[Speculation] Puljujarvi eyeing NHL return mid-December

TSN’s Chris Johnston of Insider Trading is reporting that former Edmonton Oilers forward Jesse Puljujarvi is eyeing an NHL return in early to mid-December after undergoing hip surgery in the offseason.

Puljujarvi became an unrestricted free agent after he was non-tendered a qualifying offer by the Carolina Hurricanes that followed a trade there late last season by the Oilers.

The 25-year-old was once a highly touted prospect after being selected fourth overall but has never lived up to those lofty expectations managing just 51 goals and 63 assists in 334 NHL games.

More from Johnston:

"Puljujarvi is skating in Finland right now... and it sounds as if he's feeling very, very good. He's hoping to return in early to mid December in terms of playing."

- Chris Johnston

The 25 year old Puljujarvi had five goals and 16 points in 75 games split between the Oilers and the Hurricanes. In total he has 51 goals and 114 points in 334 games. Not awful, by any means, but not exactly what you'd expect from a former 4th overall pick and a player who was scouted as one of the top offensive players in his draft. His best season came in 2021-22 with the Oilers when he managed 14 goals and 36 points in 65 games. To be frank though, Puljujarvi has never really come close to matching that level of production in any other season. 

If you're ever seen Puljujarvi play, you'll understand why the mere mention of his name can trigger some Oilers fans. He just oozes with natural skill and physical capabilities, but he has such a complete lack of fundamental understanding about both the offensive and the defensive flow of the game. He always seems like one play early or one play late in all areas of the ice. 'All the tools, but no tool box,' as the old saying goes. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's free and he'd probably come cheap, he's also prime aged

I imagine he'll land somewhere 

Yup. Definitely an NHL club will give him a shot. He’s big and skilled. But he’s terrible away from the puck and he’s a dough head. Hope he ends up in Calgary. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

He always seems like one play early or one play late in all areas of the ice.

This describes PoolParty perfectly from all the times I've seen him play. Struggles with hockey sense. Seems like a great guy, always smiling, loves the game. Hope he can salvage an NHL career.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Rekker said:

This describes PoolParty perfectly from all the times I've seen him play. Struggles with hockey sense. Seems like a great guy, always smiling, loves the game. Hope he can salvage an NHL career.

if he can be a middle six forward, I say that's a win for his career. 

If he comes cheap, I wouldn't mind him, but he's gotta be ready to bust his ass for Tocc.