38 minutes ago, Pears said:

Myers though would be addition by subtraction. We need to drop him before he starts costing us points and games. 

I'm not a big fan of Tyler Myers - he is an analytical nightmare who makes defensive gaffes often resulting in a scoring chance against or a penalty.  But he has been generating a lot of offense lately.  His numbers have gone up.  Better him over the other options right now.  Our backup defencemen (Hirose, Friedman, McWard) are all playing less than 10 minutes per game.  That's not good enough.

This is the worst possible time to be trading away defencemen.  It's unthinkable.

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry, I'd rather have Myers than Klingberg...

OP is suggesting we dump Myers outright.  For picks.

I think Klingberg has played his last NHL game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

As much as this pains me to say, I don't think we're as desperate for cap as we were before the Beau trade. And y'all realize after Hronek and Myers our RHD depth is Friedman, Juulsen, and McWard. Are we trying to lose? We meme Myers, but he's literally the only other NHL caliber RHD we have outside of Hronek. We can't have all 3 of the aforementioned guys in the lineup at the same time and think we can win. Hughes and Hronek are gonna get run into the ground before February. Even if/when we sign Bear, we probably shouldn't look to trade Myers.

• Cheers 1

Trading Myers would be a shortsighted and confusing move unless there is another deal in the works for a top 4 RHD.

Yes he makes gaffes, but his game has improved overall, and we are better with him than without him.

Can you imagine the minutes Hughes and Hronek would have to play if we lose another NHL quality D-man?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Klinger is gone. Never mentioned player for player. A pick only.

We open more cap

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Opens up more cap to retain a nhl caliber defenceman . With less risk of mistakes and hurting our chances.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

One stretch where he isn't taking stupid penalties or making boneheaded mistakes doesn't change anything. He's a proven liability in his own end. 

Again numbers refute that more often than not. And any two way dman has gaffes Quinn is not immune to this and neither is Hronek. 

13 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

You and I both know the Canucks are in no position to be trading away any defencemen.

We do think the same. But l do believe Alvin has a card up his sleeve. From what he's been doing ,  he had a plan in place that benefits our team.

However, I  don't think keeping our Defence as is until the trade deadline, is a good idea.

If a move or moves happen earlier. Adjustments for chemistry will be already in place. 

Our trade history at the tdl is usually to little , to late.

Just my opinion.

46 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Again numbers refute that more often than not. And any two way dman has gaffes Quinn is not immune to this and neither is Hronek. 

Point of view. Quinn and Hronek are no where near the error level. They do however more than make up and make effort to correct it 

6 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Point of view. Quinn and Hronek are no where near the error level. They do however more than make up and make effort to correct it 

I never said they didn't, but any puck moving dman is prone to errors. It is a risky part of the game the elite ones just make fewer and less egregious ones when they do. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Like 1

Yeah agree with everyone that moving Meyers alone right now isn't a good idea. We need him even if it sucks to say lol. 

If Van can acquire another top 4 Dman then perhaps a deal could open up to move Meyers to Tor for a pick and one of their injured players (to make cap work), even then I'd like them to get another bottom pair Dman too. 

Canucks are in a fun, but tough spot. They wanna go for playoffs so that means winning on the ice comes first even if we have to miss out on acquiring an asset or two along the way. 

16 hours ago, snowman955 said:

The laffs d is hurting . Possible loss for season in klinberg.

Our🦒 would be an add that may assist. 

Could we ask for a pick. No player on that team is needed here.

Headache gone. Our players are safe.

Even after acquiring Z.

I stand firm on my opinion.

22 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Friedman, Juulsen, and McWard

2 out of those 3 are journeyman/depth players. McWard is so young still (21); he's got some time on his hands. I didn't think he was bad the other night, but he hasn't shown that he's head and shoulders above everyone else down in Abby. Neither has Hirose. 

Myers is playing well by my eye test and his numbers this season support that. We’re now playing in a system where a winger comes back low for the outlet pass up or around the boards and we’re giving up less 2 on 1’s which removes a lot of his ‘gaffes’ where there wasn’t an automatic play and he had to think.

There are very few dmen that play with tanev level hockey iq that make can make the safe play under pressure without consistent support. He’s a long way from perfect, and sure, it’s been ‘fun’(?) for some to make him the whipping boy during our crap play of recent years but that’s a garbage take.

3 coaches in Vancouver have thought well of him and used him as a key dman. 3 coaches who want/wanted to keep their jobs and weren’t playing him in spots because they had to.  He’s a big athletic guy who isnt the quickest thinker out there, but is a quality defender when he isn’t trying to do other player’s jobs and players are where they’re expected to be when the team defends.

He’s obviously a couple million overpaid - perhaps the most overpaid guy on the team at the moment, but unless we’re adding a first and upgrading to a pesce or crouse level player, we’d be a worse team for moving him.

I don’t love Tocchet, but i respect him and his opinion. He likes Myers and is playing him in the #3/4 D spot (slight edge to Cole most nights) - there are a number of quotes that can be looked up to support that.  

3 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Myers is playing well by my eye test and his numbers this season support that. We’re now playing in a system where a winger comes back low for the outlet pass up or around the boards and we’re giving up less 2 on 1’s which removes a lot of his ‘gaffes’ where there wasn’t an automatic play and he had to think.

There are very few dmen that play with tanev level hockey iq that make can make the safe play under pressure without consistent support. He’s a long way from perfect, and sure, it’s been ‘fun’(?) for some to make him the whipping boy during our crap play of recent years but that’s a garbage take.

3 coaches in Vancouver have thought well of him and used him as a key dman. 3 coaches who want/wanted to keep their jobs and weren’t playing him in spots because they had to.  He’s a big athletic guy who isnt the quickest thinker out there, but is a quality defender when he isn’t trying to do other player’s jobs and players are where they’re expected to be when the team defends.

He’s obviously a couple million overpaid - perhaps the most overpaid guy on the team at the moment, but unless we’re adding a first and upgrading to a pesce or crouse level player, we’d be a worse team for moving him.

I don’t love Tocchet, but i respect him and his opinion. He likes Myers and is playing him in the #3/4 D spot (slight edge to Cole most nights) - there are a number of quotes that can be looked up to support that.  

I thank you for your opinion. Mine differs greatly about him. 

Mind you l was not in the same frame of mind when he came here.

However l believe he's on borrowed time. His age,speed and read have all contributed to being a limited player.

3 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

I thank you for your opinion. Mine differs greatly about him. 

Mind you l was not in the same frame of mind when he came here.

However l believe he's on borrowed time. His age,speed and read have all contributed to being a limited player.

Fair enough, but i’d argue his speed/skating is good for his size - as good or better than Zad and Soucy. He’s younger than Cole - who seems to have unanimous support from this fan base right now. 

Sure, he isn’t a difference maker like qh or hronek and represents inefficient cap space by at least a couple million.  Straight swap for Tanev? yeah probably a good move if he stayed healthy for the playoffs.

As much as us fans know better than the coach and gm, I’m going to defer to them on Myers the player.  

1 hour ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Fair enough, but i’d argue his speed/skating is good for his size - as good or better than Zad and Soucy. He’s younger than Cole - who seems to have unanimous support from this fan base right now. 

Sure, he isn’t a difference maker like qh or hronek and represents inefficient cap space by at least a couple million.  Straight swap for Tanev? yeah probably a good move if he stayed healthy for the playoffs.

As much as us fans know better than the coach and gm, I’m going to defer to them on Myers the player.  

If this means anything, l don't think tanev is our answer.

22 hours ago, snowman955 said:

If this means anything, l don't think tanev is our answer.

Agreed, but he’d be a clear upgrade on Juulsen and Friedmen. Curious what you think our defense needs to get to the competitor level. I know you don’t like Myers, but you can’t honestly think that shipping him out without a top guy coming in improves us enough to get there.

When healthy, I like what we have now, but I think we’re still missing a good #3 if the plan is to play Hughes and Hronek together.  Our second and third pairings are somewhat interchangeable now as I think all those players are at a similar level and should get similar minutes depending on who’s ‘on’ or ‘off’ on any given night.

It would be nice to have a someone else who can drive a pairing at a top two-way level and take some minutes from H&H as I think they’re being overplayed.

Myers would be the obvious guy to swap out for salary reasons (or garland or kuz), but it’d cost a lot in assets at this point  and i’m not sure the team is really there yet to be sending out first round picks for immediate help.

I would  not move Kuz or Garland. They do serve a purpose. 

Kuz is in a rut,he will come out of it.

Garland is doing his thing that is as near a pest as you can get.

I have no interest in trading away any pics at this time. Yet when the tdl comes,l would consider options.

With the cost of d men now ,it's near impossible to afford a comparable player your looking for. Yet we do need another  D.

Oh l would not make anymore divisional trades. Z is all that and more than what was expected.

Mind you l am interested in Hoyt Stanley  with ottawa, he's still green.

16 minutes ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Agreed, but he’d be a clear upgrade on Juulsen and Friedmen. Curious what you think our defense needs to get to the competitor level. I know you don’t like Myers, but you can’t honestly think that shipping him out without a top guy coming in improves us enough to get there.

When healthy, I like what we have now, but I think we’re still missing a good #3 if the plan is to play Hughes and Hronek together.  Our second and third pairings are somewhat interchangeable now as I think all those players are at a similar level and should get similar minutes depending on who’s ‘on’ or ‘off’ on any given night.

It would be nice to have a someone else who can drive a pairing at a top two-way level and take some minutes from H&H as I think they’re being overplayed.

Myers would be the obvious guy to swap out for salary reasons (or garland or kuz), but it’d cost a lot in assets at this point  and i’m not sure the team is really there yet to be sending out first round picks for immediate help.

Hold until TDL. See where we stand.