SpaceX Starship

VegasCanuck

Personally, I'm not sure what I find more interesting. The idea of what this rocket could do for space exploration, or the INCREDIBLE fireworks it creates when it explodes.

They have greenlight to try for a 2nd launch, thought I'd make a thread for anyone interested!

They are going to try on Friday, I'm sure that it will be livestreamed on Space.com

https://www.space.com/spacex-faa-license-second-starship-launch

Who can forget their last attempt:

And....some video of their earlier tests / explosions

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 2
  • Vintage 1

imo space is uninteresting. i don't understand the obsession some people have with it. it's just rocks, gas and empty space.

i guess terraforming mars is an interesting idea because it's within the realms of possibility, but people who think we're ever going to leave the solar system will be disappointed when it hasn't happened by the year 10,000.

don't get me wrong: space travel has benefits on earth in the sense that lots of technologies were born out of it, but anyone who thinks we're ever going to be able to travel to distant planets and discover alien life is going to be left disappointed.

i remain unmoved by spacex.

Just now, 112 said:

imo space is uninteresting. i don't understand the obsession some people have with it. it's just rocks, gas and empty space.

its much more than that. Its where we'll find the answers to some big questions, like will the universe end. 

Just now, 112 said:

i guess terraforming mars is an interesting idea because it's within the realms of possibility, but people who think we're ever going to leave the solar system will be disappointed when it hasn't happened by the year 10,000.

don't get me wrong: space travel has benefits on earth in the sense that lots of technologies were born out of it, but anyone who thinks we're ever going to be able to travel to distant planets and discover alien life is going to be left disappointed.

Elon is a dink, but I like that he's pushing frontiers. Brings out the best in us, imo. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its much more than that. Its where we'll find the answers to some big questions, like will the universe end. 

Elon is a dink, but I like that he's pushing frontiers. Brings out the best in us, imo. 

we already know that the universe will succumb to the entropic principle after an astonishing number of years. there will eventually be nothing but individual particles floating around with astronomical distances between them.

i do also like that Musk is pushing frontiers with respect to Mars. another thing I view favourably in space travel is the prospect of asteroid mining. but I think most of the people who are obsessed with the space age are quite delusional in what we have to gain as the human race from it. the nearest solar system to ours is ~4 light years away iirc. it's just not feasible that we ever leave our home.

17 minutes ago, 112 said:

Because, it opens up the possibility that we could load up rockets with Politicians and send them to Mars! Maybe we miss and accidentally hit the sun on the first couple of attempts, but I'm sure we'll get it right eventually..... 😉

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, 112 said:

we already know that the universe will succumb to the entropic principle after an astonishing number of years. there will eventually be nothing but individual particles floating around with astronomical distances between them.

i do also like that Musk is pushing frontiers with respect to Mars. another thing I view favourably in space travel is the prospect of asteroid mining. but I think most of the people who are obsessed with the space age are quite delusional in what we have to gain as the human race from it. the nearest solar system to ours is ~4 light years away iirc. it's just not feasible that we ever leave our home.

We don't know what we will discover. It's only been 100 years since we even knew that the universe was expanding.

6 minutes ago, 112 said:

Big freeze, heat death, proton decay - there are lot of ways things could end.    We'll just have to wait and find out.

You just can't keep people from building things that go to outer space though.  

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

You definitely got that right! He's crazy, but most people who drive at this level usually are.

I actually think I might have met him at an industry party years ago. Pretty sure it was him, just after he left PayPal and was looking for what to do next.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

You definitely got that right! He's crazy, but most people who drive at this level usually are.

I actually think I might have met him at an industry party years ago. Pretty sure it was him, just after he left PayPal and was looking for what to do next.

So it's all your fault? You had to go mention electric cars, smh. 

• Haha 1

Disagree with @112 , space is super fucking cool. I dont see how we could be the one planet out of trillinions that is more than gas and rocks.

That said, I think trying to blast rockets over to Mars is a waste of time given how vast space truly is. It might serve a short term purpose of proving itself to be completely impractical. Rockets won't ever be the answer to actually exploring the galaxy anyways. 

• Like 1