[Article] Canucks: J.T. Miller wanted the Connor McDavid test. He got it.

RWJC

well Miller has made some questionable choices thats for sure... Yelling at the rookie and banging your stick is not a good thing, but i think from his comments he's working to reign in his "passion" for the game...call me a sceptic I dont think he will ever win a selke, but if he works hard and applies his passion in the right channels like education, he can become a great mentee of Tocchets and really improve his game. can he be a top 10 shutdown center yes, i think so... top 5 yes, i think so, but he has to be commited for every single minute he plays, that involves putting in 100% effort into his line changes too... I think if we can aquire a player like dallas's Mason Marchment to be a linemate of his we could have a Top 3 shutdown line...

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He looked damn good doing it too. If JT can actually round out his defensive game, something I was skeptical he could, this contract might not be as onerous as I thought it was when he sign it. If Brock can also round into 2019 form.. that would make for an incredible top 6.

Miller's had a good defensive game for a few years, but he needs to apply himself to actually perform. When he's motivated, he's a great 200 ft player. When he's lazy, he becomes a defensive liability. Very dichotomous in that way.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Miller's had a good defensive game for a few years, but he needs to apply himself to actually perform. When he's motivated, he's a great 200 ft player. When he's lazy, he becomes a defensive liability. Very dichotomous in that way.

That's actually a very good point

14 hours ago, RWJC said:

"Last year in the last 20, 30 games, we took a lot of pride about shutting down some of the best lines in the league and we should be proud about that. So I guess to keep that going a little bit, feels good,” he said.

It's still early but so far the plan and approach from late last season is carrying over into this season. It did matter and was valuable.

Their evaluation, training camp, no passengers approach late last season is indeed paying off and should be pointed out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I think people mistake some of what they see as "laziness" when, really, he's often just totally gassed. He plays hard minutes out there and yes, sometimes he dogs it a bit going to the bench or on the back check (usually when he knows enough to conserve energy rather than look like a hero and chase something that's out of his reach).  I don't think it's a case of being lazy or indifferent...he's done at that point. Mentally and/or physically. Sometimes it's a matter of being frustrated, sure, but no one can really say he's lazy if you watch him away from the puck/play, which isn't always something we can do (during televised games).

People are really starting to see what he's really about and not just the glaring stuff that makes for a media feeding frenzy and drama.

I love that he still wants to learn.

I love that he isn't a selfish player who wants to be in the limelight. That points aren't important to him...wins are.

I think he and Tocchet are a good combination and he'll keep showing us what he's capable of under this coaching staff.

I saw it all along...watch games up close and personal and you see a lot of stuff that isn't just fodder and click bait. Goes unnoticed.

Not a lack of effort/caring...it's actually the opposite. 

Imagine how he will be when going on 33yrs old.

Class A personality.

19 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Imagine how he will be when going on 33yrs old.

Class A personality.

I don't think it'll be a drastic decline as some here do. He lives a good life from all accounts and that matters. Not out there partying every night. 

I mean, if you get proper rest, eat well, work out...that stuff factors in. He won't be 80 as some present it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I don't think it'll be a drastic decline as some here do. He lives a good life from all accounts and that matters. Not out there partying every night. 

I mean, if you get proper rest, eat well, work out...that stuff factors in. He won't be 80 as some present it.

In hockey it doesn't have to mean drastic decline. Just a half a step is enough. His performance will also depend upon ice time.

It is the odds. Not many players can continue at a high level that are not super stars or specialty guys. There are not that many stars making 8 million a year that are 34 yrs old.

But as a shadow?~~

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Yep, and the term on his deal is why his cap is relatively low.

For the next 2-3 years we get a PPG power forward C who can shut down top lines, while making 8 hits in a single game (lol) at $8M. That’s a fucking steal.

