[Speculation] Leafs were after Dumba in Free Agency but had to settle with Klingberg

"With Klingberg’s struggles currently a hot topic in Toronto, some focus has been devoted to GM Brad Treliving’s offseason search for defensive help, and particularly what other options may have been available to Toronto. According to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, the player Toronto “really wanted” on July 1st of last season was Matt Dumba, who eventually signed with the Arizona Coyotes. Friedman reports that Dumba’s camp was looking for a contract within the $5MM AAV mark, which is higher than what Toronto committed to Klingberg. With Klingberg struggling and Dumba playing nearly 21 minutes per night in Arizona (and leading the team in ice time on the penalty kill) one wonders if Toronto could re-engage their pursuit of Dumba, this time via a trade, should the Coyotes fall out of the playoff race."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

So, Klingberg is a horrendously bad decision, and I think EVERYONE on this board knew it at the time... 4.15 million for him is a joke, he should be around 2.5 million considering his defensive liabilities.

Reaves? 10 years ago, great deal. Now? 1.35 million for 3 years is laughable, and it's an anchor for them. Because it's a multi-year, 35+ contract, I don't believe that they are allowed to bury the cap hit in the AHL, even if they waive him and demote him. I believe that they will still have the full cap hit on the main team books, even if he can't play anymore.

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Would you do Klingberg for Beau straight up? Exact same cap and term on contract one is stuck playing a 4th line role while the other is a RD and Swede but cant play D.

No, I would want the Leaf's to at least retain him down to about 2.5 million and even then we have better options. There's a reason why Dallas didn't fight to keep him.

• Like 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

No, I would want the Leaf's to at least retain him down to about 2.5 million and even then we have better options. There's a reason why Dallas didn't fight to keep him.

Yeah if Bear was willing to sign here, would be a better option even if it meant we get less in a Beau trade. Klingberg almost made out like a bandit in FA, but him/his agent dropped the ball big time. 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah if Bear was willing to sign here, would be a better option even if it meant we get less in a Beau trade. Klingberg almost made out like a bandit in FA, but him/his agent dropped the ball big time. 

I did a post in the Beauvillier trade speculation thread about trying to just move Beauvillier out for a pick with 1 million retained, sign Bear, send Juulsen to Abbotsford etc.

Net result would be about 2.4 million increase in cap space if we could get Bear for 1 year at 1.5 million and then evaluate signing him again for next season as well.

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Would you do Klingberg for Beau straight up? Exact same cap and term on contract one is stuck playing a 4th line role while the other is a RD and Swede but cant play D.

No.  Klingberg would struggle to crack the Abbotsford lineup.  He's worse than useless and simply doesn't belong in the NHL.  Beau is overpaid, but he doesn't hurt you