Interesting Hockey pics and factoids.

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Seravelli has a heckuva hairline and you can tell his skin is still good, but that pure grey certainly makes you guess he's about 50.

He's also chronically online...  look what it does for your hair! 

25 minutes ago, Kragar said:

One thing it tells me is that goalie equipment got bigger.

Goalies too, plus Roy popularized the butterfly which at the time showed 9/10 goals were on the ice so going down ... you'd be sure to get almost all of those.   Of course that's ridiculous.   Five hole, picking corners, backhands etc aren't predictable.     Goalies bloating from 5'7-6'0  to 6'7" (Ben Bishop) ... of course there will be less net too.  And reflex's suffer as well.   Plus no more leather pads which could gain up to 20lbs in water weight in a game.    Sad that we don't get to see the same rebound control that stand-up goalies had.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

On this day in 1989, Sergei Mylnikov became the first goaltender from the Soviet Union to play in an NHL game. Mylnikov made 31 saves in a 4-2 loss to the Bruins.

396715483_860355208881564_6358283946409785821_n.jpg

He was a good goalie.  Like a few other very good European goalies of his time like Jarmo Myllys and Kari Takko he just didn't really get a foothold in the NHL.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Goalies too, plus Roy popularized the butterfly which at the time showed 9/10 goals were on the ice so going down ... you'd be sure to get almost all of those.   Of course that's ridiculous.   Five hole, picking corners, backhands etc aren't predictable.     Goalies bloating from 5'7-6'0  to 6'7" (Ben Bishop) ... of course there will be less net too.  And reflex's suffer as well.   Plus no more leather pads which could gain up to 20lbs in water weight in a game.    Sad that we don't get to see the same rebound control that stand-up goalies had.   

Even without the water weight gain, I wonder about the weight difference between the pads now.  They are bigger now, but I'd be surprised if they aren't lighter given the improved materials and design over the years.

But then, the weight gain in the pads wasn't a big deal... by the time the third period comes around, you almost had to shoot someone to get penalized.  Defending the lead was easy back then :classic_wink:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Even without the water weight gain, I wonder about the weight difference between the pads now.  They are bigger now, but I'd be surprised if they aren't lighter given the improved materials and design over the years.

But then, the weight gain in the pads wasn't a big deal... by the time the third period comes around, you almost had to shoot someone to get penalized.  Defending the lead was easy back then :classic_wink:

They are way lighter.   I remember when players started to look like transformers too, back in the early-mid  2000's.   The older ones like Shanny just kept using his same leather shoulder pads.    McSorely would have looked ridiculous with modern padding - 4 feet wide, he didn't wear much of anything underneath even for his era. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

May 13th 1988, Detroit Coach Jacques Demers said today the Red Wings might still be in the Stanley Cup playoffs if forward Bob Probert had stayed sober.

Probert, a recovering alcoholic, was one of six players who the Red Wings said were out drinking in Edmonton, Alberta, well past curfew, on the eve of what Demers called "our biggest game of the season."

"Not me," Probert said. "You sure you got the right guy?"

The players were found drinking about 2 a.m. Wednesday, three hours past the team's curfew, by assistant coach Colin Campbell and chief scout Neil Smith.

Said Demers: "I honestly believe we could have won that game and come back for Game 6 in Detroit. If only it weren't for six idiots."

"Bob Probert has been made a hero in Detroit," Demers said. " . . . He doesn't deserve it one bit. But it wasn't just Probert. How about the others? They're all guilty."

391713236_802784071857120_1842701950803987129_n.jpg

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:
Probert, a recovering alcoholic, was one of six players who the Red Wings said were out drinking in Edmonton, Alberta, well past curfew, on the eve of what Demers called "our biggest game of the season."

"Not me," Probert said. "You sure you got the right guy?"

Many years later, Demers let in on his little secret - that he was functionally illiterate.  With that in mind, it's entirely possible that he did get the wrong guy in this case.

21 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Oct. 25, 2000, Ray Bourque picked up two assists in the Colorado Avalanche’s 2-1 win over the Nashville Predators. The two assists gave Bourque 1,532 points in his career, which broke Paul Coffey’s record for the most points by a Dman.

395860944_806516678150526_8009117626784782590_n.jpg

Slow and steady wins the race...

18 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Many years later, Demers let in on his little secret - that he was functionally illiterate.  With that in mind, it's entirely possible that he did get the wrong guy in this case.

Perhaps, but if 6 guys on that team went out drinking the odds would be astronomical that Probert wasn't one of them.

• Cheers 3