White-Only Moms and Tots!?

StrayDog

7 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Hateful racists don't even attempt to hide it anymore. The amount of times "woke" was thrown around in that article is staggering. When did the word woke evolve into 'anyone with any sort of moral compass'?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Yeah,

I posted this earlier in the world events thread.

What a sad thing.

Racism is alive and well.

How dumb and insecure does one have to been to put faith in the idea that your skin makes you special?

If anyone knows any racist, it's time you do your part and distance yourself from them or talk to them about it. We all have been around, or know some types, that say crap things. Long overdue for these types to be no longer part of Canada. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah,

What a sad thing.

How dumb and insecure does one have to been to put faith in the idea that your skin makes you special?

If anyone knows any racist, it's time you do your part and distance yourself from them or talk to them about it. We all have been around, or know some types, that say crap things. Long overdue for these types to be no longer part of Canada. 

Far ahead of you. My uncle, became a blood uncle, many years ago (uncle by blood alone) after making derogatory comments towards Black people in front of my wife over Christmas dinner. Only seen him once since then at Home Depot, but we didn't speak. My old man's informed me that his behaviour as snowballed since Covid and he's become increasingly paranoid and concerned with the far-right agenda. No surprise there.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Hateful racists don't even attempt to hide it anymore. The amount of times "woke" was thrown around in that article is staggering. When did the word woke evolve into 'anyone with any sort of moral compass'?

If you want to keep your brain cells from deteriorating, don’t ever read the MSN comment section.

• Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah,

What a sad thing.

I remember being in a bit of a discussion with someone on the old forum - my contention was that racism was alive and well in Canada, and the counterargument put against me was, "There is no racism in Canada" or "Racism doesn't exist in Canada" or something along those lines.  I lived it throughout my childhood, youth, and young adulthood, and I still live it to this day as a middle-ager (albeit most people don't overtly act racist around me since my late 20s - one of the benefits of being overweight and looking somewhat closet-postal, I guess).  I think the assertion that "Racism doesn't exist in Canada" is just selective hearing/vision/acknowledgement.

It's a human trait to differentiate between "us" and "them"; it's been that way since humans crawled forth from their Homonidae forebearers; it may have even existed before then with our forebearers.  One would hope that humans, with the ability to reason and to rationalize, would be able to outgrow differences, but unfortunately recorded history and current events both demonstrate that it's easier said than done.

• Upvote 2

Canadians are very polite....  so most racism in Canada is the sneaky behind your back racism.   

Yes Canada has problem with racism. 

Things are improving her though but covid showed how dumb and intolerant many canadian are.....   see the Freedumb convoy dumbies ... the anti vaxers who blamed chinese canadians for covid...     Ugly canadians got brave during covid and showed themselves. 

9 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

I think a lot of people have rose-coloured glasses on regarding Canada and racism. They're in denial because they've never actually had these experiences or because "we're better than X country". 

I've also lived it throughout my life - from being called a gook to being told to "speak English; this is Canada!" to being asked "but where are you really from" (after telling them that I was born and raised here in Canada). Racism and xenophobia is very much alive. In fact, the incident of being called a slur happened not even a year ago. 

Don't get me wrong; I'm a proud Canadian, but we can't improve if we sweep these things under the rug and pretend that this stuff doesn't happen. 

Sorry you have gone through shit like that. Do you feel it’s gotten worse since the Covid pandemic? 

Also, I would like your perspective on something. More than a year ago, a south Asian girl at my work said in front of her friends “God, white people are so stupid!” Needless to say

,as a Caucasian, I was very offended and told her she shouldn’t say such racist things. Her response was “I’m brown. I’m not racist.”  I just rolled my eyes. Perhaps I’m ignorant but I do still believe that was racist. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Sorry you have gone through shit like that. Do you feel it’s gotten worse since the Covid pandemic? 

Also, I would like your perspective on something. More than a year ago, a south Asian girl at my work said in front of her friends “God, white people are so stupid!” Needless to say

,as a Caucasian, I was very offended and told her she shouldn’t say such racist things. Her response was “I’m brown. I’m not racist.”  I just rolled my eyes. Perhaps I’m ignorant but I do still believe that was racist. 

Racism exists in all countries - all ethnicities.     Go to Japan .....

7 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I don't feel like it's gotten worse since the pandemic per se. But I think that, in general, people have become more brazen and blatant with the racism/xenophobia; whereas, before, it was more so microagressions. 

I think a lot of POC think they have some kind of "get out of jail free card" for saying racist crap. Yes, POC can be racists, too. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

I don't feel like it's gotten worse since the pandemic per se. But I think that, in general, people have become more brazen and blatant with the racism/xenophobia; whereas, before, it was more so microagressions. 

I think a lot of POC think they have some kind of "get out of jail free card" for saying racist crap. Yes, POC can be racists, too. 

I appreciate your perspective. Thanks!

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I guess you could argue that girl was being prejudice rather than racist, but that's splitting hairs really.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Before clicking on that link, I was expecting this to be about a daycare in a hick state like West Virginia. Wow. 

I honestly believe that some of what we're seeing in the US is making it ok for closet racists here to fly their flags. Not that they're creating what we have here, just that they're helping to expose it.

It feels like we're going in the wrong direction with some of this crap seeping through the cracks. Calling clean up in the tri-cities. 

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

I saw that and commented elsewhere.

As a parent, our job isn't to place our children in a little box where everything looks "the same". It's to let them experience life, to expand their worlds and have open hearts and minds. Besides....kids only see other kids as just that and it's the parents who don't recognize that they ARE all the same. Children. How very limiting, as well as prejudice/racist/stupid.

I feel they're doing their children a great disservice by implanting their narrow racist ideas into their world and influencing them this way. It's quite disturbing to me that parents are so blind that they only "see" differences" and can't see the opportunity to learn and to love in this world. To unite with others rather than put up walls.

These parents are stripping away the beautiful innocence and ability to connect with others that children instinctually have. It's so sad that our world has "parents" who hurt their kids more than help them.

I'm so happy to have grown up as a child without ever knowing their were "differences" in us that were based on race...our group of kids was awesome and the parents never put up barriers to us joining forces. We didn't even know we were "different" because, really, we weren't.

Communities are made stronger that way. United rather than divided. 

Judge people on how they treat others, that's how I do it. And I'm even working on that because sometimes people's action are because they're hurting and not unworthy of love.

Fear filled parents do it wrong. Obnoxious, fear filled parents are even worse.

I also grew up not knowing about differences, in regards to race. I just had friends who I had things in common with and people I didn’t like because they were jerks.

Unfortunately, I had to learn this on my own as my parents were pretty racist. Thanks to who I would hang out, who were only good people, that racism has lessened on their part, but it’s still not good.

• Huggy Bear 1

Is being white...just looking white?

My wife is German/Iranian...

She gets told she is white, she takes after her mom.

Her sister is dark, takes after dad. She used to get called 'paki' in grade school.

BTW, that is still the go-to for racists referring to people from that side of the world... A guy on a work site, that I nearly seperated from consciousness, said something about not caring about Paki's when Iran was having the headgear uprising. I think the only thing that slowed me down, before another worker got in my way, was me yelling at him about Pakisan being a different F'ing country than Iran! along with some comments on his intelligence. 

So, is there a doorman at this white-tots-athon that checks if you are 'white' enough? Whats the bar? specific countries? a paint shade sampler like was used on Peter Griffin?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2