Interesting Hockey pics and factoids.

On 1/26/2024 at 2:12 AM, nuckin_futz said:

419270081_893578715757379_2592402998003859391_n.jpg.e25b9e92168a40afa1b50bea542db547.jpg

"So I was in the locker room one day and Risto was a rookie and I was taping my stick. He comes up behind me with his jock and he puts it right in my face and i was thrown off guard so I chase him down and I reach him in the stick room. I go full on WWE wrestler and throw a choke hold on him and everything's fun and games and I think I'm not trying to hurt him until I feel his whole body going limp and I choked him out unconscious in the stick room.

He was the first rounder where like the team put all the eggs in Risto's basket and I think he was a top five pick and I'm just like 'oh my gosh i just choked out the sabres first round pick'.

He's laying on the floor in the stick room like choking on his tongue and I'm starting to get nervous so i rolled him on his side so he wasn't choking on his tongue and he came to seven seconds later He woke up and he was like shocked, he was like 'whoa' because he was only an 18 year old 19 year old kid and here I am this goon choking him out in the stick room it was definitely a very scary situation but it was also a learning situation for Risto"

- John Scott

Maybe he enjoyed watching Slap Shot and decided he wanted to add "Killer" to his list of nicknames?  :classic_ninja:

(too soon?)

On 1/11/2024 at 1:05 PM, nuckin_futz said:

418504267_328695263470064_8934180968998250849_n.jpg

In case arithmetic is tough, that's an average of 207.2 points over 5 years,  and 75 goals.   You can't era adjust that any way you slice it.    + 78 as well.    

There is a reason why he's considered the greatest athlete in the history of pro sports.   

Even without these five years, and just take the last 15 years of his career, it would rank amongst the best ever.    That shoulder injury changed his career arc.    And it's not like he was bad in his 17 year old pro debut in the WHA, or that he was bad in 1979-80 or 1980-1981 either.   8 Harts in a row.   The only guys to get it twice in a row since are Hasek, Ovi and McDavid. 

• Vintage 2
  • chaos 1

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

In case arithmetic is tough, that's an average of 207.2 points over 5 years,  and 75 goals.   You can't era adjust that any way you slice it.    + 78 as well.    

There is a reason why he's considered the greatest athlete in the history of pro sports.   

Even without these five years, and just take the last 15 years of his career, it would rank amongst the best ever.    That shoulder injury changed his career arc.    And it's not like he was bad in his 17 year old pro debut in the WHA, or that he was bad in 1979-80 or 1980-1981 either.   8 Harts in a row.   The only guys to get it twice in a row since are Hasek, Ovi and McDavid. 

Totally.  You can era adjust Gretzky's numbers all you want and his numbers are still out of this world. 

The other way to look at it is to compare his production to the 2nd highest point scorer each year (apples to apples). 

1983-84 was ridiculous.  Coffey had 126 points as the 2nd highest scoring player that year.  Gretzky finished with 205 points.  63% difference in points.

You take the above, and then you realize that if Mackinnon who is basically 2nd in league scoring right now with 85 points, if Kucherov was Gretzky, he would be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 139 points right now with 33 games left to go. 

Just let that sink in.  It's unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

On 10/27/2023 at 11:30 AM, nuckin_futz said:
May 13th 1988, Detroit Coach Jacques Demers said today the Red Wings might still be in the Stanley Cup playoffs if forward Bob Probert had stayed sober.

Probert, a recovering alcoholic, was one of six players who the Red Wings said were out drinking in Edmonton, Alberta, well past curfew, on the eve of what Demers called "our biggest game of the season."

"Not me," Probert said. "You sure you got the right guy?"

The players were found drinking about 2 a.m. Wednesday, three hours past the team's curfew, by assistant coach Colin Campbell and chief scout Neil Smith.

Said Demers: "I honestly believe we could have won that game and come back for Game 6 in Detroit. If only it weren't for six idiots."

"Bob Probert has been made a hero in Detroit," Demers said. " . . . He doesn't deserve it one bit. But it wasn't just Probert. How about the others? They're all guilty."

391713236_802784071857120_1842701950803987129_n.jpg

There's a classic story about the 1990 Wings....

It was at practice and Keith Primeau was whining loudly to anyone who would listen, because he thought he should have been credited with an assist in the previous night's game....

They had just finished a shooting drill and the goalie had skated away, so Primeau fired one into the empty net....

One of the team's assistants (the story goes that it was Colin Campbell) jumped on the PA system and announced "Red Wings goal scored by number 55, Keith Primeau!" Preems lost it and went after CC, but was put in his place by Probie, who likely felt that the rook was getting a bit too full of himself....

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Former Detroit Red Wings coach Jacques Demers had asked Bob Probert to quit smoking so many times. But Probert didn’t listen. Demers once again approached him in the locker room, begged him to quit. Probert wasn’t buying it. Instead, he pulled out a cigarette even as Demers spoke, and lit it with the blowtorch players use to curve their stick blades.

Source: The Chicago Tribune

IMG_3759.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...