Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Unfortunately the proof is in the pudding, speaking to a recruiting company recently they told me these fully remote positions are far and in between at the moment and are in a fast decline compared to even 6 months ago as more employers continue to push the return to an office environment.    

Interpreting recent productivity performance in Canada

Canada's losing productivity streak adds to inflation problem | Reuters

All Govt employees are monitored for their production.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Unfortunately the proof is in the pudding, speaking to a recruiting company recently they told me these fully remote positions are far and in between at the moment and are in a fast decline compared to even 6 months ago as more employers continue to push the return to an office environment.    

Interpreting recent productivity performance in Canada

Canada's losing productivity streak adds to inflation problem | Reuters

Forgot to add

One report I heard said they are just now looking into the possibility that during the peak of wfh stats showed an increase and now during the big push back to the office it's dropping ( is this because people forced back to the office are either slowing down or working to rule ?)

I know a few hybrid wfh people ( 3 days office and ,2 wfh )

Their productivity went up when everyone was 100% wfh and now with 75% back in office time it's fallen hard.  Staff reported that when wfh they often used what you was once their normal.commute times as work time so unpaid worked 1 he plus more each day.

They keep the same times now but with commuter time involved that eliminated the free unpaid work their employees had been doing 

At his site they are looking to increase wfh levels for people with long commutes as a way of balancing it

• Cheers 1

Business groups walk back claim on share of Canadians hit by capital gains changes

OTTAWA — Prominent business groups have backtracked their claim that one in five Canadians would be affected by the federal government's proposed changes to capital gains taxation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Forgot to add

One report I heard said they are just now looking into the possibility that during the peak of wfh stats showed an increase and now during the big push back to the office it's dropping ( is this because people forced back to the office are either slowing down or working to rule ?)

Their productivity went up when everyone was 100% wfh and now with 75% back in office time it's fallen hard.  Staff reported that when wfh they often used what you was once their normal.commute times as work time so unpaid worked 1 he plus more each day.

They keep the same times now but with commuter time involved that eliminated the free unpaid work their employees had been doing 

At his site they are looking to increase wfh levels for people with long commutes as a way of balancing it

My son works 3 days in office 2 at home.  Sometimes the office is so noisy he can't get work done.

The CRA might be in trouble with all their latest decisions.

With all the new changes that is coming to the CRA call center (new business hours, the termination of thousands of employees and RTO), the CRA will inevitably be in trouble. Today, half of my team left the CRA in Montreal for multiple reasons and we’ve heard the same in other teams. I get that tax season is over but my team wasn’t even a bunch of new hires. Nobody wanted to work the new business from 3-11 or even 1 to 9 so they all left. They said that they want us to keep the same level of service for the taxpayers but it will be impossible with everyone leaving

4 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Forgot to add

In my personal experience the biggest thing is people would work remote miss out on training and mentorship opportunities. The new employees in office improve at a much faster pace while the fully remote workers remain fairly stagnant in their improvement, but depends how high up a position it is.  

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Umm if there are 15 years running around without parents, we have a bigger problem than a abortion clinic being 1 hour away... "Ffs"

Also not having parents means you now can't get a ride to the clinic? Give me a break 

You clearly have no idea then. Maybe talk to a social worker or google it before you form an opinion. There are countless situations where abortion will not be available for the most vulnerable of our citizens.  Regardless, until the majority of the medical community state that abortion should be banned it really doesn't matter. Politicians should not be making medical decisions for the rest of us. 

Surprising Working From Home Productivity Statistics

https://www.apollotechnical.com/working-from-home-productivity-statistics/

Workers Are Less Productive Working Remotely (At Least That’s What Their Bosses Think)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/glebtsipursky/2022/11/03/workers-are-less-productive-working-remotely-at-least-thats-what-their-bosses-think/?sh=58e433ad286a

56 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Business groups walk back claim on share of Canadians hit by capital gains changes

OTTAWA — Prominent business groups have backtracked their claim that one in five Canadians would be affected by the federal government's proposed changes to capital gains taxation.

yeah this is a huge difference. 1 in 5 people over a ten year period was the original claim... 20% would be captured by the increase over 10 years...safe to assume roughly 2% a year then...

...and NOW they walk that very small annual number back to an even smaller un-specified number, likely in the 0.1% range as I tried to point out when this particular argument was raging here at the time of the increase. Frankly, if you are in the 0.1% of Canadians who will be captured by this new capital gains tax 'bracket' then congrats, You are already filthy stinking rich and won't miss the 180 thousand it will cost you on your 3.5million dollar sale. What a joke all the poorish people (relative to a person making 3.5milliion in a given year in capital gains) supporting Pierre Poilievre over this schooled and well acted outrage are. "i might sell something one day for 3.5 million, and by god when I do, i am dead against another 180k in taxes...." says every Rage Farmer believer in Canada. Good luck with that unless of course you are in the 0.1% bracket, in which case, congrats, you are good, you won life. Take er easy and relax.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I see 2 persons laughing but it is true.  Their computers are monitored.

