Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Rubik

18 hours ago, Sativika said:

Love Thatcher. He's a Demmer God!!!!!! (Sorry. Somewhat of a groaner, huh.) Other than his injury plagued issues last season;  dude's been lights out since the start of this season. Demmer's contract was a brilliant piece of work, and I'm sooooooo glad we have him for our accent to cup contention. On a side note...........

.........Whenever SN Canuck game telecasts introduce the starting goalies, more often than not, the opposing goalie's already in his net stretching or doing drills and such. However, Demmer's somewhere by his team bench along the boards, maskless and snortin' what I believe to be smelling salts. I mean REALLY snortin' it up! 

Don't get me wrong. I'm in no way criticizing this exercise and/or his pre-game ritual. Whatever floats ones boat, right? But smelling salts are really powerful stuff. And I assume it's harmless. But I dunno. Any users of smelling salts out there? Educate me on this, if you please. I'm guessing this action is integral to Demmer's success and consistent performance.

I mean, every player has their routines. As I said; definitely not a criticism, just an observation. It is working though. 

Keep up the good work, Demmer!

Smelling salts are ammonia. Essentially it works as an irritant, but it is a chemical gas which is toxic and can cause chemical burns if you're not careful. However, the most common issue Demko might face is that he could potentially dull his sense of smell by slightly burning his nostrals.

11 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Smelling salts are ammonia. Essentially it works as an irritant, but it is a chemical gas which is toxic and can cause chemical burns if you're not careful. However, the most common issue Demko might face is that he could potentially dull his sense of smell by slightly burning his nostrals.

And if so, it would give him heightened senses other ways.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2016/01/losing-senses-rewires-others-study.html

Demko losing sense of smell to level up on his other goalie super powers? I think so. 😉

Edited by conquestofbaguettes

17 hours ago, Diamonds said:

6 hours ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

And if so, it would give him heightened senses other ways.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2016/01/losing-senses-rewires-others-study.html

Demko losing sense of smell to level up on his other goalie super powers? I think so. 😉

Ammonia? I didn't know that. That sh*t's bad. Well, it's good, but bad in other ways as you mention above. Especially sense of smell! Man. I would die if I lost my sense of smell. I'm a Chef and I depend on it. 

Interesting article. Thanks for that. I highly doubt that's Demmer's agenda for the usage of such! (I gotcha' conquestofbaguettes!😉)

Whatever though, it's working' for Demmer.

Glad he got the day off yesterday. Great to have a backup in DeSmith!

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

We're so lucky to have Demko in Canucks colours. I hope he retires as a Canuck. Depending on when this team gets hot, they could go on a long playoff run. All about timing. 

• Upvote 1

Thatcher Demko just got his 100th career NHL win.  He is now 5th place for all-time wins as a Canucks goaltender?

It's times like this that remind me how bad this club has been (with the "goalie graveyard" to boot) over the past 40+ years. Our starting goaltender is now 5th in wins... yet having played so few seasons. 

Make it to 1st, Demmers! ❤

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Thatcher Demko just got his 100th career NHL win.  He is now 5th place for all-time wins as a Canucks goaltender?

It's times like this that remind me how bad this club has been (with the "goalie graveyard" to boot) over the past 40+ years. Our starting goaltender is now 5th in wins... yet having played so few seasons. 

Aha, you beat me to it.

Only 10 wins away from 4th.

image.png.e3182de1f545585202013a17290faa48.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

I think if he remains a Canuck long enough, he'll pass Luongo eventually, and if he remains healthy enough too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Nothing against him but it tells you a lot about our "goalie graveyard" history esp in the late 90s/early 2000's that Clouts is 4th all time. Thank goodness its been a little more stable since then 😀. 3 of the top 5 have been our last 3 #1 goaltenders

Here's to many more in the future! He will be in 4th soon and closing in on 3rd by the end of the season.

Edited by futurefilm
  • Cheers 1

Love that Demko is really starting to make his mark in Canuck record books now, ahead of Marky and should catch Cloutier too.

Focusing more on the recent hockey, he's been struggling a fair bit more. Since December he has a strong record of 8-2-1, but only a .900 save percentage. The team's been outscoring our problems, but it would be great if Demmer could also be consistently elite like we know he can be.

A little more than half way into the season, and this guy is a major reason for our seasons success.

Making the coach look brilliant, might even win him the Jack Adams.

Demko has done a great job in those times when the rest of the team goes brain dead. 

Keeps them in it, until they wake up.

He, and DeSmith, playing well have made the difference.

• Like 2

I like that Demko is being recognized as a top tender with his All-star nod. What I don't like is a tender trying to shine in a nothing skills and game. Being cold and trying to play is an injury risk IMHO. The skaters not such a risk. 

Demko has started 35 of the Canucks 49 games this season. To this point, only three goalies around the league have started more. At this current rate, Demko is projected to get the net in 59 of the team’s 82 games. That’s not an outrageous number for a bona fide starter, but it has entered ‘this is definitely a situation worth keeping an eye on’ territory with so many key Western Conference match-ups down the stretch. How will the Canucks handle their Demko decisions moving forward?
The Canucks have three sets of back-to-backs remaining on their schedule (February 10th and 11th at Detroit and Washington, February 19th and 20th at Minnesota and Colorado and April 2nd and 3rd at Vegas and Arizona). Those will almost certainly be split in some fashion. Beyond that, the Canucks will have a choice to make in goal on an almost nightly basis. 

