Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?

Crimson JH

Who will be next in line for the Ring of Honour?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be next?

• Alex Edler
    • Ryan Kesler
    • Elias Pettersson
    • Quinn Hughes
    • Brock Boeser
    • Other (suggest in comments)

Kesler is on the edge IMO, but I could see it. Edler is a shoo-in though. He'll very likely be next.

For other guys with fewer games currently on the team, it will likely just depend on how long they last. If any of them play 900+ games, they have a solid shot at jersey retirement, though the thought of retiring Miller, Hughes, Petey, and Boeser does feel like a lot of numbers, haha. I'm sure not all of those guys will play 900+ games with the team and at least one of them will either retire early from injuries, get traded, or sign elsewhere at some point.

Odds are that one or two of Miller, Hughes, Petey, Boeser, and Demko get their numbers retired and maybe another one or two gets to the ROH. Miller and Hughes are currently the most likely, just due to the lengths of their contracts. If Petey signs a long deal or Boeser signs an early extension this summer, I could see those guys becomeing more likely as candidates too.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

Edler or Bieksa,

My question is what happens once the ring is filled, do we extend the stadium? 🤔

My guess is they at some point just re-do all the areas and make them smaller to fit more.

19 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

Here's the thing with kesler (who is my all time favorite player). 

If he makes the ROH I think Horvat has to make the ROH too based on length of tenure with the Canucks and stats. So if you can live with Bo being in the ROH yes I think kes is in.

I disagree based on effort output, kes gave 110% till injuries piled up, Horvat seemed to save it for the playoffs.

I voted Kesler, but I change my mind.

I think Edler deservers to get in. He currently holds a lot of the D records, I believe. Drafted and developed by VAN, Edler played 15 years for the Canucks. 

As for retiring Lu's number, I think the next number that goes up should be a player who wins VAN a Cup. One day they will have a goalie up there - #35

52 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

If he makes the ROH I think Horvat has to make the ROH too based on length of tenure with the Canucks and stats. So if you can live with Bo being in the ROH yes I think kes is in.

It's not about stats though.  Kesler still goes above Bo based on how much he was willing to sacrifice in the playoffs for us.  The guy was an absolute warrior.

• Like 1

I'd be okay with Gino.

I still don't think that Kes, Edler, Bieksa have done enough to warrant it.

Petey, JT, Hughes, and you forgot Demko... their career isn't long enough yet. Mind you if they bring home the cup then all bets are off.

10 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Once the ring is filled we call the job complete and put a picture of Messier's face with a #11 in every urinal.

twould be worth the price of a ticket just to visit the men's room for that...

but we'd have to figure out something for the ladies to be able to join in the fun. 

Edited by grumpyone

56 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

Even with his personality issues and the way he left town I would have Kesler way way above Horvat for the ROH.  Horvat really doesn't separate himself statistically a great deal from other Canucks who don't get talked about for the ROH like Tony Tanti, Doug Lidster, Don Lever and several others.  And then guys like Lever had the ironman record, guys like Ronning were playoff heroes year after year, and so on.  Bo...he was a good consistent player...in a pretty unpleasant era of Canucks hockey and save for the bubble playoffs really leaves little behind in terms of great Canucks memories.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I'd be okay with Gino.

Petey, JT, Hughes, and you forgot Demko... their career isn't long enough yet. Mind you if they bring home the cup then all bets are off.

Gino Odjick should have been in the ROH years ago.  Gino, Tiger Williams, Richard Brodeur and Andre Boudrias.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I'd be okay with Gino.

I find it hard to argue Edler wasn't at least as important to this franchise as Ohlund was and Ohlund's in the ROH. Edler's beaten pretty much all of Ohlund's records.

• ThereItIs 2