[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Want to know who is almost as good as McDavid at drawing penalties?  Elias Pettersson.  This is his chance to bounce back.

I'd even suggest Garland is just about as good at it....

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I think we will see alot more penalties called this series. 

Canucks future will really depend on special teams. 

Looks like we've improved our pk. Oilers potent offense will get their chances and some PP goals  but the canucks will need to answer when we get our pp chances. 

We'll need some timely goals on PP this round. 

Now here's an unpopular idea. 

If for whatever reason we look outmatched in the first couple of games and are getting blown out, (which I don't think will be the case) , the last resort would be to give Mcdavid the Hughes treatment from Nashville and run him for the remainder of the game. Everytime he has the puck, finish the check and lay him out. 

A forward needs to be draped all over him when he's flying through the neutral zone. While he's engaged and trying to pull away, Z then steps up and blind sides him a la Torres on Seabrook or Bertuzzi on Jackman. 

Mcdavid will be too difficult to hit one on one on open ice like Hughes. Only chance is to funnel him and have him engaged with a player while another one steps up on him. 

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Vancan said:

Those were great teams in the days. Really impressive was the 1990 without gretz. However those teams had more than mediocre goal tending and defense. With all due respect, that is not the case now.

Fuhr was outstanding in the 80s and Bill Ranford was a brick wall in a Conn Smythe winning effort in 1990.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I think we will see alot more penalties called this series. 

Canucks future will really depend on special teams. 

Looks like we've improved our pk. Oilers potent offense will get their chances and some PP goals  but the canucks will need to answer when we get our pp chances. 

We'll need some timely goals on PP this round. 

Now here's an unpopular idea. 

If for whatever reason we look outmatched in the first couple of games and are getting blown out, (which I don't think will be the case) , the last resort would be to give Mcdavid the Hughes treatment from Nashville and run him for the remainder of the game. Everytime he has the puck, finish the check and lay him out. 

A forward needs to be draped all over him when he's flying through the neutral zone. While he's engaged and trying to pull away, Z then steps up and blind sides him a la Torres on Seabrook or Bertuzzi on Jackman. 

Mcdavid will be too difficult to hit one on one on open ice like Hughes. Only chance is to funnel him and have him engaged with a player while another one steps up on him. 

I remember both those hits, Torres always hit hard and seemed to be 50/50 on being just over the line ending in a penalty. That hit by Bertuzzi finished Jackman for the rest of the series. He was never the same afterwards.

We need General Zeke to be somewhere between Bertuzzi and Torres but just this side of getting a penalty. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

Never underestimate the “nobody’s giving us a chance” narrative. The Oilers are supposedly going to roll us this round. Good, keep saying stuff like that! I remember Montreal in 2021, every single round they supposedly had no business being there. Made it all the way to the finals before bowing out to a repeat Cup winner in TB. We can win this series, there is zero pressure on us!

• Vintage 1

Oilers only chance is if the refs make this a open game with special teams deciding the game and make bad calls to give them a chance on the PP

I believe we win the 5v5 game 

Does the NHL want to showcase McDavid or Quinn advancing?

McDavid being around longer and always voted by his peers as the best, is more like soccer without Messi to showcase

I just hope the game isn't managed and we get a great series with us being the victors 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So "Dom" from the Athletic says his model gives the Canucks a 26% chance. 

He was wrong about us sweeping the Oily's in the regular season. He was wrong about us winning the Pacific. He was wrong about us beating Nashville. 

So by that account we should be happy with his prediction 

• ThereItIs 2
  • chaos 1

On 5/3/2024 at 8:21 PM, Alflives said:

Empties have spoken: Canucks in 5. McWhiner Baby cries all summer. So much crying. 

That'll help with the drought then. 

• Haha 2

Almost everyone is picking the Coilers to beat our beloved Canucks ... woohoo, odds are swinging into a very nice bet ... on my beloved Canucks. 

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

image.png.8afe0ae0bf75eac2982cb3b4e65e20e6.png

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/every-espn-analyst-picks-oilers-beat-canucks-messier

https://canucksarmy.com/news/mark-messier-and-many-others-pick-the-oilers-to-beat-the-canucks-in-round-two

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

28 minutes ago, Ballisticsports said:

Oilers only chance is if the refs make this a open game with special teams deciding the game and make bad calls to give them a chance on the PP

I believe we win the 5v5 game 

Does the NHL want to showcase McDavid or Quinn advancing?

McDavid being around longer and always voted by his peers as the best, is more like soccer without Messi to showcase

I just hope the game isn't managed and we get a great series with us being the victors 🙂

Agreed on all fronts. 

After they let go of all the clutch and grab in the first round, if this round turns into a special teams event, we'll know what the league wants. 

However I think the canucks have built a team that can win with many different styles. 

Funny thing is, if Mcdavid gets injured, the league probably wouldn't want the oilers to advance anyway because there's nothing to market without Mcdavid. Nobody cares about a weak market like Edmonton without Mcdavid. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Almost everyone is picking the Coilers to beat our beloved Canucks ... woohoo, odds are swinging into a very nice bet ... on my beloved Canucks. 

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

image.png.8afe0ae0bf75eac2982cb3b4e65e20e6.png

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/every-espn-analyst-picks-oilers-beat-canucks-messier

https://canucksarmy.com/news/mark-messier-and-many-others-pick-the-oilers-to-beat-the-canucks-in-round-two

That picture really needs a spoiler.  I almost lost my lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If we can keep McDavid focused on us and talking to the refs we will have a shot. I'm hoping Zadorov can help straighten him out as McDavid blows by our forecheck...

1 minute ago, canuck73 said:

If we can keep McDavid focused on us and talking to the refs we will have a shot. I'm hoping Zadorov can help straighten him out as McDavid blows by our forecheck...

Zadorov can set the tone and make them scared to go into the corners 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Agreed on all fronts. 

After they let go of all the clutch and grab in the first round, if this round turns into a special teams event, we'll know what the league wants. 

However I think the canucks have built a team that can win with many different styles. 

Funny thing is, if Mcdavid gets injured, the league probably wouldn't want the oilers to advance anyway because there's nothing to market without Mcdavid. Nobody cares about a weak market like Edmonton without Mcdavid. 

Mark my words- every contact with McWhiner will be called like in basketball. A hit like Big Nikita laid on Jossi will be 5 min and a game.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

you're pulling the guy who just pitched the 1-0 shutout in an elimination game?

everybody keeps telling me the regular season means nothing now, I guess that applies to desmith's performance against edmonton too. 

DeSmith played great against the Oilers, has experience against them and it's not like he played poorly against Nashville.  The oilers are going to come out guns a blazing and CD might be the better option.   If Silovs goes in against the high Octane and Oilers and gets shelled early in game 1, that would be bad, imo.