[Speculation] Calgary Planning To Send Dustin Wolf To AHL

Calgary Planning To Send Dustin Wolf To AHL

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli spoke with Calgary Flames general manager Craig Conroy, who shared that the team’s current plan is tosend Dustin Wolf to the minors. Conroy told Seravalli, “There’s injuries for other teams and you’re always looking at all your options … I’m not going to rush to do anything.”

Wolf has emerged as one of the best goalie prospects throughout the NHL, and maybe one of the best players in the AHL, over the last two seasons. The netminder won the AHL’s Baz Bastien Memorial Award in each of the last two seasons, recording a .924 save percentage in 2021-22 and a .932 last year. With this win, Wolf became the third goalie to win the award twice and the first to win it in back-to-back years. His 42-10-2 record last season also earned him MVP honors, winning the AHL’s Les Cunningham Award. Wolf became the eighth goaltender to win the award and the youngest player to win it since Jason Spezza.

Those are seriously impressive resume pieces for the 22-year-old. But because of his age, Wolf is the only goaltender at Calgary’s camp that’s exempt from waivers. This makes him easier to send down than Daniel Vladar, his competition for the NHL backup role. Vladar appeared in 27 games last season, recording a .895 save percentage, slightly higher than the .892 that starter Jacob Markstrom recorded through 59 games.

Wolf made one appearance – his NHL debut – for the Flames last season, letting in one goal on 24 shots and recording the win. Conroy referenced injuries when speaking about Wolf and that’s likely what it will take for the young netminder to earn a consistent NHL role. But when Wolf takes the Flames net, the reigning ‘AHL Goalie of the Year’ will absolutely be a name to watch.

September 28th, 2023 at 7:24pm CST • By Gabriel Foley

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/calgary-planning-to-send-dustin-wolf-to-ahl.html#ref=home

54 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Calgary Planning To Send Dustin Wolf To AHL

Daily Faceoff’s Frank Seravalli spoke with Calgary Flames general manager Craig Conroy, who shared that the team’s current plan is tosend Dustin Wolf to the minors. Conroy told Seravalli, “There’s injuries for other teams and you’re always looking at all your options … I’m not going to rush to do anything.”

Wolf has emerged as one of the best goalie prospects throughout the NHL, and maybe one of the best players in the AHL, over the last two seasons. The netminder won the AHL’s Baz Bastien Memorial Award in each of the last two seasons, recording a .924 save percentage in 2021-22 and a .932 last year. With this win, Wolf became the third goalie to win the award twice and the first to win it in back-to-back years. His 42-10-2 record last season also earned him MVP honors, winning the AHL’s Les Cunningham Award. Wolf became the eighth goaltender to win the award and the youngest player to win it since Jason Spezza.

Those are seriously impressive resume pieces for the 22-year-old. But because of his age, Wolf is the only goaltender at Calgary’s camp that’s exempt from waivers. This makes him easier to send down than Daniel Vladar, his competition for the NHL backup role. Vladar appeared in 27 games last season, recording a .895 save percentage, slightly higher than the .892 that starter Jacob Markstrom recorded through 59 games.

Wolf made one appearance – his NHL debut – for the Flames last season, letting in one goal on 24 shots and recording the win. Conroy referenced injuries when speaking about Wolf and that’s likely what it will take for the young netminder to earn a consistent NHL role. But when Wolf takes the Flames net, the reigning ‘AHL Goalie of the Year’ will absolutely be a name to watch.

September 28th, 2023 at 7:24pm CST • By Gabriel Foley

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/09/calgary-planning-to-send-dustin-wolf-to-ahl.html#ref=home

Bad news for Abby

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

6ft 156lbs …. Is it just me or is that super tiny for a goalie? Amazing numbers throughout his career so far none the less sad to see a kid primed and ready get buried in the ahl 

Second coming of Johnny Quick? Let’s hope not.

I’m also surprised by his size and numbers. I haven’t ever really looked into him, but this seems like the kind of thing that would be talked about by broadcasters/analysts every chance they got. Perhaps it’s just our distance from the Calgary market and the fact he hasn’t gotten enough NHL looks yet, but this seems like one of those odd stats that people hang onto.

my bet: he’ll be the next 18 year old Sam Bennett in no time!

• Cheers 1

Just now, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m also surprised by his size and numbers. I haven’t ever really looked into him, but this seems like the kind of thing that would be talked about by broadcasters/analysts every chance they got. Perhaps it’s just our distance from the Calgary market and the fact he hasn’t gotten enough NHL looks yet, but this seems like one of those odd stats that people hang onto.

He was dominant in the AHL last year.

3 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Dominant the last two years by all accounts. All numbers before that look incredible too. They’re lucky to have him and it’s good news for us that Calgary can’t fit him in just yet; bad news for our boys in Abby

Unfortunately for us, he was lights out in the playoffs last season.  Abby played well, but he was almost unbeatable

• Cheers 2

Not sure what he stands to gain in the AHL. Last two seasons were stunning. I don't think he's had a bad year of hockey yet. Sub 2 GAA in the WHL in his final 3 seasons there. Before 2 great AHL seasons. Yeah, I just don't see any value in the AHL for him anymore. They really can't make any trade with Vladar work?

17 hours ago, Captain insano said:

6ft 156lbs …. Is it just me or is that super tiny for a goalie? Amazing numbers throughout his career so far none the less sad to see a kid primed and ready get buried in the ahl 

Juuse Saros is 5'11 180lbs, one of the best in the game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Just what we are used to with drance jpatt and price, they will find or twist every single thing they can Into negative coverage, I would love new media in Vancouver but keep faber and quads those 2 are gems 

19 hours ago, Captain insano said:

I don’t think DeSmith is all that big either, is he?