[Proposal] Ekholm for Beauvillier + Raty

Oilers are floundering

Ekholm is old. He might only have 2 years of good hockey left. 

Trading away Raty hurts but you need to give up something to get something. 

Beau and Raty would immediately improve their forward depth while we get a star back on D. 

While oilers lack defense, their window is closing fast and ekholms final years will be wasted as they will probably need to dismantle and rebuild. 

Horvat is the gift that keeps on giving. 

Works out to be

Horvat+2nd for Hronek and Ekholm. 

I would say we would go into the playoffs with one of the best D corps

Hughes Hronek 

Ekholm Cole 

Soucy Myers 

They just traded for him in February, seems unlikely they'd move him 

Feb. 28, 2023

Edmonton Oilers Acquire:

Mattias Ekholm ($250,000 retained - 4%) · $6,000,000
2024 6th round pick (NSH)
Sum: $6,000,000
Change: +$1,500,000

Nashville Predators Acquire:

Tyson Barrie · $4,500,000
Reid Schaefer · $0 (AHL/JR)
2023 1st round pick (EDM - #24 - Tanner Molendyk)
2024 4th round pick (EDM)
Sum: $4,500,000
Change: -$1,500,000

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Oilers are floundering

Beau and Raty would immediately improve their forward depth while we get a star back on D. 

While oilers lack defense, their window is closing fast and ekholms final years will be wasted as they will probably need to dismantle and rebuild. 

Works out to be

Hughes Hronek 

Ekholm Cole 

Soucy Myers 

Edmonton is all in on a playoff run, Holland is getting fired and they maintain course or they just maintain course. Zero chance they even think about this deal. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Edmonton is all in on a playoff run, Holland is getting fired and they maintain course or they just maintain course. Zero chance they even think about this deal. 

I don't think so.... 

Fans are calling and pressuring to blow it up including mcdrai. 

I have no idea how money puck has them at 45 percent to make playoffs. They are 4 pts up on the sharks... 

Fans aren't stupid. They see the writing on the wall. 

It would be highly irresponsible to take that team that's already highly leveraged and then double down to make playoffs. 

If they don't start moving ppl now, next year, they'll trade Drais and then the following year Mcdavid. 

There is no quick fix for this team. 

They are missing WAY too many pieces to fix this in 1 year. 

I honestly don't even know how you would fix this team

Kane, hyman, Nuge, Ryan, Gagner Ekholm are all 30+

What a disaster. 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't think so.... 

I have no idea how money puck has them at 45 percent to make playoffs. They are 4 pts up on the sharks... 

It would be highly irresponsible to take that team that's already highly leveraged and then double down to make playoffs. 

If they don't start moving ppl now, next year, they'll trade Drais and then the following year Mcdavid. 

What a disaster. 

Teams don't listen to fans for direction. The Oilers are fully set on win now. Blowing it up means Draisaitl and McDavid are leaving so no, blowing the team up is not an option. Much less trading their only good dman for a centrepiece who can't defend, let alone to a division rival, Again ZERO chance of this not getting laughed at by the Oil it makes no sense. 

31 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't think so.... 

What a disaster. 

The Oilers are done.  It was either cup or bust, and they busted a nut harder than a chipmunk on a Saturday night.  McBaby is going to want out.  He will request a trade by summer at the latest...

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Funny, I was under the impression they were tanking right now...   🤨

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Oilers are done.  It was either cup or bust, and they busted a nut harder than a chipmunk on a Saturday night.  McBaby is going to want out.  He will request a trade by summer at the latest...

They are absolutely not done until they hit rock bottom.  You think this is bad?  Give it a couple more months.

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Oilers are floundering

Works out to be

Hughes Hronek 

Ekholm Cole 

Soucy Myers 

Yeah, nooooooooo.....

Raty is our future 3C, and let's just make a deal for someone else or sit until summer. Do some minor tweaks at the deadline and be ready to move on free agents and a loosened cap in the summer.

Beauvillier isn't that big of an issue to move, but we need the right piece back from him. We need a team that is a little weak in top 6 but strong in bottom 6 to work with. 

Beauvillier to somewhere, with some cap retained if necessary to make numbers work in exchange for a solid bottom 6 guy or a solid 3rd pairing D and throw in a later round draft pick and we're good. That trade is out there, but with the cap the way it is, we need a contender to lose a top six for the season to make enough space for the deal to work.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

If anyone thinks Edmonton is going to immediately start tanking, they need to wake up.

Maybe if Ken Holland gets fired?  No, even the new GM will go all-in on McDrai.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I get what you guys are saying but can you honestly look at how you could possibly fix the team before Drais and Mcdavid contracts expire? 

I just don't see how you can do it. 

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I guess it could get worse.  Instead of being the 3rd worst team in the league, they could be THE worst.  McDavid and Draisaitl could also both blow out their knees...

