[Discussion] Get rid of Embellishment - a simple plan

Posted (edited)

I'd the NHL wants to get this out of the game, and I think they should, there's a simple way to do it.

Slight delay in resuming play on suspected embellishment plays. This is triggered by off ice official. They quickly review the play and if they feel the player embellished, then the penalty is overturned and the embellishing player is assessed 2 minutes for Unsportsmanlike conduct / embellishments and 2 minutes for causing delay of game.

Implement that and embellishments will completely stop within a week.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

• VegasCanuck changed the title to [Discussion] Get rid of Embellishment - a simple plan
22 minutes ago, crobar said:

I've never understood that if 1 player is called for embellishment why the other player still gets a penalty.

Two things can be true at once I guess? But yea, it doesn't discourage embellishment as it stands. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Two things can be true at once I guess? But yea, it doesn't discourage embellishment as it stands. 

They have the option of just taking the diver but rarely go that route.  I sympathize with hockey officials they make calls in a game with high speeds and lots going on.

36 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

They have the option of just taking the diver but rarely go that route.  I sympathize with hockey officials they make calls in a game with high speeds and lots going on.

This exactly, it's easy to miss when things are moving so fast. This is why I think handing down a double minor to a team, give them an Unsportsmanlike as well as a delay of game, same as shooting the puck over the glass and it will stop. Coaches will reign the players in really fast if properly motivated.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This exactly, it's easy to miss when things are moving so fast. This is why I think handing down a double minor to a team, give them an Unsportsmanlike as well as a delay of game, same as shooting the puck over the glass and it will stop. Coaches will reign the players in really fast if properly motivated.

Fair call for the obvious ones.

• Like 1

I don't like embellishment in hockey (or any sport for that matter) but I think I dislike video reviews even less. How many more lengthy stoppages do we need in a game? Review the truly relevant plays (basically just goals) and live with the human error elsewhere. 

I feel like the on ice officials mistake rate is a lot lower than we think. I have no data to support this so it is just my opinion. Stop slowing down the game for something that is not black and white to begin with. 

Goals - Black and white

Offside - Black and white (although not sure we really need to review)

Embellishment - massive grey area

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Yeah its really difficult for officials to catch embellishments on the fly.  So I'd goto video reviews if it eventually eliminates embellishment.  Wouldn't take very long for the really bad embellishments to go away.  I'm talking the snapping head back ones where the stick doesn't even touch the head.  Good idea @VegasCanuck.  

It's really a tricky area. We've all seen recently how Forsberg threw his head back when a stick contacted his chest, which was full on selling a call, but then if you get hit in the face with a stick, regardless of how hard, youre going to throw your head back as a reaction. In slow motion this would look like embellishment whens its likely not. It's just a natural reaction.

The ones to me are selling a high sticking call when the stick doesnt hit the head, and diving to the ice or spinning around and falling when a stick is in your hands. 

Rarely would a simple hook result in a grown man falling to the ice.

I think those two are pretty easy to pick up on, even in real time.

At the end of the day if the refs start calling both, a hook and embellishment and they were getting the embellishment wrong sometimes, it would straighten the game out.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah its really difficult for officials to catch embellishments on the fly.  So I'd goto video reviews if it eventually eliminates embellishment.  Wouldn't take very long for the really bad embellishments to go away.  I'm talking the snapping head back ones where the stick doesn't even touch the head.  Good idea @VegasCanuck.  

I think if they implemented something like this where, even if play had resumed and the team had scored a goal on the powerplay, that gets taken away, clocks get reset and the team winds up with a double minor to kill off instead? Coaches are going to reign their guys in REAL fast.

• Like 1

Every penalty needs to be getting reviewed, this process can be done remotely as soon as a ref puts his arm up to minimize slowing the game down.

Make a dive an automatic 5 and a game for first offence.

Second offence 1 game suspension, doubling each recurrence. 

Suspend any ref who decides not to call a dive that ends up with a player getting suspended.