With the stakes as high as they are to win the West and get a more favourable first round playoff opponent, will the Canucks feel the need to lean on Demko more than they have to this point in the season which is 71% of the starts so far?
Casey DeSmith has proven to be a terrific pick-up for the Canucks and has delivered wins in half – and points in 11 – of his 14 starts (7-3-4). However, he has just one win in his four since Christmas. Will the coaching staff continue to put its faith in DeSmith when the Canucks hit a stretch of key conference games? Half of DeSmith’s 14 starts have come against Western opponents. He was terrific in an early season win in Edmonton, but otherwise has faced only mid to lower tier Western competition (Minnesota twice, Calgary, Nashville, San Jose and St. Louis in his last start on January 24th). 
With 33 games from the All Star break to the end of the season, the current pace would have Demko slated to start 24 of them. But with four games against Los Angeles, three each with Vegas and Winnipeg, two left against Colorado (not to mention both of their games left with Boston) and one each versus Edmonton and Dallas, the club is going to have to fight the desire to play the wheels off Demko down the stretch. Those games are going to be important, certainly, but not nearly as important as keeping Demko healthy and ready for the team’s first playoff contests in four years.
The Canucks begin with eight of 10 out of the break away from home. That stretch may give us an indication of whether the team will turn to its back-up more than it has to this point in the season. If not, then there is a strong possibility that Demko will exceed 60-plus starts on the season. That feels like it’s putting him in the danger zone of two years ago when he established a career-high with 61 starts but couldn’t finish the season due to a workload-related injury.
Last season, seven goalies across the league started 60 or more games and only one of them (Jake Oettinger in Dallas) advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs. So there is probably a lesson to be learned that every goalie has his limit.
The Canucks have established one of the best netminding tandems in the league this season and will have to trust the fact they’ve got two guys that can deliver victories. 
And more than that, they need to keep the big picture in mind as they push toward the playoffs.

49 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:
Demko has started 35 of the Canucks 49 games this season. To this point, only three goalies around the league have started more. At this current rate, Demko is projected to get the net in 59 of the team’s 82 games. That’s not an outrageous number for a bona fide starter, but it has entered ‘this is definitely a situation worth keeping an eye on’ territory with so many key Western Conference match-ups down the stretch. How will the Canucks handle their Demko decisions moving forward?
The Canucks have three sets of back-to-backs remaining on their schedule (February 10th and 11th at Detroit and Washington, February 19th and 20th at Minnesota and Colorado and April 2nd and 3rd at Vegas and Arizona). Those will almost certainly be split in some fashion. Beyond that, the Canucks will have a choice to make in goal on an almost nightly basis. 

With the stakes as high as they are to win the West and get a more favourable first round playoff opponent, will the Canucks feel the need to lean on Demko more than they have to this point in the season which is 71% of the starts so far?
Casey DeSmith has proven to be a terrific pick-up for the Canucks and has delivered wins in half – and points in 11 – of his 14 starts (7-3-4). However, he has just one win in his four since Christmas. Will the coaching staff continue to put its faith in DeSmith when the Canucks hit a stretch of key conference games? Half of DeSmith’s 14 starts have come against Western opponents. He was terrific in an early season win in Edmonton, but otherwise has faced only mid to lower tier Western competition (Minnesota twice, Calgary, Nashville, San Jose and St. Louis in his last start on January 24th). 
With 33 games from the All Star break to the end of the season, the current pace would have Demko slated to start 24 of them. But with four games against Los Angeles, three each with Vegas and Winnipeg, two left against Colorado (not to mention both of their games left with Boston) and one each versus Edmonton and Dallas, the club is going to have to fight the desire to play the wheels off Demko down the stretch. Those games are going to be important, certainly, but not nearly as important as keeping Demko healthy and ready for the team’s first playoff contests in four years.
The Canucks begin with eight of 10 out of the break away from home. That stretch may give us an indication of whether the team will turn to its back-up more than it has to this point in the season. If not, then there is a strong possibility that Demko will exceed 60-plus starts on the season. That feels like it’s putting him in the danger zone of two years ago when he established a career-high with 61 starts but couldn’t finish the season due to a workload-related injury.
Last season, seven goalies across the league started 60 or more games and only one of them (Jake Oettinger in Dallas) advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs. So there is probably a lesson to be learned that every goalie has his limit.
The Canucks have established one of the best netminding tandems in the league this season and will have to trust the fact they’ve got two guys that can deliver victories. 
And more than that, they need to keep the big picture in mind as they push toward the playoffs.

He played 64 games in 2021-22, so he's done it before, but yeah, once you pass 60 games these days, it starts to wear on a guy. Hellebuyck also regularly plays 60+ games and looks to be on a similar pace this year. His 64 games last year led all goalies.

• Cheers 1

Demko ties Cloutier for 4th in all-time wins.  Might catch Brodeur this year.  With the schedule ahead, will be tough.

1  Roberto Luongo 448 252 137 50
2  Kirk McLean 516 211 228 62
3  Richard Brodeur 377 126 173 52
Thatcher Demko 206 109 76 16
4  Dan Cloutier 208 109 68 24
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Demko ties Cloutier for 4th in all-time wins.  Might catch Brodeur this year.  With the schedule ahead, will be tough.

Demko is still young and with the core group he was drafted by th0e Canucks with....Boeser, Hughes, Petterson. If we keep these four together with JTM and our new core coming up (Hogz, Podz, Willingar, Dpetey, Letterkenny Silvos) We might become a "CONTENDING" team for years ahead

36 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A long way to catch the fabled top two in Luongo and McLean, but at the very least, it looks like Demko can become the sole 3rd name on the list and eventually, maybe even catch up to McLean.