Mass Shootings/Guns Thread

Sharpshooter

7 hours ago, Rubik said:

lol, you are not wasting any time with this topic

There’s literally a mass shooting that probably happened yesterday or today. 

It’s not the controversy that’s most important for me. 

It’s the reminder that this could happen here in Canada if we relax our gun ruleS too. 

The NRA are trying to make inroads here for the longest time. 

The Conservative minded politicians have been trying to help them. 

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

There’s literally a mass shooting that probably happened yesterday or today. 

It’s not the controversy that’s most important for me. 

It’s the reminder that this could happen here in Canada if we relax our gun ruleS too. 

The NRA are trying to make inroads here for the longest time. 

The Conservative minded politicians have been trying to help them. 

off topic: wait, did you just get promoted to be a moderator while CDC moved?

No deaths, but 5 injured

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/woman-shoots-5-people-at-country-star-s-denver-bar-after-security-refuses-to-let-her-in/ar-AA1h7qRO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=15cda2bcde2a4abf9daaa9c0d97f3dc4&ei=9#image=1

Authorities in Denver are currently on the lookout for a female shooter responsible for injuring five innocent bystanders in an incident that unfolded outside the Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row bar and restaurant.

Knewz.com has learned that the incident occurred late Saturday, September 16, in the Lower Downtown neighborhood, when the suspect, who was queuing to enter the establishment owned by the country music star Dierks Bentley, was stopped by security personnel

They suspected that she might not have been using her own identification.

According to the Denver Police Department, preliminary information indicates that the female suspect was denied entry to a bar on Market Street and, upon being turned away, engaged in a conversation with the security staff.

As she walked away a second time, she produced a firearm and discharged it multiple times in the direction of the club, injuring five individuals.

Police have clarified that the five victims were not the intended targets of the shooting, and all of them sustained non-life-threatening injuries and are expected to recover.

Armando Saldate, the executive director of Denver Public Safety, told Fox News that a verbal altercation or confrontation appeared to precede the shooting, during which the suspect drew a concealed handgun and opened fire.

The Denver Police Department has released images of the woman holding a firearm as part of their efforts to locate her.

Madison Sharnowski, an eyewitness to the incident, described the shooting as unfolding rapidly, with several gunshots fired.

She emphasized the instinctual "flight or fight" response that people experienced in the moment. Sharnowski recalled her concern for the victims, some of whom were near her when the shooting occurred.

Reflecting on the traumatic experience, Sharnowski expressed hope that finding the suspect would bring comfort to those affected by the incident and noted the ongoing concern about criminal activity in the Lower Downtown area.

A spokesperson for Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row conveyed their concern about the ongoing criminal activity in LoDo (Lower Downtown) and mentioned their engagement with city officials and neighborhood leaders to make positive improvements in the area.

In an effort to locate the suspect, the police are offering a reward of $2,000 for information that leads to her arrest.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

No deaths, but 5 injured

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/woman-shoots-5-people-at-country-star-s-denver-bar-after-security-refuses-to-let-her-in/ar-AA1h7qRO?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=15cda2bcde2a4abf9daaa9c0d97f3dc4&ei=9#image=1

Authorities in Denver are currently on the lookout for a female shooter responsible for injuring five innocent bystanders in an incident that unfolded outside the Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row bar and restaurant.

Knewz.com has learned that the incident occurred late Saturday, September 16, in the Lower Downtown neighborhood, when the suspect, who was queuing to enter the establishment owned by the country music star Dierks Bentley, was stopped by security personnel

They suspected that she might not have been using her own identification.

According to the Denver Police Department, preliminary information indicates that the female suspect was denied entry to a bar on Market Street and, upon being turned away, engaged in a conversation with the security staff.

As she walked away a second time, she produced a firearm and discharged it multiple times in the direction of the club, injuring five individuals.

Police have clarified that the five victims were not the intended targets of the shooting, and all of them sustained non-life-threatening injuries and are expected to recover.

Armando Saldate, the executive director of Denver Public Safety, told Fox News that a verbal altercation or confrontation appeared to precede the shooting, during which the suspect drew a concealed handgun and opened fire.

The Denver Police Department has released images of the woman holding a firearm as part of their efforts to locate her.

Madison Sharnowski, an eyewitness to the incident, described the shooting as unfolding rapidly, with several gunshots fired.

She emphasized the instinctual "flight or fight" response that people experienced in the moment. Sharnowski recalled her concern for the victims, some of whom were near her when the shooting occurred.

