[PROPOSAL] I think I found our new 2C

So with the Lotto Line back together again and Petey and Miller playing unreal together, it looks like we may be better off trying to acquire another centre versus a winger.  The new centre would need to play with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev, so it would have to be someone who is very good defensively and can also produce some offence.  A set up man for Kuzmenko would be ideal.  I was throwing around Buchnevich, but honestly he is not really a centre, he’s primarily a winger.

So in comes my next choice and someone that probably can be had for a lot cheaper than Buchnevich…

To Vancouver:

Alexander Wennberg (50% retention)

To Seattle:

Nils Höglander 

Vancouver does this because if we are keeping the Lotto Line together then we need a 2C.  Wennberg may not really be a 2C but he is an upgrade on Suter and I think given better linemates he can produce more offensively.  He is a good set up man and is a fast skater so I think he would work well with Kuzmenko.  Höglander is pretty much redundant on our team now and is a 4th liner for us but could be a 20 goal scorer on another team in the top 6.  This is why Seattle does the deal.  They get a young cost controlled winger who could break out while trading a pending UFA.

Also, Wennberg is Swedish so he probably signs an extension to play in Vancouver.  He wouldn’t break the bank either and is still only 29 years old, so he can play with us for a few more years and even be a 4C in the future as he gets older.  He is fast, very good defensively and will also help our penalty kill. 

Höglander still has potential but he is not a Tocchet guy and we have lots of other wingers coming up in the pipeline to replace him…

Pettersson    Miller           Boeser

Kuzmenko    Wennberg    Mikheyev

Joshua         Blueger        Garland

Podkolzin     Suter            Lafferty

Aman

I can see Podkolzin coming up for the playoffs and playing on the 4th line….   

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So with the Lotto Line back together again and Petey and Miller playing unreal together, it looks like we may be better off trying to acquire another centre versus a winger.  The new centre would need to play with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev, so it would have to be someone who is very good defensively and can also produce some offence.  A set up man for Kuzmenko would be ideal.  I was throwing around Buchnevich, but honestly he is not really a centre, he’s primarily a winger.

So in comes my next choice and someone that probably can be had for a lot cheaper than Buchnevich…

To Vancouver:

To Seattle:

Nils Höglander 

Vancouver does this because if we are keeping the Lotto Line together then we need a 2C.  Wennberg may not really be a 2C but he is an upgrade on Suter and I think given better linemates he can pruduce more offensively.  He is a good set up man and is a fast skater so I think he would work well with Kuzmenko.  Höglander is pretty much redundant on our team now and is a 4th liner for us but could be a 20 goal scorer on another team in the top 6.  This is why Seattle does the deal.  They get a young cost controlled winger who could break out while trading a pending UFA.

Also, Wennberg is Swedish so he probably signs an extension to play in Vancouver.  He wouldn’t break the bank either and is still only 0 years old, so he can play with us for a few more years and even be a 4C in the future as he gets older.  He is fast, very good defensively and will also help our penalty kill. 

Höglander still potential but he is not a Tocchet guy and we have lots of other wingers coming up in the pipeline to replace him…

Aman

Petey is a centre. Petey played centre against the Devils. (Miller took some winger draws)

Wingers are cheaper to acquire than centres. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is a centre. Petey played centre against the Devils. (Miller took some winger draws)

Sure, however you want to put them together they would be on the same line.  So we need a 2C if we want to keep the Lotto Line together.  Wennberg can also play on the wing, so he could technically play with Petey if we want to move Miller back to being a 2C…

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Vancouver:

To Seattle:

Nils Höglander 

Vancouver does this because if we are keeping the Lotto Line together then we need a 2C.  Wennberg may not really be a 2C but he is an upgrade on Suter and I think given better linemates he can produce more offensively.  He is a good set up man and is a fast skater so I think he would work well with Kuzmenko.  Höglander is pretty much redundant on our team now and is a 4th liner for us but could be a 20 goal scorer on another team in the top 6.  This is why Seattle does the deal.  They get a young cost controlled winger who could break out while trading a pending UFA.

Also, Wennberg is Swedish so he probably signs an extension to play in Vancouver.  He wouldn’t break the bank either and is still only 29 years old, so he can play with us for a few more years and even be a 4C in the future as he gets older.  He is fast, very good defensively and will also help our penalty kill. 

Höglander still has potential but he is not a Tocchet guy and we have lots of other wingers coming up in the pipeline to replace him…

Aman

Great idea and I almost completely agree with it.  Just a few things:

1. As Alflives pointed out, Petey should be the centre on this line (with Miller taking winger draws).

2. I'd keep Podkolzin cooking in the A.  Put PDG on that LW.  

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

PDG.            Suter            Lafferty

Aman

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

Great idea and I almost completely agree with it.  Just a few things:

1. As Alflives pointed out, Petey should be the centre on this line (with Miller taking winger draws).

2. I'd keep Podkolzin cooking in the A.  Put PDG on that LW.  

Miller            Pettersson    Boeser

PDG.            Suter            Lafferty

Aman

I’m not a big PDG fan, but that 4th line spot could be filled by anyone.  We could even trade for someone at the deadline who has playoff experience. Podkolzin should be on the roster come playoff time depending on how far Abby goes in the playoffs.  So he could be an option in the playoffs…

• Cheers 1

I HATE to say it but there is 1 glaring person the Canucks should be targeting and it's Elias Lindholm.

