Filip Johansson

On 9/19/2023 at 2:54 AM, cripplereh said:

Think we will see one take a spot Johansson or Woo.

Next year should see both and Hronek to round out our RD.

If not one gets traded to grab one.

Both Johansson and Woo took big strides last year.  Johansson was essentially Frolunda's top defenceman. Woo started to hit his stride in the AHL.  I hope we see him in at least one more pre-season game but with a more skilled NHL roster to see how he handles it with proper support around him.

14 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think you should add McWard to that group of RHD that could take a spot.

I was extremely disapointed with Woo in the Calgary game, continually out of position and chasing the puck, leavineso much time  and spacefor theFlames to cashin on

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I was extremely disapointed with Woo in the Calgary game, continually out of position and chasing the puck, leavineso much time  and spacefor theFlames to cashin on

It was a very tough match up. He needs another year in the minors easily and it was a good show for him that he needs to process and react quicker to be a player at the next level.

IF he gets a call up or two this year will be interesting to see.

As that was a rough environment for the whole team to look good.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fred65 said:

They should have waived him after that game, zero chance he'd get claimed 😂

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

They should have waived him after that game, zero chance he'd get claimed 😂

I don't think he'll get claimed. All teams have players like Woo who aren't quite ready and they need to send down too...If he's sent down, it's not like he's showing he's ready and being sent down because the Canucks have so much RD depth that they just don't have room for a guaranteed NHL'er...he's still a proving his worth, and every team has 4-5 guys like that.  Now Hoglander, is the type of player a team would take a risk on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/28/2023 at 1:42 PM, flat land fish said:

I think most of us get caught up in single game results with these prospects.  The important part is that they make steady improvements as camp goes on and eventually as the season starts whether that be at the NHL level or AHL level

You are absolutely correct.  The game itself was a horror show and unfortunately the lack of structure to the game in some areas caused a lack of structure in other areas.  D ended up being overwhelmed when wingers got beat.  I wouldn't judge him on the basis of a single game and especially not that game.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Probably telling that he didn't get called up either by Allvin.

I dont expect the team to qualify him in June. He was sorta ordinary in Abbotsford. 

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Too many guys in front of him I guess.  Stats look pretty good fir first year in ahl albeit he's an older prospect.  How much better is the pay for a guy like him in SHL?

I agree that we are unlikely to ever see Johansson back in Abby or in Vancouver. The basic problem is that he just wasn't that good and, at age 24, he looks unlikely to ever be an NHL player. That is a disappointment as he was a former first round pick (24th overall) although it was a bit surprising that he went that high.

But I don't think there is much cost in qualifying him, so maybe the Canucks do it on the off chance that he is a late bloomer.

He wasn't one of the 12 black aces that got called up when Abby was eliminated.  For that matter, it doesn't look like Hirose was either (while Cicek, Irwin, Wolamin and McWard all were).  I can't see Tocchet playing Hirose on his defence anymore than I could have seen him playing Johansson.

3 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

He wasn't one of the 12 black aces that got called up when Abby was eliminated.  For that matter, it doesn't look like Hirose was either (while Cicek, Irwin, Wolamin and McWard all were).  I can't see Tocchet playing Hirose on his defence anymore than I could have seen him playing Johansson.

IMO; Hirose is a good AHL d-man but does not have the size or grit to play on a Tocchet coached NHL team. Johansson has some skill but does not have the grit or tenacity to go with it.

He seemed to have some promise when he was playing in the SHL, but just didn't translate

well in the NHL.  Team doesn't have a lot of RDs in the AHL, but he's the same age as Woo, who

is outperforming him while playing the physical game the Canucks want.  Also, McWard (who is a

year younger) has similar stats and plays a more physical style.

Good luck next season in the NHL, Filip.