Reflecting on the traumatic experience, Sharnowski expressed hope that finding the suspect would bring comfort to those affected by the incident and noted the ongoing concern about criminal activity in the Lower Downtown area.

A spokesperson for Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row conveyed their concern about the ongoing criminal activity in LoDo (Lower Downtown) and mentioned their engagement with city officials and neighborhood leaders to make positive improvements in the area.

In an effort to locate the suspect, the police are offering a reward of $2,000 for information that leads to her arrest.

Anyone know where Boebert was when this went down?

• Sharpshooter changed the title to Mass Shootings/Gun Thread
  • Sharpshooter changed the title to Mass Shootings/Guns Thread

Pranks and guns

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/delivery-driver-who-shot-youtuber-on-camera-acquitted-of-main-charge/ar-AA1htiUf?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=dd58b1b3b6b14d67b6af605c0e28b19b&ei=27#image=1

A delivery driver 

who shot a YouTube prankster on camera has been acquitted of the main charge against him.

A Virginia jury found DoorDash driver Alan Colie not guilty of aggravated malicious wounding in the shooting of Tanner Cook, who runs the "Classified Goons"YouTube channel, Knewz.com has learned.

The verdict was delivered on Thursday, September 28. Knewz.com reported on the story in April.

Colie claimed he was acting in self-defense, and the jury agreed with him. But Colie was convicted of a lesser gun charge and remains in jail.

In the leadup to the April 2 shooting, Cook and a friend played a phrase from a cellphone that repeatedly said “Hey dips----, quit thinking about my twinkle” multiple times on their phone while holding the device close to Colie’s face and filming him to catch his reaction.

At first, Colie ignored the prankster before telling him to “stop” three times. Colie attempted to knock the phone away from Cook’s face before producing a gun and shooting Cook in the abdomen.

In the case's closing arguments, Colie’s attorney told the jurors that his client was fearful and felt threatened and fired his weapon in self-defense.

Cook “is making money by causing fear” in those he targets, defense attorney Adam Pouilliard argued during trial. “We know these pranks are designed to generate confusion and frustration. And they do just that.”

Despite the jury accepting this defense, they still found Colie guilty of unlawful discharge of a firearm in a public building.

When asked by a WRC-TV NBC4 Washingtonreporter if he was disappointed by the verdict, Cook told the reporter he will continue to make videos and “it is what it is.” When asked if he’s hopeful the guilty charge is effective, he said “I really don’t care.”

The shooting took place on April 2 in Dulles Town Center, west of Washington, D.C., and led to panic among shoppers that a mass shooting taking place.

The confrontation between Cook and Colie lasted less than 30 seconds as the 6-foot-5-inch-tall YouTuber loomed over the driver who had just picked up a food order.

Cook testified that his goal making prank videos is to confuse his targets for the amusement of an online audience, and said he doesn’t seek to make anyone fearful or angry.

Cook’s YouTube channel is filled with pranks, including following customers in department stores, and pretending to vomit on Uber drivers.

“They were playing a silly phrase on a phone,” prosecutor Eden Holmes said to the jury. “How could the defendant have found that he was reasonably in fear of imminent bodily harm?"

“They were holding cellphones, not weapons,” she said.

The Associated Press reports that due to the large amounts of publicity this case received, the jury selection took an entire day and that at least one of the prospective jurors had actually been a victim in one of Cook’s videos.

Cook still makes prank videos, claiming he earns between $2,000 to $3,000 per month, and has reportedly increased his subscriber base from 39,000 to more than 55,000 since the shooting occurred.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAFO.

seems strange to convict someone for illegal use of a firearm, but also find he used the gun in self defence.

I'll guess that the fire arm use charge gets overturned on appeal.

The part that gets me though "“They were holding cellphones, not weapons,” she said."

How many times has this prosecutor, or any for that matter,  glossed over the mistake of a cell phone for a gun, after a cop kills a phone holder?

"Police thought he had a gun, and feared for their lives. Unfortunately it turned out to be a cell phone".

oh well.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/02/us/amethyst-silva-us-gun-deaths-gdpr/index.html

Most tweens might brush off holding their parents’ hands as baby stuff. Not Amethyst Sistine Silva.

The affectionate, hug-loving girl from Corpus Christi, Texas, known to everyone in her life as “Ame,” hadn’t yet aged out of clasping her mother’s palms between her 11-year-old fingers.

