NHLPA's Walsh on Coyotes: 'These are NHL players. They deserve an NHL rink.'

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhlpas-walsh-on-coyotes-these-are-nhl-players-they-deserve-an-nhl-rink/

TORONTO — A month ago, when the NHL’s board of governors convened in Manhattan to discuss the state of the league, talk of adding yet another seat at the table found its way onto the agenda once again. 

Nothing is imminent, commissioner Gary Bettman had said then, but if the right offer comes the league’s way, they will listen. Salt Lake City appears a frontrunner in that conversation, Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman had reported, with Atlanta, Houston and Quebec City all seemingly in the mix, too.

But in NHLPA executive director Marty Walsh’s view, before any attention is paid to adding a 33rd or 34th franchise, the league must first clean up its mess in the desert.

“I think there are lots of rumours about two more expansion teams coming. I would say three expansion teams — the first one, really, is Arizona,” Walsh said Monday during a session at the PrimeTime Sports Management Conference, held at a harbourfront hotel in downtown Toronto

“They’re playing right now in a college arena, 5,100 fans that go to those games, and they don’t sell out. I think that’s the first thing we have to do — figure out what is the long-term play on Arizona. 

“Those players are National Hockey League players. They deserve to play in a National Hockey League rink. So, hopefully we can do that. And that’s part of the business model too — you can’t have 31 teams playing in a full arena, and then one playing in a college arena, where you’re the second tenant, you’re not even the first tenant in that building.”

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Imagine being a Phoenix/Arizona fan the last couple decades

Imagine not having an arena that can hold NHL capacity #everyotherNHLfranchisegang

Imagine regularly having the best seats in the house for every home game for like 8.99. You get a coupon for a free hot dog and a Mikkel Boedker bobble head as well. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DeltaSwede said:

Imagine regularly having the best seats in the house for every home game for like 8.99. You get a coupon for a free hot dog and a Mikkel Boedker bobble head as well. 

Sounds great, I'd just have to live in Arizona which is a non-starter. 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 12:41 PM, Chickenspear said:

Stop this nonsense, Gary. It is a failed experiment. Just move the team to Houston already. 

They have a quick fix ready to go.   Quebec city created an NHL rink a decade plus ago now ...  And you know that they'd fill it.    Every single night.    500k rabid hockey fans, with no other major sport to compete with, is easily a 5-6 million person market in the US.    Bring back the Nordiques!  And fix a major sore spot for a lot of hockey fans.   I'm sure every player in ARI, would be happy.   Quebec city is unique.   Probably the only city in North America, that looks like it's been there for a thousand plus year.    Great food, and loads of appeal. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

They have a quick fix ready to go.   Quebec city created an NHL rink a decade plus ago now ...  And you know that they'd fill it.    Every single night.    500k rabid hockey fans, with no other major sport to compete with, is easily a 5-6 million person market in the US.    Bring back the Nordiques!  And fix a major sore spot for a lot of hockey fans.   I'm sure every player in ARI, would be happy.   Quebec city is unique.   Probably the only city in North America, that looks like it's been there for a thousand plus year.    Great food, and loads of appeal. 

Jesus, was it that long ago now?

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Jesus, was it that long ago now?

Without checking, i'm going to say a little longer ... state of the art, state paid for too...partially anyways that's what the tax payers were willing to do.  400 million, which now likely would cost double that if not more.   And it's collecting dust.   Vegas ... could have gone there instead.   Truly sucks for Canadian hockey.   And especially for Quebec.   A 3 hour drive, nothing to worry about as far as splitting the dollars with the Habs.   Would be awesome to see them go at it hammer and tong again.  

Edited by IBatch

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Without checking, i'm going to say a little longer ... state of the art, state paid for too...partially anyways that's what the tax payers were willing to do.  400 million, which now likely would cost double that if not more.  

I remember it going up and those of us over on CDC thinking "finally, NHL has to seriously consider them now"

What a disappointment 

On 12/6/2023 at 8:53 AM, Coconuts said:

I remember it going up and those of us over on CDC thinking "finally, NHL has to seriously consider them now"

What a disappointment 

Well you know, they gotta chase dem TV dollars... even if the local market (ahem, desert/tropical climate) doesn't give a flying fuck about hockey.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1