[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri May 10 - 7pm pt | Round 2 Game 2 Canucks lead series 1-0

Skinner usually has a bounce back game so we've got to get on him early on and see if we can break him. I worry about Silovs though, he didn't look good there so we'll see if he can do the same. I think if we give up 3 goals we throw DeSmith in. I'd be all for starting DeSmith too to be honest, he had Edmonton's number during the regular season.

Up front I'd like to see us change Petey's linemates but Tocc is proving fairly stubborn and consistent and the results are coming so I doubt he will. Hogs and Mikheyev really need to get going and it does feel like a matter of time - once they do the flood gates will open and we'll be a 3 line unstoppable team so we're just trying to bide our time until that happens. 

PP has been dreadful all playoffs, I'd think about a big change there like Zadorov in the crease or Hronek bombs from the point.

You know Edmonton's going to come out hungry and attack hard and faster than they did even last game, this is anyone's game. Last game came down to goaltending for the worse and I think tonight it will be a goalie duel - whichever goalie is better and lets in less bad goals wins.

Oilers are going to throw everything including the kitchen sink at us tonight...

They'll be hurting big time. Not just because of the defeat, but the questions they've all faced and the way they lost the game...

If Canucks win tonight, I can see it being over in 4 or 5, although I still stick to my prediction of Canucks in 6 or 7....

Win tonight and they break the camels back. Forget what McD and Co. will be saying after the game. If they lose tonight, they are done. 
The doubt will kill them, as well as the knowledge its the same every year. 

Lets Go and put them out of their misery. 

:towel::towel::towel:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

So not only would you weaken the pk by taking out a player who plays pk for a player who doesn't, but you'd also put in a player that takes more than his fair share of penalties........against one of the best pp's of all time.

That would concern me as well...

I'd like to see Juulsen get some ice time eventually, but we risk him taking unnecessary penalties, or get smoked by the Oilers speed. 
It was one of the best thing in game 1. 
The D didn't overcommit to chase hits, which helped control the Oilers speed. 
Would I love to see Juulsen send an Oiler into dreamland with a bone crushing hit, sure... but not while we are only 1-0 up in the series. 
Think Cole will be fine. Surely won't make the same mistake twice. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Dance Dancing GIF by Artlist

Let's go!!!

I'll be at the game so listen for the rinky dink cowbell. And the kazoo.

What, no d2a47b395a7f25c557832c19d458b690.gif GO CANUCKS GO!!!

I, like a previous poster, am also looking forward to screaming at the TV tonight!

Enjoy the game Deb, will look for the giant cowbell being bandied about.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

This is the thing. Cole did have a bad game, but not sure Juulsen can handle playoff hockey yet. I like Juulsen, but putting him a second round of the playoffs seems like a stretch.

I disagree. Juules played better than Cole all year on the right side. He's made for playoff hockey. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, NucksNation said:

I feel like it’s so much easier for them to make plays and get scoring chances compared to Nashville, I wouldn’t be surprised if it happened and we win in 5 if we can get solid goaltending. 

It should be all series.   The Canucks likely won't face that sort of pressure again, even if we end up playing say Dallas... maybe NYR.   NYR have a couple big ass hitters (Trouba and Rempe)... There really isn't a team left like NSH (thankfully). 

Playing NSH first was a boon in that we stepped into the sort of pressure you might get in a second or third series from a big team.   Give them credit, Brunette is a heck of a coach and their roster supported a suffocating brand of hockey.    Moreso then LA.   

This series is going to come down to not taking penalties, and solid goaltending.   If we can manage that, EDM doesn't have a chance against our pressure, big D, and facing four lines that can burn them at any time.  

Elimination games are tough, you can bet EDM, will get a favourable game management call or two.    Nothing would make me happier than dusting off these guys in five ... except four.    We broke EDM to start the regular season.   We can break them to bits with solid goaltending and disciplined hard nosed hockey, that rolls four lines. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I disagree. Juules played better than Cole all year on the right side. He's made for playoff hockey. 

what about in round one when cole was lights out the entire time and the one game juulsen played he was kind of a disaster all night?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Not even close. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Mark Spector compared nurse to pronger and niedermayer? I guess it's good they are still over inflating egos. 

