[Article] Devils bench Timo Meier, Lindy Ruff calls out team after loss to Panthers: 'Everyone should be angry'

Devils bench Timo Meier, Lindy Ruff calls out team after loss to Panthers: 'Everyone should be angry'

The Devils coach was not pleased with his club's performance against the Panthers on Monday.

New Jersey Devils head coach Lindy Ruff is setting a high standard early in the 2023-24 season and was none too pleased with his club’s effort against the Florida Panthers in Monday’s 4-3 loss.

With the Devils trailing 4-0 early in the third period, Ruff felt there needed to be a message of accountability sent to his players. That led to the benching of star forward Timo Meier as well as Curtis Lazar and John Marino for all but one shift of the final frame.

Meier, in particular, was disciplined for taking a pair of tripping penalties in the second period — neither of which the Panthers scored on. Still, the 27-year-old's ice time finished at 11:29 on the night, which was the lowest of his career since 2017-18.

"Can't take the penalties he took," Ruff said, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Ruff said it was a “coach’s decision” when asked about the three skaters that spent most of the final 20 minutes on the bench.

New Jersey’s bench boss, who inked a multi-year extension last week, added the team needs “more out of a lot of guys” moving forward and that this disappointing defeat wasn’t on just one or two individuals.

"To a man, we all should be [frustrated]," Ruff said after the game, per Devils reporter Amanda Stein. "Players, coaches, everyone should be angry."

The four-time Jack Adams Award finalist hopes his team can utilize its current frustration as motivation for the next game, which will come Friday against the New York Islanders. There, Meier will aim to re-enter his head coach’s good graces.

It has been a tepid start to the season for Meier, considering he’s been held off the scoresheet in all three games thus far. He has registered four shots on goal in that span.

The Devils have high expectations for the former San Jose Shark, who was acquired in a blockbuster deal ahead of last season’s trade deadline. The veteran was then rewarded with a hefty eight-year contract extension over the summer.

For his career, Meier owns 154 goals and 316 points across 451 games while averaging 16:57 minutes per night. The Switzerland native potted 40 goals and 66 points over 78 contests split between San Jose and New Jersey in 2022-23.

The Devils are off to an underwhelming start to the 2023-24 campaign, earning three points in their first three games. Goal prevention has been an early issue, as they’ve surrendered at least three markers in each contest.

New Jersey had been tabbed as a legitimate Stanley Cup contender entering the season after finishing with 112 points last year.

Thomas Hall

https://apple.news/AQfebGqe_Q-aXOSSMi9jskA

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That's what happens when you add an unqualified idiot like Green to the coaching staff.  People here really underestimate just how much of a cancer he was here.

i hated the idea of hiring coaches for on-the-job training. wasted so many years off careers for guys who are not qualified to coach at the NHL level

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, King Heffy said:

That's what happens when you add an unqualified idiot like Green to the coaching staff.  People here really underestimate just how much of a cancer he was here.

You hate all the ex coaches you hate all the management here.. is there even anyone in the nhl you like? Ya green is definitely the reason why Meier took 2 bad penalty in 4 mins.. because he’s teaching the players how to trip players if they get beat?? I think Ruff is more qualified than you are when it comes to evaluating whether a coach is qualified or not.. and I don’t like green nor Jason king or Yeo etc… but you seem to go out of you way every chance you get to rage at them even if they are not part of the organization

• Cheers 1

I know the Devils looked so good last year and everyone thought they'd be a cup favourite this year, but look what they did on defence. They lost two of their top-4 guys. That's a huge blow. Say what you want about Luke Hughes and Nemec coming in but Nemec hasn't cut the lineup so really they have their lesser guys from last year playing bigger minutes. Graves and Severson were huge for them. Now they've got guys like Seigenthaler and Bahl playing big minutes. There's certainly a drop off in quality there.

They've essentially gone from a defence-first team to a bit more of a scoring team with the loss of Graves and Severson and the acquisition of Meier and I don't think it'll bode well for them. They'll obviously still be a playoff team but that's the wrong way to trend, adding Hughes or not.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know the Devils looked so good last year and everyone thought they'd be a cup favourite this year, but look what they did on defence. They lost two of their top-4 guys. That's a huge blow. Say what you want about Luke Hughes and Nemec coming in but Nemec hasn't cut the lineup so really they have their lesser guys from last year playing bigger minutes. Graves and Severson were huge for them. Now they've got guys like Seigenthaler and Bahl playing big minutes. There's certainly a drop off in quality there.

