[Waivers] October 1st, 2023

27 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I'm just curious to see if we'll make a claim on a 3C type player or a RHD from last round of waivers just before Opening Day!!

Why would we make a claim on a 3C type player, we just signed one in Suter.

it wouldn’t make any sense.

And have Blueger, Aman, Raty, etc as depth. I don't think we can improve on that position through waivers.

Maybe we do go after a RHD, but I think we have enough competition for spots that we'd have to feel the player is an improvement over what we have. There are cap implications if we bring someone else in as well.

Promoting from within has always been an issue. Yes we need veterans to guide , but these younger players need NHL experience.

However l do understand RT in respect that his plan is to ice the best that we have.

He doesn't seem to want to second guess his choices , l respect that.

We have been in limbo for years. Seems to me that RT is driving in the right direction. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

And have Blueger, Aman, Raty, etc as depth. I don't think we can improve on that position through waivers.

Maybe we do go after a RHD, but I think we have enough competition for spots that we'd have to feel the player is an improvement over what we have. There are cap implications if we bring someone else in as well.

It sure looks like management and Tocchet want a club that is bigger and plays a heavier game than before. The D is bigger and will play heavier now. And guys like Aman besting out Dries reflects that belief too. If a player doesn’t have elite skill then he’s going to be gone. Go big or go home. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, BlueSteel said:

Why would we make a claim on a 3C type player, we just signed one in Suter.

it wouldn’t make any sense.

Depth, son! Depth.. preferably RH with some size and toughness!!! Suter may not pan out as an effective 3C!! He's more of a winger in case u didn't know 

Good we didn’t lose Woo.

Another season of top pairing minutes on the farm is needed. Let’s not forget he just started to turn the corner last year. It was too much to expect him to just jump right into the NHL.

Hopefully he gets a game or two on the big club and keeps progressing. He’s still only 23.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 3

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Good we didn’t lose Woo.

Another season of top pairing minutes on the farm is needed. Let’s not forget he just started to turn the corner last year. It was too much to expect him to just jump right into the NHL.

Hopefully he gets a game or two on the big club and keeps progressing. He’s still only 23.

Isn’t there a rule about how many games a waiver eligible call up can play before he has to go back down and not go through waivers?  Would be great if Woo could come up for several games without needing to clear again. 

I remember reading in the CBA that if a player is claimed off waivers, they are mandated to stay on roster for at least a month before they can be "waived" again. Even in that situation - if the Canucks lost Woo off waivers, he would have to be offered back to them before being sent down/clearing waivers. If the original team (canucks) want him they can claim him and automatically reassign him to Abbotsford without having to go through waivers again unless he stays on the roster for more than 30 days or plays 10 NHL games.

I doubt another team wanted to go through the process to claim Woo and hold him on the roster while he hasn't shown he is a bonafide NHL depth piece yet. Just would waste a roster spot for them and likely make other teams have to make a hard decision on their own group. 

If anything - Rathbone was the one I was concerned about losing. Glad both cleared

• Upvote 1