[Waivers] October 1st, 2023

One particular name that interests me is Steven Santini from LA. 

Ive followed him since he was with NJ and when he played fpr Utica when we shared afiliation with St Louis. 

He is a smooth skating and hard hitting dman, kinda like Alex Biega. Nothing flashy but I much prefer his game over Noah Juulsen as his skating amd decision making is much more refined. He would make a perfect 7-8 dman to upgrade the depth

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I like what I've seen from McWard, a little surprised he beat out Irwin. But good for him.

6 minutes ago, TopCheese said:

Irwin is a suprise looks like mcward might of won a job 

They're not really directly competing. Irwin was competing with the likes od Brisebois/Hirose for 4LD. McWard is basically seeing if he's ready enough to have Hughes carry him while allowing us to play Soucy on his strong side on 3rd pair with Myers or not. If not, he's almost certainly headed to Abby as well. IMO he's like a place holder there until someone better comes along on waivers/available for trade, and/or Bear is healthy.

Irwin was in no way competing to play beside Hughes.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Lots of good players on waivers today. I'm betting all our guys make it through though. Very interesting to see Irwin on waivers though. If he's not our no. 7, then I assume we'll be having some younger guys as regular healthy scratches.

Message sent to the fringe players today for sure. 

I thought this was gonna be Woo's year - but maybe he just doesn't have the head for NHL hockey ( judging on the opening bloodbath performance ) 

Somone might take a punt on him or Rathbone for sure yeah, i doubt its a big loss tho - honestly don't see them having NHL careers at this point, which is sad as i had all the hopes in the world for them at points over the past few years. 

Phil Myers on there again, a lot of people wanted us to trade for him at one point.

Surprised we've made the decisions so soon, and very surprised to see McWard stick with the team over the likes of Hirose and Irwin. Rathbone and Podkolzin didn't get a heck of a chance but didn't impress anyone either.

Personally I'd stick Cole with Hughes and Soucy with Hronek and then leave someone like Irwin or Hirose or Wolanin on the bottom pairing with Myers but McWard on the top pairing is a big-balls move. It looks like we're going to play more of a puck-moving top pairing and a very heavy shutdown bottom-4 so I think match-ups are going to be key. Hughes and McWard together is a bit scary against the likes of McDavid but I guess we're just going to hope that we control the puck for most of those shifts and if we're the home team, get Cole and Hronek out there any chance they get. Interesting tactic and system but let's see how it goes. 

If I'm a bottom feeder team I snap up Hirose though easily. Irwin is an older guy who may as well have been on a PTO but Hirose is a decent NHLer if not this year then next season onwards.

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Phil Myers on there again, a lot of people wanted us to trade for him at one point.

Surprised we've made the decisions so soon, and very surprised to see McWard stick with the team over the likes of Hirose and Irwin. Rathbone and Podkolzin didn't get a heck of a chance but didn't impress anyone either.

Personally I'd stick Cole with Hughes and Soucy with Hronek and then leave someone like Irwin or Hirose or Wolanin on the bottom pairing with Myers but McWard on the top pairing is a big-balls move. It looks like we're going to play more of a puck-moving top pairing and a very heavy shutdown bottom-4 so I think match-ups are going to be key. Hughes and McWard together is a bit scary against the likes of McDavid but I guess we're just going to hope that we control the puck for most of those shifts and if we're the home team, get Cole and Hronek out there any chance they get. Interesting tactic and system but let's see how it goes. 

If I'm a bottom feeder team I snap up Hirose though easily. Irwin is an older guy who may as well have been on a PTO but Hirose is a decent NHLer if not this year then next season onwards.

I thought Hirose was exempt from waivers still. 

• Cheers 2