They've essentially gone from a defence-first team to a bit more of a scoring team with the loss of Graves and Severson and the acquisition of Meier and I don't think it'll bode well for them. They'll obviously still be a playoff team but that's the wrong way to trend, adding Hughes or not.

i dont think it's that big of a deal for them. i think they are aware their realistic cup contention window is probably in a year or 2 when hughes and nemec are able to fill their roles. honestly i think nemec was good enough in the preseason to make the roster but i don't think they want a 19 and 20 year old on their blue line at the same time hence nemec is down in the ahl.. their defence will be a force to reckon with in probably 2 years from now which is fine since most of their stars are all locked up long term.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dont think it's that big of a deal for them. i think they are aware their realistic cup contention window is probably in a year or 2 when hughes and nemec are able to fill their roles. honestly i think nemec was good enough in the preseason to make the roster but i don't think they want a 19 and 20 year old on their blue line at the same time hence nemec is down in the ahl.. their defence will be a force to reckon with in probably 2 years from now which is fine since most of their stars are all locked up long term.

Got to have guys who will eat pucks and do the dirty work. Devils don’t have those guys. Last season was a one off. They will stink like before. Too soft. Too scared. Too selfish. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Got to have guys who will eat pucks and do the dirty work. Devils don’t have those guys. Last season was a one off. They will stink like before. Too soft. Too scared. Too selfish. 

worse case scenario is they'll be the oilers of the east outscore their problems until their defensive core of hughes nemec come into fruition.. their core is better than  the oilers their defence is better than the oilers and the leafs their biggest question mark is goalie. they still have decent amount of cap space to rectify that in the next couple years. not to mention they have pretty much the concensus selke pick as their 2c.. devils are ahead of their timeline.. i dont view them as contender status for prolly at least 2 more seasons.. plenty of time to rectify whatever their problem is

• Cheers 2

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

worse case scenario is they'll be the oilers of the east outscore their problems until their defensive core of hughes nemec come into fruition.. their core is better than  the oilers their defence is better than the oilers and the leafs their biggest question mark is goalie. they still have decent amount of cap space to rectify that in the next couple years. not to mention they have pretty much the concensus selke pick as their 2c.. devils are ahead of their timeline.. i dont view them as contender status for prolly at least 2 more seasons.. plenty of time to rectify whatever their problem is

The Devuls’ D is a bunch of softies. They have zero chance. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

They had a bad game and the coach benched some players. 

That is sports. 
Why is this news.  
Very premature to be dancing on their graves. 

Believe or not we will have some bad games too, probably a lot more than NJ. 

Why is it not news?

He’s a 70million dollar player and their most recent high profile key trade acquisition, and was stapled to the bench for a large percentage of the 3rd period. If JTM, QH or EP was similarly benched you’d read about it. Hell, you might even be here commenting on it as well.

Seems strange to me that you’re asking why this story is news but providing your feedback on it at the same time. Kind of like negating your own point, no?

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Why is it not news?

He’s a 70million dollar player and their most recent high profile key trade acquisition, and was stapled to the bench for a large percentage of the 3rd period. If JTM, QH or EP was similarly benched you’d read about it. Hell, you might even be here commenting on it as well.

Seems strange to me that you’re asking why this story is news but providing your feedback on it at the same time. Kind of like negating your own point, no?

and I would not be pronouncing the team dead after one flat game, especially one where you almost came back from a 4 goal deficit in the third.

If JTM, QH or EP were having a bad game and got benched I would saying the same thing here, calm down that is what coaching does, play the players that are playing well.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

and I would not be pronouncing the team dead after one flat game, especially one where you almost came back from a 4 goal deficit in the third.

If JTM, QH or EP were having a bad game and got benched I would saying the same thing here, calm down that is what coaching does, play the players that are playing well.

Ok. I thought you were meaning more so as to why is this reported on to begin with.
It’s a bit of a big deal though when you bench a prominent player who is supposed to help you claw back a victory, even if they were at fault or made a few errors to begin with.

It’s news because it means the coach has certain impact players on a short leash, which is not the norm in pro sports unless it means he doesn’t trust you, your game or your impact on the rest of the team in that circumstance, or worse in general. 

I’m not trying to exaggerate the story by any means, but again if Draisatil or McD is held back because they took a couple bad penalties earlier which led to goals, it would be a top story. This one about Meier was trending as #3 this morning in the sports world, so that tells you something.

Totally agree with you that it’s way too early to count out NJD in any capacity.