Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Rubik

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Report from Dahliwal on Demko

Sounds like it isn't too serious, and glad it isn't to do with the groin. Maybe a slight MCL or ACL sprain?? Not a terrible time for him to miss a few games; get Desmith some consecutive starts with breaks to work with Ian. In additiuon, maybe get Silovs a game or two for playoff insurance. I'd honestly sit him for 5-7 games IF DeSmith is holding down the fort.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

oh god....i hope it really is not more serious and that he heals up without sideeffects. injuries to the knee can be so tricky and hopefully the prognosis is accurate. hoping for the best....hes a key component to succesful playoffs.... Sad Changes GIF by Hollyoaks

He tweaked his knee. He'll be back in couple weeks..

This might be a blessing in disguise. Get him couple weeks off games so he'll be fresh for the playoffs.. 

World works in a mysterious way sometimes these things make the stars align. 

He'll feel fresh and go on a streak and take us to the Cup.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

2 weeks = 4 games

3 weeks =7 games

4 weeks = 11 games

ya huge RIP if its 4 weeks 😞 desmith is good, but not that good esp with that many games, and silov or whoever they bring up will be rough

57 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

In before the Anti Rick crowd chimes in that he pushed Thatcher into too many starts.....

Not sure how Rick does it, but I think a lot of head coaches leave that to the goalie coach these days.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure how Rick does it, but I think a lot of head coaches leave that to the goalie coach these days.

Boudreau on record recently saying he left it almost exclusively to Ian Clark and the Demmer. Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a similar situation with Tocc. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Until we here directly from the Canucks tomorrow about Demko,we don't know for sure. I posted the information from a generally reliable source of information.

I'm hoping more like two to three weeks at worst..

8 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

In before the Anti Rick crowd chimes in that he pushed Thatcher into too many starts.....

Not part of the anti Rick crowd, but there is valid concern around overplaying Demko. Demko has shown that when healthy he's one of the top goalies in the league. However, he has also shown that when he gets pushed as a workhorse he gets injured or his play starts to suffer or both. 

Demko is an incredible asset to this team and very well could end up in the Luongo/McLean echelon of goalies with this franchise. But there are very few goalies in the NHL now who can be a Luongo/Brodeur/Lundqvist style workhorse starter. 

A Demko on pace for 65+ games or even 60+ games seems to not be a recipe for success. For long-term success it would likely be much better to give him a schedule in line for 50-55 games and have a solid backup that can play 30. I thought DeSmith would give us that, but the coaches decided not to do that for whatever reason.

Edit: Ironically it looks like Demko now will be in the 50-55 game range. This might actually be a blessing in disguise to give him a little bit of rest and have him fresh for the playoffs.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Upvote 1