IMG_5920.thumb.jpeg.c61688c4debb401f1fac33cf1f65e9e3.jpeg

Aye, good one Perry... maybe finally he lost the last bit of brain he has. Nurse isn't even the best eefender amingst a very average bunch Oilers have. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It should be all series.   The Canucks likely won't face that sort of pressure again, even if we end up playing say Dallas... maybe NYR.   NYR have a couple big ass hitters (Trouba and Rempe)... There really isn't a team left like NSH (thankfully). 

Playing NSH first was a boon in that we stepped into the sort of pressure you might get in a second or third series from a big team.   Give them credit, Brunette is a heck of a coach and their roster supported a suffocating brand of hockey.    Moreso then LA.   

This series is going to come down to not taking penalties, and solid goaltending.   If we can manage that, EDM doesn't have a chance against our pressure, big D, and facing four lines that can burn them at any time.  

Elimination games are tough, you can bet EDM, will get a favourable game management call or two.    Nothing would make me happier than dusting off these guys in five ... except four.    We broke EDM to start the regular season.   We can break them to bits with solid goaltending and disciplined hard nosed hockey, that rolls four lines. 

Win tonight and its in the bag...

expect them to start diving all over the place...

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Swizzey said:

What tight stats don’t reflect is Juulsen’s sheltered ice time and matchups as a young, inexperienced D man in comparison to Cole being a Veteran and 2 time Stanley Cup winner…

Juulsen 14:54

Cole 18:41

Was going to point out that Cole plays top four minutes,  and Juulsen bottom pairing ones against favourable match-ups too.   And teams as well.   Cole had a bad game no doubt.    Juulsen fortunately is our black Ace.   The longer we go, the higher the odds we will need him.   And do agree with @Hammertime, Juulsen's game is well suited for the post season in that he makes everyone pay.    He did enough this year to prove he belongs in this league,  fully expect he likely becomes a regular next season.     

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Win tonight and its in the bag...

expect them to start diving all over the place...

That would be wonderful.    Breaking EDM, and making it to the conference final would be simply awesome.    This team is special.   We can do it.    Demko is training his butt off.    All we need is De-Smith and/or  Silovs to steal one game for us and EDM is toast.  

We are built better.   Balanced.   They are a good team no doubt.   Can't wait to see more of this though: 

IMG_4045.jpeg

He's got a reputation of been a whiny bitch.   Gretzky used to use his influence in game situations, to help his team.   He wasn't a diver, and never acted like this guy.   Always full respect for his opponents and the game.    McDavid brings some shame to superstardom.    

QHs, gets abused, dusts himself off, and NEVER once looked at the refs with pleading beenie boo eyes, or even gave them a sideways glance (NSH, the announcers even brought this up).    EDM has a well deserved rep for whiny'ness, that comes from their leadership group, Draisatl does it too.    We beat them on character.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Reg said:

Back pain can be a bitch, hope he has a long off season in order to recuperate.

I see what you did there. Very good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why do people on CFF or CDC always want to try a defenceman as a forward?

I think because for a long time we've lacked quality in the bottom six, and grit. I think it's looked at as an easy grit solution .

It does happen occasionally, like with Woo in Abby for a few games.

Edited by Bob Long

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Mark Spector compared nurse to pronger and niedermayer? I guess it's good they are still over inflating egos. 

IMG_5920.thumb.jpeg.c61688c4debb401f1fac33cf1f65e9e3.jpeg

Who's the old guy in '07 that got shamed out of a job? 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I don't know if you noticed but Juulson hits like a lot and has better defensive metrics than Cole. 

I like Juls but I want Cole and his experience in right now. Cole will be fine, he got the whole series worth of mistakes out of his system last game. Lol.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1