Zadorov Fined $5000 and Soucy suspended for 1 game for the Ruffling McDavid's Feathers

Just now, Fantomex said:

While I do agree that Soucy should be absolved from some of it, I don't think McDiver is at fault for altering his positioning, as big Z had a say in it. Sadly, I think they will suspend Soucy for at least 1 game. 

Sure, McDavid is at no fault at all and the Zadorov hit I think should be considered on it's own. Regardless of what caused McDavid to move immediately prior to the hit he did suddenly move before Soucy hit him, so I think he should be absolved of most guilt.

Given that he has a hearing, I expect 1-2 games though. I'll just disagree with the ruling.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Posted (edited)

Soucy was going for crosscheck to the chest which is something that wouldn't typically get fined.  

Zads pushed him from behind and he collapsed because he always wants to put on a show but that put him face first into Soucy's stick.

Shouldn't be fined or suspended but Soucy will get 1-2 games because it was McDavid and he has a different rule book.

Terrible reffing in this series.  Sutherland is clearly biased but the rest has just been terrible both ways.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hmm maybe a fair point, but I don't think Soucy's cross check would've been supplemental discipline if it hadn't been onto McDavid's face. It should be similar to the "moved just prior to the headshot" rule whereby a player is absolved of some guilt if the victim moves in such a way just prior to the hit as to place their head in the danger zone.

I hope you're right. But I think the headshot rule comes down to a difference between a legal hit to the body v an illegal (but unintentional) hit to the head: whereas this comes down to the difference between an illegal cross-check to the body v a more seriously illegal cross-check to the head.

And the fact McDavid's the victim undoubtedly plays into it; if it was Kane, the league would be cheering ...

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Sure, McDavid is at no fault at all and the Zadorov hit I think should be considered on it's own. Regardless of what caused McDavid to move immediately prior to the hit he did suddenly move before Soucy hit him, so I think he should be absolved of most guilt.

Given that he has a hearing, I expect 1-2 games though. I'll just disagree with the ruling.

Absolutely agree 100%. Hopefully cooler heads at the DOPS see it the same. 

If the league were smart, which they ain't, they would give McDavid $5000 fine for the slash and then nobody would have anything to complain about.  But, of course, they will do nothing and leave us once again, with good reason, thinking that the deck is stacked against us.

It is such a joke that Ryan got nothing for a play that is very dirty and nobody ever does, but Zadorov gets a fine for a very common play that just happened to be on the leagues poster boy.  What about the Kane slew foots in game 2?  

How can the clowns in the league office keep getting away with this?  Why don't Aquilini and Rutherford do something?

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Soucy can legitimately claim that he had no intention of cross checking McCrybaby in the face

The trouble is that the NHL will say that players must have control of their stick at all times, therefore he will get 1 game

McCrybabys highstick and lack of control over his stick will not even be brought up at the hearing.....too bad!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

More absolute one sided discipline from this fucked up, corrupt league. 

Yeah, I agree about the corrupt leauge, especially the Department of Player Safety.

Without McDavid instigating with a slash, there would have been no undue rough play.

I would have given all the players involved either nothing or for reasons involving the game optics, I would have given all three players (including McDavid who initiated the whole exchange) a 5K fine. Since there is a hearing, it means that Soucy is likely to get a one game suspension. Absolute horseshit.

Remembering a different time when the league overreacted and Aaron Rome got a match penalty and a 4 game suspension. Hope that this isn't the case here.

• Vintage 2

You take that fine all day, every day. The cost of doing business against the Oilers.

This needed to happen. That hit on Kane and then the end of the game sends exactly the message that needs to be sent against these guys.

We had to pay for it ... so be it.

You have to pushback when necessary!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

Take comfort in the Canucks history this year. This year unlike other years when they get screwed by officiating they come out with a real mean side the next game. The coach has done a fantastic job in leading by example and instilling the attitude of screwing on ice is best resolved by destruction on ice and not moping about it infront of the cameras 

I suspect at least a game for saucy and I'll take that over losing big Z ... Every time 

I just hope big z let's mcbaby know that game 4 is being played for revenge for his crying and that he will be "breaking him"

The NHL player safety department is not what it's named and is more the game management front office division ( as compared to the on ice player management system they call refs )

They are what they are are publicly calling them out always ends badly and nothing is going to clean up that wreck with Gary still in charge. Canucks of yesterday would let it fester rent free in their heads and played poorly after such screwings

This version of the Canucks seem to get nasty after such crap and bring that anger to the next game 

juulison should make his game memorable ( nothing illegal ) ... But deliver loud and clear the message that mcjesus is an embarrassment to the game 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

You take that fine all day, every day. The cost of doing business against the Oilers.

This needed to happen. That hit on Kane and then the end of the game sends exactly the message that needs to be sent against these guys.

We had to pay for it ... so be it.

You have to pushback when necessary!

And no one from the Coilers stood up for McDavid ... and with General Zeke & Soucy on the ice, I would have been surprised if anyone did. Still, have to stick up for your star players no matter what - very telling about the Coilers. 

If someone took that kind of shot on Petey or Huggy at the end of the game, you can bet one of JT, Soucy, Cole, Zadorov, Joshua and perhaps even Garland would have laid the lumber to the chicklets in response. 

33 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Overall, Soucy is better defensively than Juulsen, but we have been completely good when Soucy is out of the lineup with Juulsen in in his place. The biggest thing with Juulsen is control. When he plays a simple game and doesn't go looking for hits, just takes them as they come, he's solid. When he goes hit hunting, he takes himself out of position.

He will need to play composed. His one nsh game was a bit tough.

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Again, its not ok for Soucy to miss a game over this, its not ok at all. And if it goes that way I want to see the club advocate for him publicly.

They won't. it's always been the org's MO that they bend over and take it.