“We would walk throughout the mall and she’d hold my hand as if she were 2, 3 years old,” Amethyst’s mother, Melinda Cruz, told CNN. “She’d say, ‘No, don’t let go of my hand.’”

On January 1, 2023, everything changed.

The family chose to ring in the new year near their home to be safe. “We were out there just to make memories,” Robert Silva, Amethyst’s father, told CNN.

What instead unfolded is a nightmare Silva says often replays in his mind.

“I wasn’t prepared for this,” he said.

That night, Amethyst, a sibling to six older brothers and sisters, was standing outside her family’s apartment near the street when she was shot by what police said was celebratory gunfire.

“I heard the building get hit with bullets, and the last one hit Amethyst and she just said, ‘ouch,’ then she fell to the ground,” Silva recounted.

“Right at midnight, Amethyst was probably the first child to go in 2023,” he said.

Amethyst’s parents were told she died some time after they got her to a hospital, they said.

Seeking justice for Amethyst

Two men were arrested on charges of deadly conduct for discharging a firearm in connection with her death, according to the Corpus Christi Police Department.

Imagine celebrating New Year's by randomly shooting firearms in a residential area....:picard:

More in the link.

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/three-dead-after-gunman-rampaged-through-shopping-centre-and-boy-14-arrested/ar-AA1hCDfe?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=e1191d089212404fb644ea539d91acd2&ei=7#image=1

"

A14-year-old boy was arrested after a gun rampage at a luxury mall in Thailand left three people dead and several others wounded.

Chaos erupted inside Bangkok’s Siam Paragon mall when the sound of gunshots sent hundreds of shoppers running for the exits, while others barricaded themselves in stores and restaurants.

Emergency services shared an image of a police officer apprehending and handcuffing an individual lying face down on the ground and another of an officer retrieving a handgun from the floor.

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin expressed concern over the incident, writing on X: ‘I am aware of the shooting event at Siam Paragon … I am most worried about public safety.’

Authorities closed the nearby train station just as rush hour began, preventing scores of commuters heading into the centre to escape the intense rainfall outside.

Siam Paragon is Thailand’s most famous mall, drawing large numbers of people – locals and tourists alike – with its high-end stores, aquarium, movie theatre and hugely popular food court dining.

In 2013, it was named the world’s most photographed place by Instagram.

One shopper, 26-year-old Shir Yahav from Israel, said: ‘It happened in just a few minutes. We saw all the people run, run, run, we didn’t understand what was happening.

We went with them and then we heard several shots, like six or seven shots. We blocked the door of the store.’

Susinee, a 35-year-old restaurant worker, said she and her colleagues bolted out of their Japanese ramen outlet when they heard gunshots.

‘We just ran out,’ she said, standing with half a dozen of her colleagues.

The mall said it had evacuated shoppers and staff immediately, stressing safety was of the utmost importance.

‘Siam Paragon would like to express our deep apologies for the unexpected event,’ it said in a statement.

‘Authorities have been able to control the situation and arrest the culprit.’

Gun violence is not uncommon in Thailand, though mass shootings are rare.

This incident comes days before the country planned to mark the anniversary of a grisly gun and knife attack at a rural day care centre that killed 36 people, most of them preschoolers, on October 6, 2022.

In 2020, a disgruntled soldier opened fire in and around a mall in the northeastern city of Nakhon Ratchasima, killing 29 people and holding off security forces for some 16 hours before eventually being killed by them.

AA1hCRvx.img?w=534&h=280&m=6&f=webp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AA1hD6BG.img?w=534&h=300&m=6&x=457&y=352

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Not a mass shooting.   Just a crazy incident. 

https://www.klkntv.com/man-accidentally-shot-child-while-officiating-wedding-near-lincoln-deputy-says/

Man accidentally shot child while officiating wedding near Lincoln, deputy says

"To get people's attention"...... :picard:

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I just realized the title of this thread is mass shootings/ guns thread. Why not Just have a mass shootings/ anti-gun title. I mean I doubt anybody's talking about hunting or going to the gun range lol

Don't worry.  There are people who are pro gun control AND they hunt AND sometimes go to the range.  I love going to the ranges in Vegas when I go there.  Shot a few WW2 era German guns last time I was there.  The MP40 was one.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Don't worry.  There are people who are pro gun control AND they hunt AND sometimes go to the range.  I love going to the ranges in Vegas when I go there.  Shot a few WW2 era German guns last time I was there.  The MP40 was one.

Oh I fully understand there is. It's just the title of the thread is mass shooting/ gun thread. That's pretty much speaking for itself, that title.