[Report] Lightning won't negotiate with Stamkos until end of season

More than likely a deal gets done and he stays in Tampa but that won't put a stop to speculation throughout the season, particularly as we get towards the end of it 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2736140

Steven Stamkos will have to wait until the end of the 2023-24 campaign before he gets a new contract.

The Tampa Bay Lightning captain is entering the final season of an eight-year, $68-million deal inked in 2016. Stamkos said on the first day of training camp in September that he hoped to get an extension done over the summer and was "disappointed" by the lack of talk toward a deal. He added that there hadn't been any conversations but was "ready whenever" to begin discussions.

However, Lightning general manager Julien BriseBois said Wednesday that he'll let the campaign play out before negotiating a new deal with Stamkos.

"Ultimately, I made the decision that it's in the best interest of our organization to wait until after the season to see what we have here, see how we perform, see how all these different, new pieces fit," BriseBois told The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun. "Then we'll be in a better position to make the best decision to set ourselves up for continued success."

BriseBois wasn't shy about signing extensions this offseason. He handed Brandon Hagel an eight-year, $52-million extension and gave Darren Raddysh a two-year, $1.95-million deal in August. The Lightning also project to have over $10 million in cap space next summer, and Stamkos is the only notable upcoming unrestricted free agent.

But BriseBois is adamant that he wants Stamkos to remain with the club over the long haul.

"I've stated that I think it would be great for the organization for Steven to finish his career here. He wants that," Brisebois said. "But what we want is for Steven to finish off his career in Tampa and for the club to continue to be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders for the remainder of his tenure."

Stamkos recorded 34 goals and 50 assists in 81 games last season. The 33-year-old picked up an assist in the club's victory on opening night Tuesday.

The Lightning selected Stamkos first overall in 2008. He's the franchise's all-time leader in goals (515) and points (1,057). Stamkos also ranks second in games played (1,004) and assists (542) behind Vincent Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis, respectively, but both records could be his by the end of this season.

Edited by Coconuts

they prolly want to see what kind of decline he's in before committing to anything he's 33 years old going to be 34 next year.. he's due for a decline just a matter of how big and there's a lot of mileage on that body.. if say he drops to 70 points this season that would be back to back year of 15+ points decline.. i wouldn't want to pay stamkos 8.5 x 4 or 5 at that decline rate paying him 8.5 x 4 or 5 at that decline rate is literally just paying for his past accolade if he drops to 70 points i wouldn't pay more than 7. 

Stamkos isn't stupid. He knows he's on a good team. He's still going to be good for 70-90 points.

He will probably take $6.5 million range as long as it stops the team losing players. That should leave them about $12 million.

Enough for a very high end player. Or a few mid-range players.

Toronto is stuck. Even if they wanted Stamkos, they have no cap room.

In fact Toronto will probably have to go all in this trade deadline. If they can figure out cap space.

He’s too old for what PA is looking for, but I would kick the tires with him at least. If he’s looking for too much money and/or term, we should stay away from him. 

However, if he’s willing to take less money and term, we should make an offer. I prefer Miller on the wing and it would bolster the top 6. 

This is assuming we have the cap space, but I would be willing to move Kuzmenko to make it happen. 

2 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Inb4 the media starts up Stamkos to Toronto rumors.

28 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Queue Toronto fans losing their shit thinking he's coming home I 5..4..3..2....

I feel like we've done this song and dance before..

:hurhur:

• Haha 2

They don't have the cap space to re-sign Stamkos unless he wants to take a team friendly deal.  BriseBois isn't stupid, he's won 2 cups.  They also have to re-sign Hedman in a couple of years too.  This team is getting older.  You can't pay everyone.  

If he wants to be a Lighting for life he'll take a team friendly deal.  If he wants to be like BO then he will go the highest bidder.  Toronto can trade Nylander and sign Stamkos for free in the summer.  So Toronto is definitely in play...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They don't have the cap space to re-sign Stamkos unless he wants to take a team friendly deal.  BriseBois isn't stupid, he's won 2 cups.  They also have to re-sign Hedman in a couple of years too.  This team is getting older.  You can't pay everyone.  

If he wants to be a Lighting for life he'll take a team friendly deal.  If he wants to be like BO then he will go the highest bidder.  Toronto can trade Nylander and sign Stamkos for free in the summer.  So Toronto is definitely in play...

What about us???

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

He's too old for us.  And he won't come here regardless.  Tampa is a much different life than Vancouver and we will tax him to death.  

However, if Petey refuses to sign here and gets traded then I would be all over Stamkos and overpay to get him...

Maybe JT Miller who knows him can call him up and least talk to him.

I highly doubt he comes here but I would not say that we wouldn't try getting him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to OP they'll have over 10 mil in cap next summer. But yeah, ideally for them he signs for 8ish mil. I'd sign that as a retirement contract. But I am also a broke ass bum that'd cry tears of literal joy to make a livable wage at my job. But I digress. 😎

Easy to see through corporate lies here.

Obviously, the Lightning want to keep Stamkos, but they want to be a competitive team more. Stamkos and his camp isn't stupid and can see the writing on the wall. If he fits as part of a long-term plan, they'll keep him, but otherwise, expect to see Stamkos in the superstar retirement home, AKA New York Rangers.

11 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

According to OP they'll have over 10 mil in cap next summer. But yeah, ideally for them he signs for 8ish mil. I'd sign that as a retirement contract. But I am also a broke ass bum that'd cry tears of literal joy to make a livable wage at my job. But I digress. 😎

They have $10 million in cap space with 19 players signed.  If Stamkos takes the entire $10 million then they'll be playing the season with 20 players.  Realistically, they can only afford to sign him to a $7-8 million extension unless they move out some cap.  The other issue is long term they also have to re-sign Hedman and Jeannot who they traded an entire draft class for.  Not sure they want to have both Stamkos and Hedman both at age 34 on long term deals...

3 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

This is assuming we have the cap space, but I would be willing to move Kuzmenko to make it happen. 

Seriously?

Kuz has been here one year, and was already about as productive as Stamkos.  He's also 6-7 years younger.

Given what we know now and expectations for the year, the only reason I could see dropping Kuzmenko to take on Stamkos is MAYBE if we had strong odds at a Cup next year.

Stamkos is on the decline, and Kuzmenko is heading into his peak years.  That's not a reasonable roster swap, IMO.

Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Sergachev all have 3 years left after this year.  Once they deal with Stamkos, they have to do the same process with Hedman next season.

Therefore, I don't see Tampa offering Stamkos a new deal of more than 3 years, unless it's at a really nice discount.  My guess would be :

3 x 9.5 to match the remaining 3 years of Point and Kuch.

or

5 x 7.5, front loaded giving the option to Stamkos to retire before his contract actually ends, if (when) Tampa's window closes.

Stammer might not like that the team didn't offer him an extension this past offseason but given their current cap situation and the uncertainty on how much the cap will rise next season I think it's smart for the management team to put this off until more information is known. In years past it seemed like there were a lot of GMs that handed out contracts making assumptions on what the cap would do and it came back to bite them bad. 

I guess there is also a chance the management group thinks stamkos will decline a bit this year and that will give them more leverage on a cheaper deal. 

12 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Inb4 the media starts up Stamkos to Toronto rumors.

11 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Queue Toronto fans losing their shit thinking he's coming home I 5..4..3..2....

Are you guys kidding it started the moment the news broke out earlier this year