His stock is lowest it's been in his whole career and now should be the time to pounce. Another great option is Sean Monahan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

I HATE to say it but there is 1 glaring person the Canucks should be targeting and it's Elias Lindholm.

His stock is lowest it's been in his whole career and now should be the time to pounce. Another great option is Sean Monahan.

Monahan is washed imo.  Buddy belongs at Neverland Ranch.

I agree with you on Lindholm but I don’t think Calgary will be sellers until the deadline at the earliest (and if they are completely out of contention).  

I think Lindholm as a rental (ie this year’s version of what Tyler Toffoli was for us in 2020) might be a decent idea.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller played C. But was thrown out of what seemed like every faceoff.  Petey is only a C when talking contract for some reason.

ARI! cool to have you back man. I thought about Lindholm too but the cap hit and price are likely too rich for my blood. 

One can dream.... He's by far the best fit here and would solitify us as a legitimate contender.... But cost would probably be higher than the benefit.

33 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

Miller played C. But was thrown out of what seemed like every faceoff.  Petey is only a C when talking contract for some reason.

After the draw Petey played the centre position. 
Them’s the facts. Now bow to the empties. 🙇 

• Cheers 1

Would rather just keep Suter as our 2C instead. I feel like people underrate Hogs a lot here, I wouldn't trade him at all. Has top 6 potential and a ton of skill, cost controlled and seems like he's close to breaking out.

Miller-Pettersson-Kuzmenko 

Mikheyev-Suter-Boeser 

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

PDG-Lafferty-Hoglander

I’m wondering if the above line combos could still give us a legit top line while still paying attention to the depth of our Top 3 lines.

What better way to get Kuzmenko out of his funk by playing him our two best forwards?  

The Garland line remains in tact and continues to obliterate the sphincters of other 3rd lines.  

The Mikheyev-Suter-Boeser line becomes our new match-up line.  Suter and Mikheyev are exceptional defensively and have just enough offensive skill to burn teams.  This would be further amplified with Boeser as the RW.  

I guess what I’m saying here, is maybe we don’t need to trade for a second line C?

6 hours ago, AriGold said:

What about the Blue Jackets captain?

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

A guy that hasn't cracked 40 points in 7 years and has only taken 23 faceoffs this year? Yeah I'm not entirely sure what you were looking at there. 

Wennberg has taken 622 faceoffs so far this year. 

As for points, what exactly are you expecting to get for Nils Höglander, a guy that is currently playing on our 4th line?  You think we are getting Elias Lindholm straight up for Höglander?  

At the very least Wennberg fills a position of need at low cost and is very good defensively so will help our penalty kill. If he is put with some offensive players his production may increase as well. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His defensive game is at least similar to Petey’s. As for his offensive production, I am sure that would increase playing in Vancouver versus playing in Seattle. 

He's not second line center quality at all anymore. Swapping Höglander for him makes us worse. 

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His defensive game is at least similar to Petey’s. As for his offensive production, I am sure that would increase playing in Vancouver versus playing in Seattle. 

Wait, now.  You're suggesting he get put on a line with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.  Who's going to run the offense on that line?  I guess you can play aggressively and get Hughes/Myers/Hronek involved, but there's no playmaker on that line.  You would have to try and pull up Garland, which defeats the purpose of this trade.

This year, Wennberg has had playing time with Schwartz, Tanev, McCann, and Bjorkstrand.  Not the most electric group of guys but he should be producing more than 15 points if he wants to be a 2nd line centre on a playoff team.

51 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Wait, now.  You're suggesting he get put on a line with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev.  Who's going to run the offense on that line?  I guess you can play aggressively and get Hughes/Myers/Hronek involved, but there's no playmaker on that line.  You would have to try and pull up Garland, which defeats the purpose of this trade.

This year, Wennberg has had playing time with Schwartz, Tanev, McCann, and Bjorkstrand.  Not the most electric group of guys but he should be producing more than 15 points if he wants to be a 2nd line centre on a playoff team.

Wennberg is a cheap option to try and fill the 2C position while the Lotto Line is doing its thing. Wennberg is sound defensively and could maybe produce some more points playing with Kuzmenko. Wennberg is known as a set up man and is a great skater. Worst case is he helps us defensively. 

If you want a slam dunk 2C like Elias Lindholm then be prepared to trade your 2024 1st plus Höglander plus Podkolzin.