They likely are. And it's like, so what. If you have a job to do then you should be doing it and if there isn't enough work presently then you are free to 'not work'; you're not obligated to go above and beyond your job responsibilities in your contract which you both agreed to. Most people upset about this are those who don't get afforded the privilege to WAH, or are business owners.

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In my personal experience the biggest thing is people would work remote miss out on training and mentorship opportunities. The new employees in office improve at a much faster pace while the fully remote workers remain fairly stagnant in their improvement, but depends how high up a position it is.  

Ya my neighbor has a job that although they wfh 2 to 3 days per week any employee newly hired is not eligible in the first year to wfh. Also they must work at the office a minimum of 2 days per week every week 

His department all have the same 2 days ( Tuesday and Wednesday) that work in the office is manditory so that they can plan the In person work and training with consistency

He's happy with Monday and Friday wfh as it's a 4 day no commute break each week

So to clarify

In three pages we've gone from

"Conservatives won't ban or touch abortion laws"

To

"Well ok so they might provincially but then kids can just drive to another province"

Interesting 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

So to clarify

To

"Well ok so they might provincially but then kids can just drive to another province"

Interesting 

They follow the US like puppies.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Anyone who thinks for a second that if the abortion issue was brought up in front of a Pierre lead conservative majority as PM, would not be put to a vote

Is deluded 

Look at almost every single major vote the Conservatives have had federally since 2005.

They've almost universally to an MP voted along party lines just like the US.

People need to seriously be paying attention to what's going on here and what this means for the PM hopeful who was such a strong anti abortionist for his first decade in office while enjoying support and funding from the two largest pro life groups in Canada.

It's genuinely scary because with 8 of our provinces being Conservative and a potential conservative majority in the horizon, better believe that this issue/debate will be brought up.

Parents rights 

Provincial rights

Trudeau starved you

That's all he has. 

• ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But

kIdS cAn gEt RidEs tO AnOtHeR pRoViNcE

Except of the 8 conservative provinces 6 have now tables legislation that restricts access to education and contraceptives for women/minors in either part or whole 

It's insane.  I agree that maybe a Conservative government can do some good if they shut out the social crap and get to work on what matters.

But the issue is I've seen nothing that suggests this is in their party platform.

Even more so, look at and read the BC Conservative party platform.  It's an utter nightmare that includes restricting "ideological teachings" by reducing budgets of districts that teach such things, but also suggests they'd actually increase funding to religious schools/centres and private schools.

We need a small c option because this group has jumped the fucking shark 

8 provinces, for now.

I don't know if it will ever really be a thing, but I like a lot of what the centre ice/Canadian future folks are talking about.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

8 provinces, for now.

I don't know if it will ever really be a thing, but I like a lot of what the centre ice/Canadian future folks are talking about.

I've been sort of following them and I do like what they're preaching/saying as it makes a ton of sense for the moderates.

But we've been a two party nation since inception.  NO other party has ever held power and the NDP have barely broken the Blocs seat record with their best showing ever under Layton.

It will be 10-20 years before they gain any level of traction unless they can splinter the largest most visible names from the "conservative brand" to give themselves some credibility

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I've been sort of following them and I do like what they're preaching/saying as it makes a ton of sense for the moderates.

But we've been a two party nation since inception.  NO other party has ever held power and the NDP have barely broken the Blocs seat record with their best showing ever under Layton.

It will be 10-20 years before they gain any level of traction unless they can splinter the largest most visible names from the "conservative brand" to give themselves some credibility

I think there is some chance a middle party could become a major player. Imagine an actual middle platform with say 40 seats, could do a lot of good.

12 hours ago, Sapper said:

Ya my neighbor has a job that although they wfh 2 to 3 days per week any employee newly hired is not eligible in the first year to wfh. Also they must work at the office a minimum of 2 days per week every week 

His department all have the same 2 days ( Tuesday and Wednesday) that work in the office is manditory so that they can plan the In person work and training with consistency

He's happy with Monday and Friday wfh as it's a 4 day no commute break each week

Yeah I'm less against 50% hybrid as straight wfh, learning is a continuous thing and having someone there physically not just for scheduled training but everyday learning is a big advantage. For example in my experience I am a lot more willing to get a employee to do something they have never done before if I am nearby and can provide oversight/assistance while I am generally less inclined to ask someone working remote as the communication time is a lot higher and more likely to be given an end product that is done incorrectly.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So to clarify

To

Interesting 

They are different elections one is federal and one is provincal. You have a say in both, and also a say in what province you live in. The province that did have a ban was PEI and its barely a province. Abortion is one of the first things brought up in a federal election and I'm just not sure why as the chance of Canada on a federal level banning abortions is 0%. Just seems weird as there are so many real issues facing Canada at the moment as a whole, and most are expected to get much worse. You would think ensuring Canadians have the most basic needs covered like being able to afford food and shelter would be part of the discussion.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel