2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

6 minutes ago, 24K said:

Honestly a little hard to judge anyone given how dog shit Calgary looked.

All I can conclude is I would send every Calgary player they ice back to junior if possible.

Yeah, I do wonder if what Conroy was saying was pretty relevant. We had guys like 24-year old Hirose playing, which may have given us a significant advantage.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Watched the game posted after it was over.

I guess we should have won over the younger cowturds, but it was still immensely enjoyable to watch the baby Canucks lay down a beating.

Players who stood out for me in no particular order were

Bains

Gatcomb

Klimovich

McDonough

Maillet

Sasson

Johansson

McWard

And the goalie Tolopilo wasn't busy but looked sharp when he was

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Watched the game posted after it was over.

I guess we should have won over the younger cowturds, but it was still immensely enjoyable to watch the baby Canucks lay down a beating.

Players who stood out for me in no particular order were

Bains

Gatcomb

Klimovich

McDonough

Maillet

Sasson

Johansson

McWard

And the goalie Tolopilo wasn't busy but looked sharp when he was

I'm honestly super high on Klimovich after what I saw from him in Abby last year. Kid is still young and took a huge step last year. Another step like that and he might even get some NHL games this year. I'm banking on him being one of the top forwards in Abbotsford this year.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm honestly super high on Klimovich after what I saw from him in Abby last year. Kid is still young and took a huge step last year. Another step like that and he might even get some NHL games this year. I'm banking on him being one of the top forwards in Abbotsford this year.

He's got a ton of raw physical ability it just seems to be a matter of how engaged he is in the game.

Gaining that pro maturity is part of the process for him being so young, but he definitely has the ability to be a player.

• Cheers 1

Not the busiest game for Tolopilo but you see why they signed him. The size is obvious but he moves so well - and not just quickness but the precision in his movement to not overcommit - small sample but he looks like he could be a player, will be very interested to see how he does in Abby.

Hirose looked like an NHL player obviously, and Max Sasson looks pretty close too. He looked physically better than almost everyone with his strength + skating ability, and plays a dependable game.

As far as the younger guys I think Brzustewicz & Alriksson were the best.

Brz wasn't perfect but you see the talent in his puck handling & he's very smooth. Its also a tough tourney for young D given its a very choppy game & your often playing against guys with pro experience. And he also played a ton in all situations, I thought he did well.

Alriksson might be the most impressive guy relative to expectations imo. You see the raw ability on top of the hulking size. He skates very well, he has quick hands, he reads the play very well & knows where his teammates are when he picks up the puck, plus he's willing to play hard in the dirty areas. I really liked what I saw from him. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, I do wonder if what Conroy was saying was pretty relevant. We had guys like 24-year old Hirose playing, which may have given us a significant advantage.

Having a cool, calm, experienced defenceman out there for the Nucks, one that already has some NHL ice time under his belt probably made a huge impact upon the team as a whole.

Didn't notice, but wondering if he was wearing an A?

14 minutes ago, Canuck-Oni said:

Having a cool, calm, experienced defenceman out there for the Nucks, one that already has some NHL ice time under his belt probably made a huge impact upon the team as a whole.

Didn't notice, but wondering if he was wearing an A?

I didn't catch it. I noticed Gatcomb had an A.

59 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sad thing is I like all these young players. That was one hell of a game last night. And best of all they worked well as a team.

Going to have to see some Abby Canuck games this season.

I highly recommend the AHLTV package........saved hockey season for me last year.  I expect they're going to be more fun to watch this year, though I don't know if they replicate last year's success

• Cheers 2