[Article] Wes McCauley at the center of another Leafs controversy with non-call on Brad Marchand

Wes McCauley at the center of another Leafs controversy with non-call on Brad Marchand

Arun Srinivasan

Thu, November 2, 2023 at 7:12 PM PDT

Bruins star-pest Brad Marchand and ref Wes McCauley drew the ire of Leafs fans once again after defenseman Timothy Liljegren left with a serious injury.

Referee Wes McCauley is detested by many factions of the Toronto Maple Leafs fan base and, once again, he emerged as a controversial figure Thursday night.

Near the end of the first period, Bruins captain Brad Marchand and Maple Leafs defenseman Timothy Liljegren got tangled up in a foot race near the boards before Liljegren crashed awkwardly and immediately left the game and did not return. Marchand wasn’t penalized for the incident.

Although Marchand is one of the NHL’s best forwards, he’s earned a reputation as a pest and many fans believe he should face a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety for a potential slew-foot on the play.

We’ll let you be the judge:

Marchand would then get into a chirping match with Maple Leafs forward Ryan Reaves, but nothing further came of their interaction.

Why is McCauley public enemy No. 1 for many Leafs fans? McCauley refereed Game 1 of the Maple Leafs-Lightning first-round series last spring, where then-Leafs forward Michael Bunting earned a three-game suspension for an illegal hit to the head of Lightning defenseman Erik Cernak.

Prior to the Bunting-Cernak incident, Maple Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe was fined $25,000 for demeaning conduct towards an official, or in simple terms, a fine for berating McCauley during a late December game against the St. Louis Blues.

McCauley’s brother-in-law is David Frost, a man who abused Keefe earlier in his career. Keefe testified against Frost in court. We are not going to correlate the relationship between both parties given the serious nature of Frost’s abuse but it is worth noting as a statement of fact…

link to rest of article:

https://apple.news/AZ7F9rnl4QuSQr0IJAtni2g

Edited by RWJC
  • Vintage 2

The play made me think maybe off ice officials could call game suspensions mid game.

They have spotters for concussion protocol, you know a medical diagnosis, from someone off ice.

So why not an official addressing something suspension worthy mid game.

• Like 1

Just now, Shift-4 said:

The play made me think maybe off ice officials could call game suspensions mid game.

They have spotters for concussion protocol, you know a medical diagnosis, from someone off ice.

They can, in a way.  It's called a game misconduct.  Get enough of those and it's an automatic suspension.

Just look at that pushback from Toronto.  Everyone is just sitting there while Reaves does his best to chirp at the rat.  It's not like he can get on the ice against Marchand's line - he's one of the worst players in the league by multiple metrics.

Maybe Tyler Bertuzzi should stop praising Marchand in front of the media and actually start showing some loyalty to his current team?

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, TheBrockStar said:

I wouldn’t trust a thing Tim Peel says. Dude was one of the all time worsts.

Fair enough, but in this case he's probably right.  And besides, it provided some balance against the Toronto biased media.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have no respect for Tim Peel...but from that angle, it actually doesn't look like a penalty to me.

If that's not a penalty, we should be doing it to everyone.

Especially the worst offender in the NHL today.

Marr Ratus Nostrillia Lickatius Chand aka TFC (that fucking cunt).

image.png.3aede877813a704828dc6a79f8d62426.png

6 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

I agree non call liligren did move and instigate the contact, although marchand did make an intentional move with his foot, but it was to friggin stop.

Too me even from that angle it looks like Marchand jambs his stick in-between Liljegren with intent. If he's going for the puck, that's a weird place to put his stick. Some players might get the benefit of the doubt in that scenario but Marchand is far beyond that point.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I have no respect for Tim Peel...but from that angle, it actually doesn't look like a penalty to me.

I know Marchand has toned it down, that looked like a pick with the skate and Marchand a known offender for that stuff, I'm not saying he's picking it up since he's getting old by nhl standards but I think it looks suspicious, bias and dislike a side.

Edit - re-watching it over a bunch looks pretty intentional  tbh, both at fault sure but Marchand followed through to make it the worst possible.

Edited by TNucks1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Too me even from that angle it looks like Marchand jambs his stick in-between Liljegren with intent. If he's going for the puck, that's a weird place to put his stick. Some players might get the benefit of the doubt in that scenario but Marchand is far beyond that point.

actually thanks for this, i slowed it down... right before contact marchands stick accidently hit lilejgrens left foot, but after contact you can see marchand engage his upper body using his his shoulders and the weight of his of hi right foot to lift his foot with his stick... this was just a small shit hawk doing things they often get away with because well high speed collisions are hard to review... from contact to slew was about 0.2 seconds which is exactly the same amount of time the human mind takes to react to sensations like touch and sight... i was wrong... they should throw the book at him

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

They couldn't get it right with 2 refs, so they added two more.
All that accomplished was give the NHL 50% more leverage on the ice to "manage outcomes".
Adding OFF ICE officials will just make the shit show 50x worse. 
Just my 2 bits 

ps. that guy shouldn't be reffing Leafs games. 

I can imagine what's going through Keefs head every time he sees him on the ice in front of him.. never mind when there's controversy that costs them points. 

The NHL doesn't care about anyone or anything unless there's money involved. That includes all things to do with "social causes" where they just ride trends that will benefit them, until they don't. 

False virtue is rampant in our society today and it's big corporations like the NHL (and government) leading the charge. 

spacer.png
    spacer.png

Edited by HIWATT
  • Upvote 2

Just now, HIWATT said:

ps. that guy shouldn't be reffing Leafs games. 

I can imagine what's going through Keefs head every time he sees him on the ice in front of him.. never mind when there's controversy that costs them points. 

The NHL doesn't care about anyone or anything unless there's money involved. That includes all things to do with "social causes" where they just ride trends that will benefit them, until they don't. 

Our society is infested with false virtue these days, and it's being driven by big corp like the NHL (and government) . 

spacer.png
spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Probably should have been a penalty nothing more, Leaf fans going to cry bloody murder though. 

In a fair league that applies things consistently? Sure.

But come on.  We've just had discussions recently about how the refs store info from previous games to apply them in the here and now. How history comes into play.

Repeat offenders who continue to play a reckless, dangerous, dirty game deserve more. It's not like he doesn't know better (or what he's doing). He tries to be sneaky.

• Cheers 1