[Speculation] NHL expansion - Atlanta, Houston, Salt Lake City & Quebec City

I'd really rather give it some time if I'm honest, similar to how we had a break after Columbus and Minny in 2000-01. Leave it at 32 teams for at least like 10 years or something. Such a nice number and it gets crazy to keep track of so many teams if we expand to 36. Admittedly though, 36 is a much more divisible number than 34, so makes more sense if we are to expand.

I'd be shocked if Quebec City does get a team, but it would be awesome.

All that said, I think it makes more sense to focus on the teams bleeding money now than to add more questionable markets to the NHL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They will charge a $1 billion expansion fee, so 4 teams equals $4 billion in revenue to the current owners.  You can pretty much book it that this will happen.  That's over $120 million per team...

$4B they don't have to share with the players at that.  It's not considered hockey related revenue.

• Thanks 1

My question would be how much traction does this actually have?

It's one thing for the media to speculate because they want the views. It's a whole different thing for the league to be actually for it. Unless if there's something I'm missing, I'm not really buying it at this point.

Edited by The Lock

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd really rather give it some time if I'm honest, similar to how we had a break after Columbus and Minny in 2000-01. Leave it at 32 teams for at least like 10 years or something. Such a nice number and it gets crazy to keep track of so many teams if we expand to 36. Admittedly though, 36 is a much more divisible number than 34, so makes more sense if we are to expand.

All that said, I think it makes more sense to focus on the teams bleeding money now than to add more questionable markets to the NHL.

The teams that are bleeding money now will receive a cash injection of $120 million.  That should be able to carry them forward for awhile.  It's inevitable that more expansion will happen.  I doubt they would wait 10 years to collect that $4 billion in extra bonus money...

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'd rather it not happen at all but there's been rumblings of Atlanta expansion for a while, I made the CDC thread back in early March 

If anything the success of Seattle last year combined with Vegas winning a championship so soon is spurring potential owners and cities to try and get in on the action, therefore I'd be surprised if the NHL took a lengthy amount of time to capitalize on the interest 

Quebec getting a team seems inevitable given the rink is there and a Nordiques fanbase would always sell out the arena 

Salt Lake city is the one that surprises me a bit but Houston and Atlanta make sense if the idea is to reach a bunch of people who aren't already hockey fans 

Texas has the Stars but that state has a large enough population to easily support another franchise, plus an in-state rivalry could spur hockey in Texas to new heights 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The teams that are bleeding money now will receive a cash injection of $120 million.  That should be able to carry them forward for awhile.  It's inevitable that more expansion will happen.  I doubt they would wait 10 years to collect that $4 billion in extra bonus money...

Arizona in particular could use such a financial lifeline, although I do think there's a chance they relocate if they can't get the arena figured sooner than later

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Could you imagine a 4 team draft? Every team loses 4 players? Madness!

I doubt it would happen all at once.  It would probably happen in phases like it did for Nashville - Atlanta - Columbus - Minnesota.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Salt Lake city is the one that surprises me a bit but Houston and Atlanta make sense if the idea is to reach a bunch of people who aren't already hockey fans 

There's been a fair bit of talk about Salt Lake City lately.  Apparently the guy that owns Real Salt Lake (and a piece of many other teams in may sports, including the NJ Devils) is behind the push.

2 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

I doubt it would happen all at once.  It would probably happen in phases like it did for Nashville - Atlanta - Columbus - Minnesota.

There's been a fair bit of talk about Salt Lake City lately.  Apparently the guy that owns Real Salt Lake (and a piece of many other teams in may sports, including the NJ Devils) is behind the push.

Interesting I suppose, I don't really think of hockey when I think of Utah but I suppose there existing teams in nearby states 

I highly doubt we see 4 teams, at least all at once. The expansion draft for just Vegas and Seattle was horrifying. And they came in by themselves. Imagine losing 4 players at once? Brutal. Even if they did 2, then a couple years later did another 2 that's rough. Relocate the Coyotes to Houston and expand by 2.

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I highly doubt we see 4 teams, at least all at once. The expansion draft for just Vegas and Seattle was horrifying. And they came in by themselves. Imagine losing 4 players at once? Brutal. Even if they did 2, then a couple years later did another 2 that's rough. Relocate the Coyotes to Houston and expand by 2.

Expansion would probably be staggered, maybe a couple teams at a time in short order, but yeah the expansion draft would be very chaotic for whichever teams are the most competitive at the time 

I think there's too much money in it for it not to happen though, expansion is inevitable, particularly after the success of both Seattle and Vegas 

Ain't as much money in relocation but I do think the Coyotes will need a new home at some point

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

A short-term fix. I will definitely help, but teams like Arizona need more than a band-aid. Need good ownership and good management.

Just now, Coconuts said:

I'd rather it not happen at all but there's been rumblings of Atlanta expansion for a while, I made the CDC thread back in early March 

If anything the success of Seattle last year combined with Vegas winning a championship so soon are spurring potential owners and cities to try and get in on the action, therefore I'd be surprised if the NHL took a lengthy amount of time to capitalize on the interest 

Quebec getting a team seems inevitable given the rink is there and a Nordiques fanbase would always sell out the arena 

Texas has the Stars but that state has a large enough population to easily support another franchise, plus an in-state rivalry could spur hockey in Texas to new heights 

Yeah, the success of both Seattle and especially Vegas I think has made the NHL very bullish on the idea of further expansion. I'm not so sure these other four markets will be as good, but, as much as I had to say it, the extremely generous expansion drafts do seem to be a way better way to start a franchise. Hurts us badly, but helps these teams not be complete garbage to start.

Houston and Atlanta feel like the two most obvious places left to expand, but it'll be hard to get a fanbase going there. Atlanta might have some remnants of the Thrashers fanbase though. I do think that the NHL thinks if they give these teams a good enough roster to start via the expansion, they have a much better chance of success as a franchise, and I think t hey're right.

2 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

even more watered down?  Last I checked, this seems to be the golden age of the NHL in terms of parity and superstardom.  There are tons of teams (15+) that are just stacked with talent.  

15+ out of 32......So just under half of the league is stacked with talent. And the other half?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1