I don't want anyone to get hurt.  If anything that'll just give them an excuse for failing.  No exaggeration - I don’t think I've seen a whole team grip their sticks as hard as the Oilers do right now.  The talent is there and they should be winning but they are in absolute panic mode right now.  Reminds me of Boston against Florida last year, but on a bigger scale.  McDavid looks like he's aged about 6 years in the past 6 weeks.

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

I get what you guys are saying but can you honestly look at how you could possibly fix the team before Drais and Mcdavid contracts expire? 

I just don't see how you can do it. 

Bear in mind EDM has done nothing yet to address its roster problems.  They have demoted a goalie and fired their coach.  Zero additions, zero trades as of today.  There is no doubt that will change.

But there is also zero chance Edmonton makes any trade where they are the one acquiring prospects.  Ekholm is the only defenceman pulling his weight on both sides of the ice.  He is... the only indispensable skater on their blueline.

Do you know what Ekholm cost last year?  They gave up Tyson Barrie, a first round pick and a fourth round pick.  He was expensive as hell.  A garbage winger like Beauvillier and a mid-level prospect like Raty doesn't even come close to fair value.

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I don't want anyone to get hurt.  If anything that'll just give them an excuse for failing.  No exaggeration - I don’t think I've seen a whole team grip their sticks as hard as the Oilers do right now.  The talent is there and they should be winning but they are in absolute panic mode right now.  Reminds me of Boston against Florida last year, but on a bigger scale.  McDavid looks like he's aged about 6 years in the past 6 weeks.

Bear in mind EDM has done nothing yet to address its roster problems.  They have demoted a goalie and fired their coach.  Zero additions, zero trades as of today.  There is no doubt that will change.

But there is also zero chance Edmonton makes any trade where they are the one acquiring prospects.  Ekholm is the only defenceman pulling his weight on both sides of the ice.  He is... the only indispensable skater on their blueline.

Do you know what Ekholm cost last year?  They gave up Tyson Barrie, a first round pick and a fourth round pick.  He was expensive as hell.  A garbage winger like Beauvillier and a mid-level prospect like Raty doesn't even come close to fair value.

I might have put more value in Raty than a mid level prospect but that's correct. He's the future 3c here. 

While we might consider Beau garbage, he'd be an upgrade over many Oiler wingers. 

If oilers are absolutely going for it now and willing to double down, I'm gonna grab some popcorn and watch them dig their own grave. 

I just don't see how Drais and Mcdavid will re-sign there. When you watch their interviews, you can see it in their eyes they want to gtfo. 

Ekholm is 33. I can't see how the oilers are going to make the playoffs this year which means a complete overhaul of the roster is required this summer and mortgaging the future for 1 season before Drais leaves. They also need to upgrade while they are at the cap limit

9.25 for Nurse is insane.

There's way too  many holes here to fix

3 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Oilers main issue is their defense, they aren't going to trade Ekholm away, especially for Beau. 

Yes in an ideal world, oilers would need to start trading guys like hyman, nuge, Ryan for better defence. But those guys have zero value. So it would cost to get rid of them to even create cap space. 

But then, how are you gonna acquire D with zero assets? Any asset you might have had, you traded it to dump the guys I just mentioned. 

There's no one in the farm.

Honestly. These guys are screwed. The fact they wasted 4m on Connor Brown is a joke. This happens when Mcdavid runs the show not the GM. 

Their best and only trade chips are Mcdrai and ekholm.. 

Everyone else is negative value. 

As much as it hurts them and they will be the laughing stock for squandering the mcdrai years, they need to trade the 3 mentioned and start over by tanking and drafting (again for the 20th year) 

What a nightmare.... 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

I might have put more value in Raty than a mid level prospect but that's correct. He's the future 3c here. 

While we might consider Beau garbage, he'd be an upgrade over many Oiler wingers. 

If oilers are absolutely going for it now and willing to double down, I'm gonna grab some popcorn and watch them dig their own grave. 

I just don't see how Drais and Mcdavid will re-sign there. When you watch their interviews, you can see it in their eyes they want to gtfo. 

Ekholm is 33. I can't see how the oilers are going to make the playoffs this year which means a complete overhaul of the roster is required this summer and mortgaging the future for 1 season before Drais leaves. They also need to upgrade while they are at the cap limit

9.25 for Nurse is insane.

There's way too  many holes here to fix

It doesn't matter what you think should happen - what matters is what you think will happen.  And with Ken Holland at the helm, there will absolutely NOT be a rebuild.  The Edmonton Oilers will continue its path and win or die trying.  Do you honestly think Holland can wave the white flag and not get fired?

Bless his heart, but Beauvillier is trash.  Don't even try to talk up his value.  He doesn't kill penalties and he can barely generate any offense of his own.  There is a reason Tocchet has tried promoting any other player but him this season - he sucks.  He has less points than Sam Lafferty and he costs a hell of a lot more.  Everyone knows you're trying to dump him so don't even think you can get any kind of decent return.  More likely you will have to pay to get rid of him.