By the time he starts to decline, $8M will be even less of a concern, and he can move to the wing.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Every team needs an asshole who's hard to play against...we haven't had that since Kesler. I love the comparison! Miller definitely has more power to his game but that attitude is there and I really like it. No more country club vibes it seems. 

kesler was so much better than miller

3 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

kesler was so much better than miller

Yeah I remember his 99 point and 82 point seasons.

Oh wait.....

At least give examples of how/why. Also, we had a bigger sample size for Kes...Miller's just getting going.

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yeah I remember his 99 point and 82 point seasons.

Oh wait.....

At least give examples of how/why. Also, we had a bigger sample size for Kes...Miller's just getting going.

different era's... low scoring 1-3-1 trap, brutal monsters, Power plays were still being perfected back then, 4 forwards on the PP instead of 3 was not normal. the canucks used the old setup. they did invent the common power play entry thats used across the league now, though.

as much as people laugh about it, advanced stats has really increased scoring in the past few years, everything is scrutinized to find the smallest of edges...(austin matthews)snap shots, high danger shots, cross wide one timers, the speed of the game, 3 scoring lines, the enforcer disappearing. even things like not gliding back to the bench is recognized and proven to help your team.

and when it comes to defensive play Kesler was a perennial selke candidate for many years and a grade a pest. assuming prime kesler would be dumped into todays NHL with all the knowledge of this era, one would assume his scoring would increase. and just like JT if hes was brought back to the 1-3-1 trap era his scoring would drop, maybe drastically as his position on the powerplay didnt even exist for 2/3rds of the teams.

many others agree that Ryan would be paid more than JT is right now... How much salary would a prime Ryan Kesler demand In todays NHL? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dankmemes187 said:

different era's... low scoring 1-3-1 trap, brutal monsters, Power plays were still being perfected back then, 4 forwards on the PP instead of 3 was not normal. the canucks used the old setup. they did invent the common power play entry thats used across the league now, though.

as much as people laugh about it, advanced stats has really increased scoring in the past few years, everything is scrutinized to find the smallest of edges...(austin matthews)snap shots, high danger shots, cross wide one timers, the speed of the game, 3 scoring lines, the enforcer disappearing. even things like not gliding back to the bench is recognized and proven to help your team.

and when it comes to defensive play Kesler was a perennial selke candidate for many years and a grade a pest. assuming prime kesler would be dumped into todays NHL with all the knowledge of this era, one would assume his scoring would increase. and just like JT if hes was brought back to the 1-3-1 trap era his scoring would drop, maybe drastically as his position on the powerplay didnt even exist for 2/3rds of the teams.

many others agree that Ryan would be paid more than JT is right now... How much salary would a prime Ryan Kesler demand In todays NHL? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

good post

19 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

Advanced stats has done dick for scoring.   It's the talent level catching up to expansion and stuff like Ian Coles and Joshua's goofy penalty calls that's doing that (last game - both non-calls just dumb PP's).    As far as Kesler goes, yep he was a top tier player for two seasons.    Funny how Bieksa compares Miller to him.  Not really.   People also complained about Kesler back then.  

• Vintage 2

looking back, perhaps so much is a over statement... he was better. 

if i was to pretend a situation and EP didnt exist and we put prime kesler in his spot and all 3 Miller, Kesler and Horvat were our centers and up for contract...

horvat is the easy choice out, miller would be our scoring center taking EP's role and kesler would be our shutdown center and Number 1 Pk unit...

he likely would play more minutes than Miller... and would heavily rely on miller to feed him the puck on the PP... idk call me old school I think that his type of style is more inducive of winning games especially playoff games.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Advanced stats has done dick for scoring.   It's the talent level catching up to expansion and stuff like Ian Coles and Joshua's goofy penalty calls that's doing that (last game - both non-calls just dumb PP's).    As far as Kesler goes, yep he was a top tier player for two seasons.    Funny how Bieksa compares Miller to him.  Not really.   People also complained about Kesler back then.  

back that up with any prrof, because i will spend 5 minutes giving you page after page of proof

• Vintage 1