[Waivers] October 1st, 2023

The only thing I see possible is Philippe Myers. RHD, Cole knows a bit of him from Tampa, and having Foote and Gonchar on the coaching staff might be the thing that makes it feel like we could turn him around. He's been described as a baby giraffe in Philly, so he'd be a bit redundant with our own chaos giraffe named Meyers already. But if we knew we could move our Meyers, it's a claim I would look at.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, KesLord said:

Really too bad that none of our younger players (Raty, Podkolzin, Karlsson, McDonaugh, Rathbone) took a big leap forward this summer to try for a roster spot. They're the ones we need to become better if we have any chance of becoming a legit contender. 

We added Suter and Blueger so there really wasn’t any room for Raty. He needs to play an entire year in Abby before he can have a chance at the big club. 

Podkolzin is definitely a disappointment. Rathbone has been a disappointment for awhile. Kid just can’t play defence. McDonough is still relatively new. He needs a full year in Abby as well. 

I like Karlsson. He could make a push for a 4th line role at some point this year.  But we need more sandpaper on the 4th line so not sure he’s going to be a fit for us. 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

That would be amazing, but he gets projected as a 3rd pair D in the NHL, any new developments with him?

He’s going to be the next Edler. Book it. Will partner Hronek on the 2nd pairing once he arrives. 

He’s 6’3” and 200 pounds right now. Will fill out to 215 pounds similar to Edler. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Would be fine if a team like San Jose takes Rathbone TBH, he was too far buried in the depth chart he would never have gotten a spot here esp. not on the PP.  They have who, Thrun?  There's really no other viable PP QB's on that team.  Hopefully Woo gets through though, he had a solid rebound season.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We added Suter and Blueger so there really wasn’t any room for Raty. He needs to play an entire year in Abby before he can have a chance at the big club. 

Podkolzin is definitely a disappointment. Rathbone has been a disappointment for awhile. Kid just can’t play defence. McDonough is still relatively new. He needs a full year in Abby as well. 

I like Karlsson. He could make a push for a 4th line role at some point this year.  But we need more sandpaper on the 4th line so not sure he’s going to be a fit for us. 

Suter/Blueger both on 1/2 year deals. Pretty much placeholders/stop gaps for any young C to step up in that period. 

The hope for Pod is top 9 FWD now. I think top 6/star calibre is out of the question. He has the tools. Top 9 guys take time to develop as well. 

Rathbone is AHLer at this point of time. Other D are passing him. McDonough needs some AHL time but he's also turning 24 in November. His window to prove himself is shorter than other forwards

Karlsson needs to get a step faster. He's smart in both ends and goes to the tough areas, and is good on the forecheck. If he puts it together he could be a top 9 guy. Same boat as McDonough with short window/same age(10 days apart)

• Cheers 1

Sometimes playing against the top defense-men as a forward helps a defense men that hasn't fully developed yet that  has the potential to play at a level understand the movement of the games in a different way. At least that is my perspective from never playing Hockey and looking back at the development of Kevin Bieksa.

Does this player even understand how the defense-men play at the top level or has his ability to come into this understanding been deliberately hampered?

Question on Waiver Wire Players:

Assume Matt Irwin ($775,000), Sheldon Dries ($762,500) and Jack Rathbone ($850,000) pass through waivers. Do their collective caps ($2,387,500) come off the team cap total meaning that Tucker Poolman can be added to the cap and the team total will be under the allowable total cap? I believe in this scenario, TP could be put on the LTIR after the season starts and the Canucks accrue cap space throughout the season. 

Correct?

The Canucks did this perfectly somehow last season if memory serves me correctly.

If one of them gets picked up on waivers then of course their cap space comes off the books.

Edited by Rocket-68

3 hours ago, Dr.BRR said:

I hope Rathbone and Woo slide through, we shall see. I wouldn't say no to us snagging anyone with some grit/toughness. even if they are out 13th forward and 7-8th Dman

Neither of them are going to be NHL players.  I'd be shocked if either was claimed 

• Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Assume Matt Irwin ($775,000), Sheldon Dries ($762,500) and Jack Rathbone ($850,000) pass through waivers. Do their collective caps ($2,387,500) come off the team cap total meaning that Tucker Poolman can be added to the cap and the team total will be under the allowable total cap? I believe in this scenario, TP could be put on the LTIR after the season starts and the Canucks accrue cap space throughout the season. 

Correct?

The Canucks did this perfectly somehow last season if memory serves me correctly.

If one of them gets picked up on waivers then of course their cap space comes off the books.

They’re all under 1.15mill so off the cap regardless of claim or not  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Correct?

They'll come off the cap. But there are players still with the team that aren't currently showing against the cap that will replace those guys on the calculation (Podkolzin,McCardell, Aman) Vancouver is going to be cap compliant without any further trades but they'll definitely need to have Poolman on LTIR to achieve it. 

4 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

They'll come off the cap. But there are players still with the team that aren't currently showing against the cap that will replace those guys on the calculation (Podkolzin,McCardell, Aman) Vancouver is going to be cap compliant without any further trades but they'll definitely need to have Poolman on LTIR to achieve it. 

I thought players demoted to the AHL do not count against the cap even if they are on 1 way contracts (i.e., Podz). Podz (and Aman) are waiver exempt so demoted directly to Abbotsford. 

Am I missing something here?

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

I thought players demoted to the AHL do not count against the cap even if they are on 1 way contracts (i.e., Podz). Podz (and Aman) are waiver exempt so demoted directly to Abbotsford. 

Am I missing something here?

What I'm saying is Vancouver still needs to have 22-23 players on the active roster.  So looking at cap friendly right now is a bit deceiving. There are players that are showing on the active roster that are being sent down and subsequently won't count against the cap. On the flip side there are posters currently showing as non roster (as therefore aren't being included In Vancouvers cap on cap friendly) that will be on the team and therefore will count against the cap.  Best advice, don't bother trying to figure out their cap space right now. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

What I'm saying is Vancouver still needs to have 22-23 players on the active roster.  So looking at cap friendly right now is a bit deceiving. There are players that are showing on the active roster that are being sent down and subsequently won't count against the cap. On the flip side there are posters currently showing as non roster (as therefore aren't being included In Vancouvers cap on cap friendly) that will be on the team and therefore will count against the cap.  Best advice, don't bother trying to figure out their cap space right now. 

I understand your point now, moving those three down puts the roster at 19/23 which the Canucks could but shouldn't start the season with. Anyone they bring up to fill out the roster to 22 / 23 will be added back to cap. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I understand your point now, moving those three down puts the roster at 19/23 which the Canucks could but shouldn't start the season with. Anyone they bring up to fill out the roster to 22 / 23 will be added back to cap. Thanks.

i'm pretty sure the canucks are going to run with a bare minimum 20 man roster for opening night to get cap compliance before placing poolman on LTIR.. and then recall players after poolman is placed on LTIR to get it back to 22/23.. so they'll probably have something like 11 forward + mikheyev 6 defenceman 2 goalie.. that'll put us below the cap prior to opening night and then place poolman on ltir and recall 3 players with the 2.5mil ltir.. not sure if they'll put mikheyev on ltir as he would have to miss minimum 10 games or almost a month.. the LTIR we get with poolman probably ends up close to 2.25mil instead of the 2.5mil since we can't get to the exact cap limit and prolly sitting 250k under the cap with a minimum roster.. LTIR = players cap - cap space available on opening night.