - and pretty much everyone else on the team, the coaching staff and most posters here on this board. 

Another player with a motor revving at 5,000 rpm most times and does well went playing like that is Hoglander. 

Can't wait until Tuesday / Wednesday when the boyz spank the Coilers 6-1 (okay maybe 6-2).

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, tas said:

I say you stick with silovs until he falters and then go to the veteran backup. I wouldn't be shocked if all 3 goalies win a game again this round. 

Maybe in reverse.

4 hours ago, syntheticity said:

You seem to be using the word "style" in a different sense from how I was using the term. I nowhere claim that VAN's style reduces to a rigid 1-2-2 system or that LA's style reduces to a rigid 1-3-1, nor did anything I say imply that. In the sense I was using the term, there's an overall systems difference that's widely acknowledged. For example:

And there are a number other differences beyond the ones mentioned here by McDavid...

But in any case, let's agree to avoid a pointless verbal dispute over the meaning of the word "style." If you prefer to refer to these differences as differences of implementation or discipline or something else, instead of differences of style, then fine. The point of my original post is that there are important differences between how EDM matches up against VAN vs how they matched up against LA, and it's not obvious that their success against LA implies automatic success against VAN.

Great post. One thing my dad and I notice game in and game out is how noticeably Myers has been instructed to never leave that net front unless he's got a sure chance of clearing the puck. Like he's attached to a spring loaded tether that pulls him back when he gets to far. Soucy has always been very good at not getting pulled out of position, and Zadorov has been good there too in the playoffs. Throw in Cole and yeah it's hard for teams to set up if we already have huge bodies occupying those spots on the ice.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Great post. One thing my dad and I notice game in and game out is how noticeably Myers has been instructed to never leave that net front unless he's got a sure chance of clearing the puck. Like he's attached to a spring loaded tether that pulls him back when he gets to far. Soucy has always been very good at not getting pulled out of position, and Zadorov has been good there too in the playoffs. Throw in Cole and yeah it's hard for teams to set up if we already have huge bodies occupying those spots on the ice.

The size we have on D is a big reason I have soo much faith,

We need to just play smart and hit as much as possible.

We should win any wars of attrition. 

And I am very impressed with Silovs. 

We seem like a 'team of destiny'... and the fact that our #3 goalie is such a champ fits that narrative perfectly. 

I think it's gonna be a tough journey... but man, good vibes.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How about we shell the crap out of the Coilers goalie. What do the Soilers do? 

If I'm petey, Miller, hronek im aiming a 100mph shot right at McDavids skate 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

Not sure If this was posted earlier..

image.thumb.png.dfb86edc9b4904578b7f38256aa9e44f.png

let’s prove them wrong boys!! Nothing like being an underdog!!

Yup. Same with the athletic. If nucks win the 3 people on this site that have a subscription to them should immediately cancel. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

McBaby on the bench after getting hit by one of those bombs: 

E7BE1685-AA51-4C43-AB19-11818AE1F3E2.gif.219af8bd414d518f398386d2f9f7f301.gif

If he even gets breathed on, he snaps his head back like he’s being shot in the head.

22 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

As Tic Toc always preaches, and most of us know sitting here in an armchair swilling Beringer, keep your feet moving and you will draw penalties.

I will admit to being on the fence at the beginning of this year on Gnarly Garly but his motor is ALWAYS running thus has endeared himself into my heart - and pretty much everyone else on the team, the coaching staff and most posters here on this board. 

Another player with a motor revving at 5,000 rpm most times and does well went playing like that is Hoglander. 

Can't wait until Tuesday / Wednesday when the boyz spank the Coilers 6-1 (okay may 6-2).

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

He reminds me so much of Burrows with his ability to irritate the opponent and score timely goals.  Hoglander is so similar to Hansen that it's a shame that he changed his number.

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

Almost everyone is picking the Coilers to beat our beloved Canucks ... woohoo, odds are swinging into a very nice bet ... on my beloved Canucks. 

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

image.png.8afe0ae0bf75eac2982cb3b4e65e20e6.png

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/every-espn-analyst-picks-oilers-beat-canucks-messier

https://canucksarmy.com/news/mark-messier-and-many-others-pick-the-oilers-to-beat-the-canucks-in-round-two

That's great! now carry on; tenor.gif

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Since both teams essentially know what they are going to do - execution will play a huge part in deciding this. I hope RT has some flexibility in his forward lines in this series.  The Preds kept things pretty tight and we were able to get away with limited scoring - we will need more contributions from others in the series as I highly doubt we will get any 1-0 games.

Of course PK, Discipline and patience will be very important   - its going to be a tough regardless as we are down to the final 8 - at least we can try to minimize our mistakes and see where it takes us. 

Oilers are a dangerous offensive team with McD + company and we have to play with that awareness if we are to have success in this series.

Unlike the first round, we will now need to maintain 3 periods of consistent play as the Oilers have beaten quite a few teams in the third period this year (if you check their box scores)

Now, best thing for everyone is to see when this series actually get started.

justwin.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

20 minutes ago, Dr.BRR said:

Not sure If this was posted earlier..

image.thumb.png.dfb86edc9b4904578b7f38256aa9e44f.png

let’s prove them wrong boys!! Nothing like being an underdog!!

THIS should be posted in the locker room. This is insulting. Shout out to Ryan Clark.

• Like 1